Frame Relay without LMI

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Agosta, Dec 8, 2003.

  1. John Agosta

    John Agosta Guest

    Does anyone have a frame relay access facility connecting
    to a Public Service Provider without LMI provisioned on the access facility?

    I am not interested in "what" LMI does, or "why" it is a beneficial
    protocol. I'm good on all that.

    What my question is --- this :

    For those of you that (for whatever reason) are running
    into a Public Network without LMI enabled,
    what was your experience like getting the service provider
    to disable the LMI process on your access port ?
    (Providers feel free to chime in......)

    Easy ?
    They knew what you were asking, and gladly accomodated your wish?

    Hard?
    It took days, weeks, or months to get some one to understand your
    requirements and then set up your access ports accordingly ?

    An exercise in futility?
    The provider had no clue on what you were asking, regardless as to whom you
    spoke with.

    Impossible.
    The carrier understood what you wanted, but "policy" did not allow them to
    provision the
    access facility according to your needs.

    Thanks in advance for your feedback!

    -ja
    John Agosta, Dec 8, 2003

  2. John Agosta

    News Account Guest

    I'm curious why would you not want LMI?

    Don Woodward

    "John Agosta" <> wrote in message

    > Does anyone have a frame relay access facility connecting
    > to a Public Service Provider without LMI provisioned on the access

    facility?

    > I am not interested in "what" LMI does, or "why" it is a beneficial
    > protocol. I'm good on all that.
    >
    > What my question is --- this :
    >
    > For those of you that (for whatever reason) are running
    > into a Public Network without LMI enabled,
    > what was your experience like getting the service provider
    > to disable the LMI process on your access port ?
    > (Providers feel free to chime in......)

    <snip>
    News Account, Dec 8, 2003

  3. John Agosta

    John Agosta Guest

    The reasons 'why' I would not want LMI is not the issue.
    Let's pretend I have a router that doesn't 'do' LMI....

    I am looking for feedback on experiences dealing with
    Public Carriers when something "out of the norm"
    is being requested.

    John Agosta, Dec 8, 2003
  4. John Agosta

    News Account Guest

    OK, I'll check with AT&T tomorrow and see if they offer "no LMI" - I work
    for an AT&T reseller.

    On the project I'm currently working on we use "ANNEX-D" type LMI - AT&T
    defaults to "CISCO/STRATA" type LMI, but they call it "LMI" type LMI if you
    can understand that.

    AT&T quite often does not set the LMI type as ordered and leaves the
    default - that's been my experience on the nearly 500 sites of my project.

    News Account, Dec 8, 2003
  5. John Agosta

    John Agosta Guest

    Thank you.
    The feedback you get when asking the question
    is exactly what I am looking for....

    -ja

    John Agosta, Dec 9, 2003
  6. John Agosta

    Tax Johnson Guest

    "John Agosta" <> wrote in message news:<PaCdnV-
    <snip>
    > For those of you that (for whatever reason) are running
    > into a Public Network without LMI enabled,
    > what was your experience like getting the service provider
    > to disable the LMI process on your access port ?
    > (Providers feel free to chime in......)
    >

    > Easy ?
    > They knew what you were asking, and gladly accomodated your wish?
    >
    > Hard?
    > It took days, weeks, or months to get some one to understand your
    > requirements and then set up your access ports accordingly ?
    >
    > An exercise in futility?
    > The provider had no clue on what you were asking, regardless as to whom you
    > spoke with.
    >
    > Impossible.
    > The carrier understood what you wanted, but "policy" did not allow them to
    > provision the
    > access facility according to your needs.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    >
    > -ja

    Hi John,
    Check it out, check it out, check it out, check it out....

    I've done this several times, but I always asked to re-enable it.

    One time was to test out a new no-name "frame-relay aware" CSU.

    All of the other times were to test a new FR branch office (new spoke
    off of the hub) where we didn't have the equipment yet. We'd either
    have the FR provider loop up the smart jack (or whatever other type of
    loopback device is on the circuit), exit the circuit, and disable LMI
    on the UNI port. Or, we'd just have them loop up the smartjack, exit
    the circuit, and change the port to an NNI. At the hub, we'd send
    massive PINGs down the new PVC to stress it out a while.

    How easy was it to get this done? I usually didn't have a problem
    getting them to do this. Although, I never had them keep it like
    this.

    -tax
    Tax Johnson, Dec 9, 2003
  7. John Agosta

    joe Guest

    i have run this in my lab... check out the
    "interface local-dlci" command.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123tcr/123twr/wan_f2gt.htm#1059567

    joe, Dec 9, 2003
  8. John Agosta

    John Agosta Guest

    Hey! One of the 'homeboys,' I see !

