Frame relay question

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by joey024@aol.com, Feb 1, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Here's my problem... I keep getting the same question on a practice
    exam. I have spend a lot of time looking for the answer. I am unable
    to simulate frame relay in my lab.

    The question is a simple frame relay circuit connecting two routers
    (R1 and R2). Both routers are running IOS version 12. R1 has DLCI
    100 and R2 has DLCI 200. The two are not communicating and of course
    I need to know why.

    All that is given is the drawing with the above info and R1's serial
    configuration towards R2 (thru the VC).

    R1 int s0 config:

    bandwidth 64
    encapsulation frame-relay
    ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
    frame-relay map ip 172.16.20.2 200 broadcast

    That's it.

    My options are:

    LMI error
    IP configuration error
    bandwidth configuration error
    frame-relay map command

    I seriously doubt it's LMI or bandwidth problems (without knowing R2's
    configuration, I guess it's a possible LMI prob.). The only flaw that
    may be in the IP is that it is using private addresses--but I'm sure
    it "would work" with that (and maybe NAT or ACL's eliminate this
    somewhere else in the network). I think the answer is the frame-relay
    map command. A very similar problem is listed on cisco's site:

    It is the first configuration on this page. They don't use the
    frame-relay map command but instead use the frame-relay int-dlci
    command for configuration. Would the frame-relay map command work in
    this scenario? I've also read that with the defaults and cisco
    routers on both ends, you just need to configure the IP's and
    encapsulation and everything else will "auto-sense." So what's up
    with this question? I keep getting it on these practice tests and
    have no idea how to answer.

    Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,

    , Feb 1, 2005

  2. Is the picture any help? Post this question on www.cisco-forum.com and
    include the pic.

    Steve
    www.cisco-forum.com

    cisco-forum.com, Feb 2, 2005

  3. Hansang Bae Guest

    wrote:

    > Here's my problem... I keep getting the same question on a practice
    > exam. I have spend a lot of time looking for the answer. I am unable
    > to simulate frame relay in my lab.
    >
    > The question is a simple frame relay circuit connecting two routers
    > (R1 and R2). Both routers are running IOS version 12. R1 has DLCI
    > 100 and R2 has DLCI 200. The two are not communicating and of course
    > I need to know why.

    [snip]

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/frbacktoback.html

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Feb 2, 2005
  4. Guest

    > wrote:
    >

    >> Here's my problem... I keep getting the same question on a practice
    >> exam. I have spend a lot of time looking for the answer. I am unable
    >> to simulate frame relay in my lab.
    >>
    >> The question is a simple frame relay circuit connecting two routers
    >> (R1 and R2). Both routers are running IOS version 12. R1 has DLCI
    >> 100 and R2 has DLCI 200. The two are not communicating and of course
    >> I need to know why.

    >[snip]
    >
    >http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/frbacktoback.html

    Thanks for the reply. The link you provided shows has two routers
    connected with frame-relay encapsulation in back-to-back type setting.
    This isn't the same setup as on the question because LMI is disabled
    meaning there is no DLCI's. In my problem there is an actual telco
    provided VC between the routers

    In the picture:

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/12.html#topic1

    The only difference in my problem is that the router 'spicey' has a
    DLCI 100 above it and router Pragit has a DCLI 200 above it.

    , Feb 2, 2005
  5. Guest

    >Here's my problem... I keep getting the same question on a practice
    >exam. I have spend a lot of time looking for the answer. I am unable
    >to simulate frame relay in my lab.
    >
    >The question is a simple frame relay circuit connecting two routers
    >(R1 and R2). Both routers are running IOS version 12. R1 has DLCI
    >100 and R2 has DLCI 200. The two are not communicating and of course
    >I need to know why.
    >
    >All that is given is the drawing with the above info and R1's serial
    >configuration towards R2 (thru the VC).
    >
    >R1 int s0 config:
    >
    >bandwidth 64
    >encapsulation frame-relay
    >ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
    >frame-relay map ip 172.16.20.2 200 broadcast
    >
    >That's it.
    >
    >My options are:
    >
    >LMI error
    >IP configuration error
    >bandwidth configuration error
    >frame-relay map command
    >
    >I seriously doubt it's LMI or bandwidth problems (without knowing R2's
    >configuration, I guess it's a possible LMI prob.). The only flaw that
    >may be in the IP is that it is using private addresses--but I'm sure
    >it "would work" with that (and maybe NAT or ACL's eliminate this
    >somewhere else in the network). I think the answer is the frame-relay
    >map command. A very similar problem is listed on cisco's site:
    >
    >http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/12.html
    >
    >It is the first configuration on this page. They don't use the
    >frame-relay map command but instead use the frame-relay int-dlci
    >command for configuration. Would the frame-relay map command work in
    >this scenario? I've also read that with the defaults and cisco
    >routers on both ends, you just need to configure the IP's and
    >encapsulation and everything else will "auto-sense." So what's up
    >with this question? I keep getting it on these practice tests and
    >have no idea how to answer.
    >
    >Any insight on this is greatly appreciated.
    >Thanks,

    The below link shows the picture of the circuit without having to
    scroll down

    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/125/12.html#topic1

    The only difference with the circuit in my problem is that the router

  6. Hansang Bae Guest

    wrote:

    > > Here's my problem... I keep getting the same question on a practice
    > > exam. I have spend a lot of time looking for the answer. I am
    > > unable to simulate frame relay in my lab.

    Just to be clear....your lab is connected to an actual FR circuit?

    > > The question is a simple frame relay circuit connecting two routers
    > > (R1 and R2). Both routers are running IOS version 12. R1 has DLCI
    > > 100 and R2 has DLCI 200. The two are not communicating and of
    > > course I need to know why.

    [snip]
    > > R1 int s0 config:
    > > bandwidth 64
    > > encapsulation frame-relay
    > > ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
    > > frame-relay map ip 172.16.20.2 200 broadcast

    Use DLCI 100 instead of 200.

    Better yet, use subinterface and forget about static mappings.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Guest

    > wrote:
    >

    >> > Here's my problem... I keep getting the same question on a practice
    >> > exam. I have spend a lot of time looking for the answer. I am
    >> > unable to simulate frame relay in my lab.

    >Just to be clear....your lab is connected to an actual FR circuit?
    >

    >> > The question is a simple frame relay circuit connecting two routers
    >> > (R1 and R2). Both routers are running IOS version 12. R1 has DLCI
    >> > 100 and R2 has DLCI 200. The two are not communicating and of
    >> > course I need to know why.

    >[snip]
    >> > R1 int s0 config:
    >> > bandwidth 64
    >> > encapsulation frame-relay
    >> > ip address 172.16.20.1 255.255.255.0
    >> > frame-relay map ip 172.16.20.2 200 broadcast

    >Use DLCI 100 instead of 200.
    >
    >Better yet, use subinterface and forget about static mappings.

    \
    Thanks for your help. These forums are really great--not necessarily
    to get answers, but to get others opinions to help one can think
    outside the box. I'm still not sure on this problem... I'm thinking
    another command besides the frame-relay map command should be used.

    Thanks again,
    Jared

    , Feb 5, 2005
  8. Hansang Bae Guest

    wrote:
    > Thanks for your help. These forums are really great--not necessarily
    > to get answers, but to get others opinions to help one can think
    > outside the box. I'm still not sure on this problem... I'm thinking
    > another command besides the frame-relay map command should be used.

    int s0
    encap frame-relay
    frame-relay lmi-type ansi
    !