France

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. "I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
    behind me."
    --General George S. Patton
    ------------------------------
    "Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your
    accordion."
    --General Norman Schwartzkopf
    ------------------------------
    "We can stand here like the French, or we can do something about it."
    --Marge Simpson
    ------------------------------
    "As far as I'm concerned, war always means failure."
    --Jacques Chirac, President of France

    "As far as France is concerned, you're right."
    --Rush Limbaugh
    ------------------------------
    "The only time France wants us to go to war is when the German Army is
    sitting in Paris sipping coffee."
    --Regis Philbin
    ------------------------------
    "You know, the French remind me a little bit of an aging actress of the
    1940s who was still trying to dine out on her looks but doesn't have the
    face for it."
    -- John McCain , U.S. Senator from Arizona
    ------------------------------
    "The last time the French asked for 'more proof' it came marching into
    Paris under a German flag."
    --David Letterman
    ------------------------------
    "Only thing worse than a Frenchman is a Frenchman who lives in Canada."
    --Ted Nugent
    ------------------------------
    "War without France would be like ... World War II."
    --Unknown
    ------------------------------
    "The favorite bumper sticker in Washington D.C. right now is one that
    says 'First Iraq, then France.'"
    --Tom Brokaw
    ------------------------------
    "What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its
    national will fighting against Disney World and Big Macs than the Nazis?"
    --Dennis Miller
    ------------------------------
    "It is important to remember that the French have always been there when
    they needed us."
    --Alan Kent
    -----------------------------
    "The French will only agree to go to war when we've proven we've found
    truffles in Iraq "
    --Dennis Miller
    ------------------------------
    The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the
    London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to
    Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and
    Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent
    fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling
    their military.
    --------------------------------
    French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney
    (AP), Paris , March 5, 2003
    The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the
    use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a
    nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of
    Paris , caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to
    surrender to a group of Czech tourists.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 18, 2007

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Fred Kasner Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
> [...]
    > truffles in Iraq "
    > --Dennis Miller
    > ------------------------------
    > The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the
    > London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to
    > Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and
    > Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent
    > fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively disabling
    > their military.
    > --------------------------------
    > French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney
    > (AP), Paris , March 5, 2003
    > The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the
    > use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a
    > nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside of
    > Paris , caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to

    We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
    revolution. We've repaid them twice: WWI and WWII. Their high point was
    when under Napoleon they took on all of Europe. Since then it has been
    nothing but military failure for them. Of course that is like comparing
    the ancient Roman army to the present day Italian army.
    FK
    Fred Kasner, Jul 18, 2007

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    clot Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
> [...]
    > truffles in Iraq "
    > --Dennis Miller
    > ------------------------------
    > The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the
    > London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to
    > Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and
    > Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent
    > fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively
    > disabling their military.
    > --------------------------------
    > French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney
    > (AP), Paris , March 5, 2003
    > The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the
    > use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a
    > nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside
    > of Paris , caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to

    I laughed and I'm a francophile rather than a -phobe! :)
    clot, Jul 18, 2007
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:13:14 -0500, Fred Kasner wrote:

    > We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
    > revolution.

    And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
    incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
    sitting).

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007.1 and Ubuntu 7.04

    the other English teams put together :)
    Aardvark, Jul 19, 2007
  5. Aardvark wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:13:14 -0500, Fred Kasner wrote:
    >

    >>We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
    >>revolution.

    > And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
    > incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
    > sitting).

    Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.
    =?UTF-8?B?UsO0Z8Oqcg==?=, Jul 19, 2007
  6. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    sammy Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:13:14 -0500, Fred Kasner wrote:
    >>

    >>>We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
    >>>revolution.

    >> And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
    >> incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
    >> sitting).

    > Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.

    roger knows all.

    pierre
    sammy, Jul 19, 2007
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:34:23 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:
    >> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:13:14 -0500, Fred Kasner wrote:
    >>

    >>>We owe a lot to France. They made our independence possible during our
    >>>revolution.

    >> And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
    >> incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
    >> sitting).

    > Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.

    My mistake. I knew Runcorn red sandstone was used somewhere in it's
    construction. Never knew it was metal although I should have known, what
    with Gustav Eifell making things out of metal an' all.

    Duh!

    Aardvark, Jul 19, 2007
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:34:23 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> Aardvark wrote:

    >>> And they gave you the Statue of Liberty as a Centenary gift (which,
    >>> incidentally, was made from stone quarried about a mile from where I'm
    >>> sitting).

    >> Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.

    > My mistake. I knew Runcorn red sandstone was used somewhere in it's
    > construction. Never knew it was metal although I should have known, what
    > with Gustav Eifell making things out of metal an' all.

    What a coincidence, so did Gustave Eiffel.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, Jul 19, 2007
  9. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "clot" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> The AP and UPI reported that the French Government announced after the
    >> London bombings that it has raised its terror alert level from Run to
    >> Hide. The only two higher levels in France are Surrender and
    >> Collaborate. The rise in the alert level was precipitated by a recent
    >> fire which destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively
    >> disabling their military.
    >> --------------------------------
    >> French Ban Fireworks at Euro Disney
    >> (AP), Paris , March 5, 2003
    >> The French Government announced today that it is imposing a ban on the
    >> use of fireworks at Euro Disney. The decision comes the day after a
    >> nightly fireworks display at the park, located just 30 miles outside
    >> of Paris , caused the soldiers at a nearby French Army garrison to
    >> surrender to a group of Czech tourists.

