frank.gordon@xtra email messages

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rider Guest

    > Caution... I just had ~1200 of them come my way, with an infected jpeg
    > attachment.

    You'd think after sending that many messages, he'd be getting RSI by now.

    Rider
    Rider, Oct 19, 2004

  3. Rider wrote:
    >>Caution... I just had ~1200 of them come my way, with an infected jpeg
    >>attachment.

    > You'd think after sending that many messages, he'd be getting RSI by now.

    heh, yeah
    it was to my spam catcher addy, and by the looks of the intervals that
    it was coming in, he has full speed jetstream, so that'll be expensive.

    1200 x "72kb email" = 86MB just to me... now it'll be double that, with
    the bounces...

    well, actually, if my mailserver refuses a connection from xtras where
    the sender is "blah", then I would assume it would go like the following.

    his machine -> Xtras SMTP -> my pop refuses "because of triggering
    rules" -> xtras pop -> him

    I really must check to see how much traffic Im doing incase Im pulling
    each one down before inspection... I would hope it only pulls the headers.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Oct 19, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    thing Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Rider wrote:
    >
    >>> Caution... I just had ~1200 of them come my way, with an infected
    >>> jpeg attachment.

    >> You'd think after sending that many messages, he'd be getting RSI by now.

    > heh, yeah
    > it was to my spam catcher addy, and by the looks of the intervals that
    > it was coming in, he has full speed jetstream, so that'll be expensive.
    >
    > 1200 x "72kb email" = 86MB just to me... now it'll be double that, with
    > the bounces...
    >
    > well, actually, if my mailserver refuses a connection from xtras where
    > the sender is "blah", then I would assume it would go like the following.
    >
    > his machine -> Xtras SMTP -> my pop refuses "because of triggering
    > rules" -> xtras pop -> him
    >
    > I really must check to see how much traffic Im doing incase Im pulling
    > each one down before inspection... I would hope it only pulls the headers.

    We get lots of direct connections from xtra, paradise, adsl/cable, if
    his machine is cracked it will mail directly not via xtra's smtp
    setup....given the 2 week delay I am seeing its sounds like that is a plan.

    I have held mail from all 3 long enough to check it for spam, so far it
    seems legit, quite a few users/comapnies using their adsl/cable for email.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Oct 19, 2004