FPS problems in games

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    The problem in short:
    Games i play alot, ends up at a very low framerate.

    My HW and SW:
    Windows XP PRo SP2
    DirectX 9.0
    Intel P4 3,4Ghz
    2GB RAM
    Radeon X800 XT 256 Mb RAM

    I'll try to detail my problem and what i've done to try and fix it.

    When i first installed World of Warcraft and Unreal Tournament 2004 i
    could get optimal framerate with allmost max graphics settings ingame.
    Then after i've played these games on a regular basis for some months,
    they suddenly start to give me an awfull low FPS.
    WoW now runs at about 5 to 15 FPS depending on where i am.
    UT2k4 runs at about 15 FPS while i'm in action.

    If i look into the ground and zoom in to minimize what the graphics
    engine has to render, i get FPS upto 50+ easily, so it can still
    happen.

    What i've done to try and fix it:
    - Reinstalled Windows
    - Reinstalled both games
    - Run graphics settings to a minimum
    - Tried out different Graphics drivers
    - Run both games without any addons
    - Run both games in Fullscreen mode and Windowed mode
    - Checked for viruses and spyware etc.
    - Defragged the games drive
    - Flushed both games cache
    - Run diagnostics on DirectX
    - and lots more i can't remember at the moment

    None of the above gives me any significant changes to the FPS, it
    still remains low.
    The oddest thing is that when i first installed the games they both
    worked perfect. And when i install new games like F.E.A.R i can run it
    flawlessly at maximum settings, FPS is superb.
    The FPS reduction seems to have happened slowly, without me noticing
    before it was really bad.

    It has come to the point that i don't know how to fix this myself, and
    i fail to enjoy the games as i should.

    What i think might fix it:
    - Maby get some new Graphic drivers
    - Install the games on an entirely new disk
    - Check games with a different Graphics card

    But the above suggestions is either too expensive or i'm at a loss.

    Please if anyone has some ide on how to fix this, or know some
    graphics drivers (perhaps older version) that might help me, let me
    know and i'll be eternally greatfull.

    _____________
    Tom

    Tom, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Tom

    Gutz Guest

    http://omegadrivers.net/

    > _____________
    > Tom

    Since its just two specific games one guess would be that these games have
    been nerfed by patches that are giving them memory leaks and/or nerfing fps
    somehow. You could try forcing AA turned off in the drivers i mentioned or
    overclocking your card but its also likely that the fps reduction is due to
    an increase in CPU drain. Theres one game i play, Planetside, where the best
    PC wont yield > 50 fps as the memory leak jus keeps draining resources & max
    CPU. Eve-online is the same and these get progressively worse every patch.

    Gutz, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Tom

    Bill P Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote in message
    > The problem in short:
    > Games i play alot, ends up at a very low framerate.
    >
    > My HW and SW:
    > Windows XP PRo SP2
    > DirectX 9.0
    > Intel P4 3,4Ghz
    > 2GB RAM
    > Radeon X800 XT 256 Mb RAM
    >

    > I'll try to detail my problem and what i've done to try and fix it.
    >
    > When i first installed World of Warcraft and Unreal Tournament 2004 i
    > could get optimal framerate with allmost max graphics settings ingame.
    > Then after i've played these games on a regular basis for some months,
    > they suddenly start to give me an awfull low FPS.
    > WoW now runs at about 5 to 15 FPS depending on where i am.
    > UT2k4 runs at about 15 FPS while i'm in action.

    snip

    Hi Tom
    If you don't get a solution to your problem here, there are some people at
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.games who are sure to help.
    Regards
    Bill

    Bill P, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Tom

    Tom Guest

    On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 10:22:01 +0100, Tom <> wrote:

    >The problem in short:
    >Games i play alot, ends up at a very low framerate.

    Thanks for replies !

    If it is as Gutz says, i guess i'm stuck... which is realy bad for
    Blizzard since they might loose a customer because of bad
    programming... And i guess i won't be the last...

    But if if Bill is right i'll try to get some help from other places
    first hehe

    Blizzards Technical Forum gave ofcourse no reply to my post.

    Take care
    Tom

    Tom, Jan 11, 2006