    problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at each
    site ?

    I do not have router's configuration to look at it

    zillah via HWKB.com, Mar 5, 2007

  2. zillah wrote:
    >I have been given this scenario :
    >
    >remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay
    >Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128 kbps.
    >
    >users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.
    >
    >What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of the
    >problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at each
    >site ?
    >
    >I do not have router's configuration to look at it

    This link for troubleshooting it would not help me
    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/itg_v1/tr1918.htm

    zillah via HWKB.com, Mar 5, 2007

  3. zillah via HWKB.com, Mar 5, 2007
  4. zillah via HWKB.com

    BernieM Guest

    "zillah via HWKB.com" <u31184@uwe> wrote in message
    >I have been given this scenario :
    >
    > remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay
    > Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128
    > kbps.
    >
    > users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.
    >
    > What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of
    > the
    > problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at
    > each
    > site ?
    >
    > I do not have router's configuration to look at it

    There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
    many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
    and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected
    to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
    transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
    during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco
    see any problems?

    If you tell us how you would expand on those ideas or others you have we can
    give you more advice.

    BernieM

    BernieM, Mar 5, 2007
  5. BernieM wrote:
    >>I have been given this scenario :
    >>

    >[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
    >>
    >> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

    >There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
    >many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
    >and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected
    >to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
    >transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
    >during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco
    >see any problems?

    Thanks, I will try to find out the answres for these questions

    zillah via HWKB.com, Mar 5, 2007
  6. BernieM wrote:
    >>I have been given this scenario :
    >>

    >[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
    >>
    >> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

    >There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
    >many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
    >and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected
    >to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
    >transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
    >during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco
    >see any problems?

    Don't think that the link speed and number if users are problem,,,64kbps is
    little bit faster than dialup,,,,can we imagine that we have got 20 users on
    dialup connection, what will be your expectation ?

    zillah via HWKB.com, Mar 5, 2007
  7. BernieM wrote:
    >>I have been given this scenario :
    >>

    >[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
    >>
    >> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

    >There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
    >many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
    >and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data expected
    >to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
    >transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
    >during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the telco
    >see any problems?

    Don't you think that the link speed and number if users are problem,,,64kbps
    is little bit faster than dialup 56000,,,,can you imagine that we have got 20

    zillah via HWKB.com, Mar 5, 2007
  8. zillah via HWKB.com

    > BernieM wrote:
    >>>I have been given this scenario :
    >>>

    >>[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
    >>>
    >>> I do not have router's configuration to look at it

    >>There's lots of areas to start looking. Define 'slowness' , confirm how
    >>many users are affected, what applications / protocols are using the link
    >>and what are their charastics ie. what's the maximum amount of data
    >>expected
    >>to be transfered during a 'transaction"? how does latency affect that
    >>transaction? what are the links characteriscs ie. latency, utilisation
    >>during times of slowness, are there errors, queue drops etc., does the
    >>telco
    >>see any problems?
    >>

    > Don't you think that the link speed and number if users are
    > problem,,,64kbps
    > is little bit faster than dialup 56000,,,,can you imagine that we have got
    > 20
    > users on dialup connection, what will be your expectation ?
    >>If you tell us how you would expand on those ideas or others you have we
    >>can
    >>give you more advice.
    >>
    >>BernieM

    Yes I tend to think that link speed and number of users is the problem and
    as you've said they complain of slowness now so reducing the bandwidth even
    more will of course create more problems. What else is there to expect from
    such action?

    While you can throw more bandwidth at the problem for a quick fix if the
    business needs to get productive quickly but for long term capacity planning
    we need profile the application. Is this application available across a LAN
    where you can look at individual transactions and determine the volume of
    data being transferred? In that environment can we adjust increase latency
    and reduce bandwidth to determine the breaking point?

    BernieM, Mar 5, 2007
  9. zillah via HWKB.com

    steve_nsi Guest

    On Mar 5, 1:40 am, "zillah via HWKB.com" <u31184@uwe> wrote:
    > I have been given this scenario :
    >
    > remote offices are connected to head quarter through WAN Frame Relay
    > Connection, speeds of these frame connection are either 64 kbps or 128 kbps.
    >
    > users in remote site experience slow connection to their head quarter.
    >
    > What steps of troubleshooting should I follow to find out the source of the
    > problem ? is the bandwidth 64 or 128 are enough of 20 users or more at each
    > site ?
    >
    > I do not have router's configuration to look at it

    As a broad generalization, if you have 20 users running an application
    which accesses a remote Oracle DB server (or anything else) across a
    64k (or 128k) connection, it's going to be slow. I'm surprised it's
    actually working at all and not simply timing out. Must either not be
    very large data sets or executing everything remotely. Plus, if you
    have any other network traffic going across that link it will degrade
    the performance of your primary app(s) very quickly. I would start by
    looking into the bandwidth requirements of your app and see what can
    be done about sizing your WAN more appropriately.

    steve_nsi, Mar 5, 2007
  10. steve_nsi wrote:
    >> I have been given this scenario :
    >>

    >[quoted text clipped - 11 lines]
    >> --

    >As a broad generalization, if you have 20 users running an application
    >which accesses a remote Oracle DB server (or anything else) across a
    >64k (or 128k) connection, it's going to be slow. I'm surprised it's
    >actually working at all and not simply timing out. Must either not be
    >very large data sets or executing everything remotely. Plus, if you
    >have any other network traffic going across that link it will degrade
    >the performance of your primary app(s) very quickly. I would start by

    Thanks for this input

    zillah via HWKB.com, Mar 6, 2007