Fox Revs Up Blu-ray Launch Plans

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tarkus, Jun 28, 2006.

  1. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Disc_Announcements/Fox/Fox_Revs_Up_Blu-ray_Launch_Plans/120

    Fox Revs Up Blu-ray Launch Plans
    Tue Jun 27, 2006 at 04:00 PM ET

    Six months after Fox pledged support for Blu-ray at CES 2006, the studio
    is nearing an official announcement of its initial software launch plans
    for the format, reports Broadcasting & Cable.

    During a private demo held last week for select members of the press, Fox
    executives showed off clips of a number of its upcoming planned Blu-ray
    releases.

    The studio plans to have nearly two dozen Blu-ray titles available by the
    end of the fourth quarter, including such recent hits as 'Ice Age 2,'

    Fox reps also pledged to fully exploit the video and audio capabilities
    of Blu-ray, including encoding their discs at full 1080p resolution. The
    studio is also planning to exploit the internet connectivity built into
    Blu-ray hardware, allowing for additional supplementary content to be
    downloaded by users months or even years after a title has been released,
    such as additional language tracks and other extras.

    Though Fox has not yet publicly commented on the Broadcasting & Cable
    story, trade reports indicate the studio is expected to officially
    announce its initial Blu-ray launch plans in the coming days.
    --
    "Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game.
    I know. Let's have a spelling contest."

    Now playing: "3 - Lover to Lover / Hoedown"
    Tarkus, Jun 28, 2006

  2. Tarkus

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Tarkus () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Fox reps also pledged to fully exploit the video and audio capabilities
    > of Blu-ray, including encoding their discs at full 1080p resolution.

    Wow, what an amazing thing...not. *Every* HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disc so far
    has been encoded at full 1080p for the main feature.

    Until a player/display combo comes along that can reliably allow 1080p
    to be displayed, it's kind of a non-event.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Jun 28, 2006

  3. Tarkus

    T1000 Guest

    Tarkus wrote:

    > Fox reps also pledged to fully exploit the video and audio capabilities
    > of Blu-ray, including encoding their discs at full 1080p resolution.

    Will these and other discs all be single layer mpeg2? - have Blu-Ray
    been able to release ANY dual layer discs with mpeg4 / VC1 etc? - if not
    are most Blu-Ray titles worse quality than HD-DVD?
    T1000, Jun 29, 2006
  4. Tarkus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "T1000" <> wrote in message
    > Will these and other discs all be single layer mpeg2? -

    Unknown but probably.

    > have Blu-Ray been able to release ANY dual layer discs with mpeg4 /
    > VC1 etc?

    No.

    > - if not are most Blu-Ray titles worse quality than HD-DVD?

    So far, unequivocally yes.
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 29, 2006
  5. Tarkus

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    Jeff Rife <> wrote:

    > Tarkus () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > Fox reps also pledged to fully exploit the video and audio capabilities
    > > of Blu-ray, including encoding their discs at full 1080p resolution.

    > Wow, what an amazing thing...not. *Every* HD-DVD and Blu-Ray disc so far
    > has been encoded at full 1080p for the main feature.
    >
    > Until a player/display combo comes along that can reliably allow 1080p
    > to be displayed, it's kind of a non-event.

    Aren't there suppose to be LCD, plasma and DLP sets coming this fall
    with 1080p inputs and 1:1 pixel mapping?
    poldy, Jul 1, 2006
  6. Tarkus

    Jeff Rife Guest

    poldy () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > Until a player/display combo comes along that can reliably allow 1080p
    > > to be displayed, it's kind of a non-event.

    > Aren't there suppose to be LCD, plasma and DLP sets coming this fall
    > with 1080p inputs and 1:1 pixel mapping?

    The problems are:

    - no HD player yet has 1080p output
    - tests with 1080p output from other devices have shown that displays
    that "support" 1080p input have some bugs that make it not work a lot
    of the time (but, this could just be an HDMI/HDCP issue)

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Jul 3, 2006
  7. Tarkus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    >> Aren't there suppose to be LCD, plasma and DLP sets coming this fall
    >> with 1080p inputs and 1:1 pixel mapping?

    > The problems are:
    >
    > - no HD player yet has 1080p output

    The Samsung Blu-ray player will output 1080p. However, to get there, the
    original 1920x1080 data on the Blu-ray disc is first decoded as 1080i
    and then deinterlaced to 1080p by a Faroudja deinterlacing chip. So it
    goes from 1080p->1080i->1080p.
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 3, 2006
  8. Tarkus

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Joshua Zyber () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > - no HD player yet has 1080p output

    > The Samsung Blu-ray player will output 1080p. However, to get there, the
    > original 1920x1080 data on the Blu-ray disc is first decoded as 1080i
    > and then deinterlaced to 1080p by a Faroudja deinterlacing chip. So it
    > goes from 1080p->1080i->1080p.