    Thanks for the feedback.
    What kind of turn around did you experience between the
    time you asked for LMI to be disabled - and then it was,
    and also between the time you asked for it to get re-enabled - and then it
    was ?

    (My experience has been like pulling teeth.....)

    By the way, your spelling needs to be corrected. It's:

    "Checkitoutcheckitoutcheckitout."
    One BIG word......
    ;-)

    John Agosta, Dec 9, 2003
  9. John Agosta

    John Agosta Guest

    Joe, I was looking for input regarding experiences dealing
    with Public Carriers and making a request that could
    perhaps be considered 'unusual'.....But thanks just the same.

    John Agosta, Dec 9, 2003
  10. John Agosta

    Tax Johnson Guest

    "John Agosta" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hey! One of the 'homeboys,' I see !
    >
    > Thanks for the feedback.
    > What kind of turn around did you experience between the
    > time you asked for LMI to be disabled - and then it was,
    > and also between the time you asked for it to get re-enabled - and then it
    > was ?
    >
    > (My experience has been like pulling teeth.....)

    > By the way, your spelling needs to be corrected. It's:
    >
    > "Checkitoutcheckitoutcheckitout."
    > One BIG word......
    > ;-)

    It was usually immediately (or wait a minute while they conference on
    their next level to see what I was up to). I think a lot of it
    depends on which service provider you're dealing with. I usually
    dealt with ASI (SBC's local FR/ATM branch). I deal with them a lot
    and have a good working relationship with them. Good luck!

    -tax

    PS I picked up your saying a few years back in an ABGP course you
    taught. Very well done!
    Tax Johnson, Dec 10, 2003
  11. John Agosta

    John Agosta Guest

    > > Hey! One of the 'homeboys,' I see !
    > >
    > > Thanks for the feedback.
    > > What kind of turn around did you experience between the
    > > time you asked for LMI to be disabled - and then it was,
    > > and also between the time you asked for it to get re-enabled - and then

    it
    > > was ?
    > >
    > > (My experience has been like pulling teeth.....)

    > > By the way, your spelling needs to be corrected. It's:
    > >
    > > "Checkitoutcheckitoutcheckitout."
    > > One BIG word......
    > > ;-)
    > >

    > It was usually immediately (or wait a minute while they conference on
    > their next level to see what I was up to). I think a lot of it
    > depends on which service provider you're dealing with. I usually
    > dealt with ASI (SBC's local FR/ATM branch). I deal with them a lot
    > and have a good working relationship with them. Good luck!
    >
    > -tax
    >
    > PS I picked up your saying a few years back in an ABGP course you
    > taught. Very well done!

    Thanks for your input.
    Everything is fixed and working now.
    I was just getting fustrated talking to people who
    didn't understand what was being asked of them,
    and was wondering if this was 'normal' or if I just
    won the lottery....

    Anyway, guess what the first thing the customer
    said when all the lights started blinking correctly?

    "Checkitoutcheckioutcheckitout!"

    Be well and happy holidays.

    -ja
    John Agosta, Dec 10, 2003
  12. John Agosta

    Ivan Guest

    > Thanks for your input.
    > Everything is fixed and working now.
    > I was just getting fustrated talking to people who
    > didn't understand what was being asked of them,
    > and was wondering if this was 'normal' or if I just
    > won the lottery....
    >
    > Anyway, guess what the first thing the customer
    > said when all the lights started blinking correctly?
    >
    > "Checkitoutcheckioutcheckitout!"
    >
    > Be well and happy holidays.

    Since I had never such case, can you give an example why would you wand to
    disable LMI's?

    Ivan
    Ivan, Dec 11, 2003
  13. John Agosta

    John Agosta Guest

    "Ivan" <> wrote in message
    > "John Agosta" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Thanks for your input.
    > > Everything is fixed and working now.
    > > I was just getting fustrated talking to people who
    > > didn't understand what was being asked of them,
    > > and was wondering if this was 'normal' or if I just
    > > won the lottery....
    > >
    > > Anyway, guess what the first thing the customer
    > > said when all the lights started blinking correctly?
    > >
    > > "Checkitoutcheckioutcheckitout!"
    > >
    > > Be well and happy holidays.
    > >

    > Since I had never such case, can you give an example why would you wand to
    > disable LMI's?
    >
    > Ivan

    Just for the purpose of loop testing.
    Generate frames at one end and have them
    come back to the frame generator for comparision.
    John Agosta, Dec 11, 2003