    PeppersMum Guest

    Does anyone know if and how I can import my e-mails and addresses from
    Foxmail to Outlook 2007. TIA.
    PeppersMum, Jul 5, 2009

  2. PeppersMum wrote:

    > Does anyone know if and how I can import my e-mails and addresses from
    > Foxmail to Outlook 2007. TIA.

    This Foxmail? http://www.foxmail.com.cn/

    Is the Help file in Chinese? Does it say anything about exporting mail
    and settings? Your first hurdle is *exporting*.

    Personally, I would not recommend Outlook as a personal email client. It
    is an inter/intra-office application. Why not try Thunderbird instead?

    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 5, 2009

  3. PeppersMum

    Mike Easter Guest

    PeppersMum wrote:
    > Does anyone know if and how I can import my e-mails and addresses from
    > Foxmail to Outlook 2007.

    I don't completely understand this faq's explanation of how to handle
    migration issues because I don't know what are the storage format of FM's
    messages.

    http://www.hazeleger.net/psjs_faqs/index.html The Hare's Lair FoxMail

    See - 07 Migration -- Can I export my FM mailbox to Outlook or Outlook
    Express?

    <snip>
    You cannot export a mail box as such from FM to OE/Outlook directly,
    but what you could do is:

    In OE/Outlook make a folder with the same name.
    In FM export the mail box's contents to EML file.
    Import these into OE (drag and drop works) or Outlook in this new folder.
    Done, your messages are in OE/Outlook!
    </snip>

    I think you are going from one awkward proprietary .cn language agent to
    a different set of problems in OL. What particular features of OL are
    you wanting? Are you in any kind of Exchange server situation?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 5, 2009
  4. PeppersMum

    PeppersMum Guest

    In article <h2qj40$gn3$-september.org>,
    lid says...
    > PeppersMum wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know if and how I can import my e-mails and addresses from
    > > Foxmail to Outlook 2007. TIA.

    > This Foxmail? http://www.foxmail.com.cn/
    >
    > Is the Help file in Chinese? Does it say anything about exporting mail
    > and settings? Your first hurdle is *exporting*.
    >
    > Personally, I would not recommend Outlook as a personal email client. It
    > is an inter/intra-office application. Why not try Thunderbird instead?
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird

    The help file is in Chinese. Because I am now an HP employee, we were
    given MS Office Enterprise Edition for $11.00 and it is what we use at
    work. I like the intregrated calendar which I know TB has so may decide
    to use TB instead.
    PeppersMum, Jul 5, 2009
  5. PeppersMum wrote:

    > lid says...
    >> PeppersMum wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know if and how I can import my e-mails and addresses
    >>> from Foxmail to Outlook 2007. TIA.

    >> This Foxmail? http://www.foxmail.com.cn/
    >>
    >> Is the Help file in Chinese? Does it say anything about exporting
    >> mail and settings? Your first hurdle is *exporting*.
    >>
    >> Personally, I would not recommend Outlook as a personal email
    >> client. It is an inter/intra-office application. Why not try
    >> Thunderbird instead?
    >>
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird
    >>

    > The help file is in Chinese. Because I am now an HP employee, we were
    > given MS Office Enterprise Edition for $11.00 and it is what we use
    > at work.

    Ok, you didn't mention an office environment, so I assumed you were
    inquiring about a home setup. And you're posting from a Canadian IP
    address, not a Chinese one. <g>

    > I like the intregrated calendar which I know TB has so may
    > decide to use TB instead.

    I get regular email from a friend who uses Outlook 2007, and it seems
    that it has great troubles properly formatting the quoted parts of a
    reply. In fact, in his case, there are never any ">" quote marks at all.
    Makes for a hard read. It also, seemingly by default, bloats an email
    with a tonne of HTML code, and he can find no way to turn that off.

    Yes, Thunderbird has several calendars available as add-on extensions.

    Before I retired, MS Outlook was the de rigueur email client for the
    office, but I never used it at home.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 5, 2009
  6. PeppersMum

    Mike Easter Guest

    PeppersMum wrote:

    > The help file is in Chinese. Because I am now an HP employee, we were
    > given MS Office Enterprise Edition for $11.00 and it is what we use at
    > work. I like the intregrated calendar which I know TB has so may decide
    > to use TB instead.

    TB won't integrate with the Exchange server (or other MS Office apps) the
    same way as OL. If you are talking about exchanging things with other MS
    Office & OL users, you might be better off with OL.

    It will 'integrate', it just won't integrate fully
    http://www.bauer-power.net/2008/08/how-to-get-thunderbird-to-work-with.ht
    ml How-To Get Thunderbird to Work with Exchange

    There are a lot of similar sites to tell you how to use Tbird 'somewhat'
    with exchange.

    For example, if you are using Tbird's calendar Lightning and your
    co-worker sends you an OL calendar file, you can't just import that
    proprietary OL format into Lightning. They would need to send something
    like that to you as a more generic .csv file.

    http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.html Calendar FAQ - What is
    the file format for Sunbird or Lightning? - Will it work with Outlook?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jul 5, 2009
  7. PeppersMum

    PeppersMum Guest

    In article <>, lid
    says...
    > PeppersMum wrote:
    >
    > > The help file is in Chinese. Because I am now an HP employee, we were
    > > given MS Office Enterprise Edition for $11.00 and it is what we use at
    > > work. I like the intregrated calendar which I know TB has so may decide
    > > to use TB instead.

    > TB won't integrate with the Exchange server (or other MS Office apps) the
    > same way as OL. If you are talking about exchanging things with other MS
    > Office & OL users, you might be better off with OL.
    >
    > It will 'integrate', it just won't integrate fully
    > http://www.bauer-power.net/2008/08/how-to-get-thunderbird-to-work-with.ht
    > ml How-To Get Thunderbird to Work with Exchange
    >
    > There are a lot of similar sites to tell you how to use Tbird 'somewhat'
    > with exchange.
    >
    > For example, if you are using Tbird's calendar Lightning and your
    > co-worker sends you an OL calendar file, you can't just import that
    > proprietary OL format into Lightning. They would need to send something
    > like that to you as a more generic .csv file.
    >
    > http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/faq.html Calendar FAQ - What is
    > the file format for Sunbird or Lightning? - Will it work with Outlook?

    I have decided to go with Thunderbird. Thanks for all the replies.
    PeppersMum, Jul 6, 2009