    Hacking the Trailing Edge! : are JERKS!!
    www.nmpproducts.com
    ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
    steamer, Jan 11, 2008

  2. steamer

    John Navas Guest

    On 11 Jan 2008 22:34:32 GMT, steamer <> wrote in
    <4787eef8$0$36363$>:

    > --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
    >soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
    >infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
    >Anyone seen such a beastie?

    Not AFAIK, but some cameras have boosted EVF that can work in near
    darkness.

    --
    Best regards,
    John Navas
    John Navas, Jan 12, 2008

  3. steamer

    Pat Guest

    On Jan 11, 5:34 pm, steamer <> wrote:
    >         --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
    > soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
    > infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
    > Anyone seen such a beastie?
    >
    > --
    >         "Steamboat Ed" Haas         :  All the candidates
    >         Hacking the Trailing Edge!  :  are JERKS!!
    >                          www.nmpproducts.com
    >                    ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

    I haven't seen one but you have a few options.

    It is fairly common to remove the IR filter from a dSLR and use it to
    shoot IR. So there's not reason you could do that and frame by taking
    pics or you could do it to a P&S with a "live screen".

    You could also get an old-fashioned framing guide that goes on your
    hot-shoe to approximate the framing without having to look through the
    camera as all.

    Finally, you could rig a night vision scope to a camera and just use
    night-vision.
    Pat, Jan 12, 2008
  4. "steamer" <> wrote:
    > --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
    > soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see"
    > (in
    > infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total
    > darkness.
    > Anyone seen such a beastie?

    The Sony F707 and F717 used to do that. The F828 also. (They included their
    own IR light source, so it worked fairly well.) I don't know if there are
    any more recent cameras that have it, though.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jan 12, 2008
  5. steamer

    Matt Ion Guest

    steamer wrote:
    > --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
    > soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
    > infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
    > Anyone seen such a beastie?

    How about carrying a flashlight?
    Matt Ion, Jan 12, 2008
  6. On Jan 11, 4:34 pm, steamer <> wrote:
    > --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
    > soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
    > infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
    > Anyone seen such a beastie?
    >
    > --
    > "Steamboat Ed" Haas : All the candidates
    > Hacking the Trailing Edge! : are JERKS!!
    > www.nmpproducts.com
    > ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

    If you are shooting in total darkness it is unlikely you will get
    anything. The sensors only see NEAR infrared- out to just over one
    micron. Unless you have a special near IR illuminator you will not
    see much if there is not SOME source of light.

    Do not expect to see THERMAL IR, that is, the radiation given off by
    the heat of an object. That begins at about four to five microns,
    which is invisible to silicon sensors.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Jan 12, 2008
  7. steamer

    steamer Guest

    --Building an IR illuminator is trivial, but will the camera see it
    without tinkering in its guts to remove the filter? That's my concern: if I
    open up a new camera I'll probably destroy it, heh. Looking, I guess, for a
    camera that's set up with an IR filter that's switchable, on/off. Anything
    like that on the market?

    steamer, Jan 12, 2008
  8. steamer

    Pat Guest

    On Jan 11, 5:34 pm, steamer <> wrote:
    >         --I'm using a Canon S1-1S at the moment but I'm planning to upgrade
    > soon. What I'm looking for is a camera with a viewfinder that can "see" (in
    > infrared?) so I can accurately frame an image in pretty much total darkness.
    > Anyone seen such a beastie?
    >
    > --
    >         "Steamboat Ed" Haas         :  All the candidates
    >         Hacking the Trailing Edge!  :  are JERKS!!
    >                          www.nmpproducts.com
    >                    ---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---

    There are few things in photography that someone else hasn't already
    done. What are you trying to do. There might be alternative
    solutions out there.
    Pat, Jan 12, 2008
  9. Ï "steamer" <> Ýãñáøå óôï ìÞíõìá
    > --Building an IR illuminator is trivial, but will the camera see it
    > without tinkering in its guts to remove the filter? That's my concern: if

    > open up a new camera I'll probably destroy it, heh. Looking, I guess, for

    > camera that's set up with an IR filter that's switchable, on/off. Anything
    > like that on the market?

    Yes-but only camcorders.All sony camcorders have a night vision mode, that
    allows them to shoot in total darkness.They have a switch that removes the
    IR filter, and turns on some special IR leds.

    HTH,

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jan 12, 2008
  10. steamer

    steamer Guest

    Pat <> wrote:

    >There are few things in photography that someone else hasn't already
    >done. What are you trying to do. There might be alternative
    >solutions out there.

    --The problem is *finding* what I'm trying to snap so that it's well
    centered when I push the button. The other goal is to get decent "light"
    when light is poor so that I can video things like fire spinning, vehicles
    with poorly illuminated effects (EL wire) at Burning Man.
    --
    "Steamboat Ed" Haas : The impeachment process
    Hacking the Trailing Edge! : exists for a reason...
    steamer, Jan 30, 2008
  11. "steamer" <> wrote in message
    > Pat <> wrote:

    >>There are few things in photography that someone else hasn't already
    >>done. What are you trying to do. There might be alternative
    >>solutions out there.

    > --The problem is *finding* what I'm trying to snap so that it's well
    > centered when I push the button. The other goal is to get decent "light"
    > when light is poor so that I can video things like fire spinning, vehicles
    > with poorly illuminated effects (EL wire) at Burning Man.

    The discontinued Sony 707/717 had a neat feature for
    framing in the dark. You could select IR framing (preferably
    using a more powerful IR external light source than the one
    built into the camera - but the f2 maximum lens aperture also
    helped), and the image was visible without spoiling or alerting
    subjects until the picture was made. With the press of the
    shutter release the image type reverted to standard color and
    the flash went off (or not, if that was preferable).
    --
    David Ruether

    www.donferrario.com/ruether
    David Ruether, Jan 30, 2008
  12. steamer

    steamer Guest

    --Yeah and IR light source would be kewl. I see there are plans to
    build one over at Make (or is it Instructables) and I'll probably build one
    for attachment to a newer camera that doesn't offer one. The thing that
    scares me is removing the IR filter from a new camera without destroying it.
    If only I could talk Canon into making a camera with a switch; I love their
    cameras! :)

    steamer, Jan 31, 2008