    > I laughed and I'm a francophile rather than a -phobe! :)

    Yeah - no sense in getting ones shorts in a wad. I don't mind most jokes -
    ethnic or not. Just about anyone can find something funny about any culture.
    The big thing is also learning to laugh at your own (and yourself too).

    I was also glad that Fred reminded us of the assistance we received from
    France in the American revolution - but the truth is, even that was
    extremely slow in coming.

    WhzzKdd, Jul 19, 2007
  10. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "clot" <> wrote in message

    >>I laughed and I'm a francophile rather than a -phobe! :)

    > Yeah - no sense in getting ones shorts in a wad. I don't mind most jokes -
    > ethnic or not. Just about anyone can find something funny about any culture.
    > The big thing is also learning to laugh at your own (and yourself too).
    >
    > I was also glad that Fred reminded us of the assistance we received from
    > France in the American revolution - but the truth is, even that was
    > extremely slow in coming.

    It took Ben Franklin abandoning his "A penny saved is a penny etc" and
    "Early to bed and early etc." philosophy and taking up the new
    philosophy of "PARTY!" to win over the French to help us. But they
    really did help and I extend a warm thank you to them for that.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 19, 2007
  11. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    tom Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "clot" <> wrote in message

    >>> I laughed and I'm a francophile rather than a -phobe! :)

    >> Yeah - no sense in getting ones shorts in a wad. I don't mind most
    >> jokes - ethnic or not. Just about anyone can find something funny
    >> about any culture. The big thing is also learning to laugh at your
    >> own (and yourself too).
    >>
    >> I was also glad that Fred reminded us of the assistance we received
    >> from France in the American revolution - but the truth is, even that
    >> was extremely slow in coming.

    > It took Ben Franklin abandoning his "A penny saved is a penny etc" and
    > "Early to bed and early etc." philosophy and taking up the new
    > philosophy of "PARTY!" to win over the French to help us. But they
    > really did help and I extend a warm thank you to them for that.

    Anybody that had sense enought to stay out of our Iraq fiasco ain't all bad.
    tom, Jul 19, 2007
  12. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 10:25:39 +0800, Oldus Fartus wrote:

    > Aardvark wrote:

    >>> Perhaps the pedestal was, the statue itself is metal.

    >> My mistake. I knew Runcorn red sandstone was used somewhere in it's
    >> construction. Never knew it was metal although I should have known,
    >> what with Gustav Eifell making things out of metal an' all.
    >>

    > What a coincidence, so did Gustave Eiffel.

    It was late. I was tired. :)

    Aardvark, Jul 19, 2007
  13. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Mike Yetto Guest

    Bada bing WhzzKdd <frack_this@email_is.invalid> bada bang:
    > Yeah - no sense in getting ones shorts in a wad. I don't mind most jokes -
    > ethnic or not. Just about anyone can find something funny about any culture.
    > The big thing is also learning to laugh at your own (and yourself too).
    >
    > I was also glad that Fred reminded us of the assistance we received from
    > France in the American revolution - but the truth is, even that was
    > extremely slow in coming.

    They couldn't get clearance for the Concorde to land in
    Jamestown.

    Mike "the more things change..." Yetto
    --
    "There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free
    government ought to be to trust no man living with power to
    Mike Yetto, Jul 19, 2007
  14. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Mike Yetto" <> wrote in message
    > Bada bing WhzzKdd <frack_this@email_is.invalid> bada bang:
    >> Yeah - no sense in getting ones shorts in a wad. I don't mind most
    >> jokes -
    >> ethnic or not. Just about anyone can find something funny about any
    >> culture.
    >> The big thing is also learning to laugh at your own (and yourself too).
    >>
    >> I was also glad that Fred reminded us of the assistance we received from
    >> France in the American revolution - but the truth is, even that was
    >> extremely slow in coming.
    >>

    > They couldn't get clearance for the Concorde to land in
    > Jamestown.

    heh! If you can't do it with style, why do it at all? <g>

    WhzzKdd, Jul 19, 2007
  15. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
    >behind me."
    >--General George S. Patton

    Just came across this...

    FRANCE WILL NEVER FORGET
    www.ambafrance-us.org/news/statmnts/2007/omaha-beach_2007.asp
    --
    Not everyone can win Mother of the Year. But ditching four kids
    while you go into the woods to take nudie photos will give you a
  16. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    >>"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one
    >>behind me."
    >>--General George S. Patton

    > Just came across this...
    >
    > FRANCE WILL NEVER FORGET
    > www.ambafrance-us.org/news/statmnts/2007/omaha-beach_2007.asp

    "American heroes who scarified their lives to liberate France"
    ^^^^^^^
    meerkat, Jul 20, 2007