    That's why I said that no HD player has 1080p output. At that point,
    you have all the flaws of the Faroudja chip (and there are a few) coming
    into play.

    And, there are still problems with it then working with displays.

    --
    Jeff Rife | Coach: How's life, Norm?

    Jeff Rife, Jul 3, 2006
  9. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    On 7/3/2006 10:01:19 AM, Jeff Rife wrote:

    > Joshua Zyber () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >>> - no HD player yet has 1080p output

    >> The Samsung Blu-ray player will output 1080p. However, to get there,
    >> the original 1920x1080 data on the Blu-ray disc is first decoded as
    >> 1080i and then deinterlaced to 1080p by a Faroudja deinterlacing
    >> chip. So it goes from 1080p->1080i->1080p.

    > That's why I said that no HD player has 1080p output. At that point,
    > you have all the flaws of the Faroudja chip (and there are a few)
    > coming into play.
    >
    > And, there are still problems with it then working with displays.

    Don't you think it's a good idea for Fox and others to deliver 1080p now,
    rather than wait until the players mature, and then have to release
    updated titles?
    --
    "Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat."

    Now playing: "The Mars Volta - Asilos Magdalena"
    Tarkus, Jul 3, 2006
  10. Tarkus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Jeff Rife" <> wrote in message
    >> The Samsung Blu-ray player will output 1080p. However, to get there,
    >> the
    >> original 1920x1080 data on the Blu-ray disc is first decoded as 1080i
    >> and then deinterlaced to 1080p by a Faroudja deinterlacing chip. So
    >> it
    >> goes from 1080p->1080i->1080p.

    > That's why I said that no HD player has 1080p output.

    But it *does* have 1080p output, as I just explained.
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 3, 2006
  11. Tarkus

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > Don't you think it's a good idea for Fox and others to deliver 1080p
    > now,
    > rather than wait until the players mature, and then have to release
    > updated titles?

    There is no need to update the titles for 1080p. All HD DVDs and
    Blu-rays have been encoded as 1080p since the beginning. The limitation
    is one of the hardware, not the software, and should be rectified by the
    second generation of players.
    Joshua Zyber, Jul 3, 2006
  12. Tarkus

    Jeff Rife Guest

    Joshua Zyber () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > But it *does* have 1080p output, as I just explained.

    You could also say that a DVD player has 720p output, and although it
    might, you still suffer from the limitations of the source being 480i.
    With 1080i in the middle, although the output is 1080p, it's identical
    in every way to the 1080i that was created during the conversion from
    the source to 1080i.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "I'm reading a great John Grisham novel...it's
    Jeff Rife, Jul 4, 2006
  13. Tarkus

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 14:41:39 -0700, poldy <> Gave us:

    >Aren't there suppose to be LCD, plasma and DLP sets coming this fall
    >with 1080p inputs and 1:1 pixel mapping?

    My LCD HDTV display HD DVD at 1080 in a 1:1 direct pixel mapping.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jul 4, 2006
  14. Tarkus

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 01:10:15 GMT, Jeff Rife <> Gave us:

    >poldy () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    >> > Until a player/display combo comes along that can reliably allow 1080p
    >> > to be displayed, it's kind of a non-event.

    >> Aren't there suppose to be LCD, plasma and DLP sets coming this fall
    >> with 1080p inputs and 1:1 pixel mapping?

    >The problems are:
    >
    >- no HD player yet has 1080p output
    >- tests with 1080p output from other devices have shown that displays
    > that "support" 1080p input have some bugs that make it not work a lot
    > of the time (but, this could just be an HDMI/HDCP issue)

    It doesn't need to be p. Interlaced is fine.

    Hell, 720p blows all the old shit out of the water.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jul 4, 2006
  15. Tarkus

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 01:01:18 GMT, Jeff Rife <> Gave us:

    >You could also say that a DVD player has 720p output, and although it
    >might, you still suffer from the limitations of the source being 480i.
    >With 1080i in the middle, although the output is 1080p, it's identical
    >in every way to the 1080i that was created during the conversion from
    >the source to 1080i.

    There are NO differences in the datagram between the two. The ONLY
    difference is in how it is displayed.

    The pixel array size is the same, therefore the visual resolution is
    the same. The only difference a given viewer MIGHT notice is a slight
    flicker on the interlaced version, but the displayed pixel array (as
    in DATA) is the same.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jul 4, 2006
  16. Tarkus

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:56:50 -0400, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> Gave us:

    >"T1000" <> wrote in message
    >> Will these and other discs all be single layer mpeg2? -

    >Unknown but probably.
    >
    >> have Blu-Ray been able to release ANY dual layer discs with mpeg4 /
    >> VC1 etc?

    >No.
    >
    >> - if not are most Blu-Ray titles worse quality than HD-DVD?

    >So far, unequivocally yes.

    HEAR, HEAR... THERE... THERE!

    Most assuredly so, my dear Watson...
    Roy L. Fuchs, Jul 4, 2006