    And the discs even have the THX proof of quality. Well, I guess that only
    applies to the audio. "Improved video"??? My old laserdisc versions look far
    more better!!!

    Zeki, Dec 14, 2003

  2. Zeki

    Jay G Guest

    "Zeki" <> ...
    > A theatrical version and the special edition crammed into one disc, while
    > the second disc holds the extras - is that a good idea?

    I beleive these films use seemless branching, so they didn't
    store two whole films on one DVD, just the differences.

    > I've noticed that the quality of the movies is very poor, both on the
    > SE Abyss DVD and ID4. Besides them being non-anamorphic,
    > I noticed lots of pixealtion and washed out colors.

    This is more a result of these being very early DVD masters
    than anything else. You didn't think FOX *remastered* the
    DVDs when they re-issued them, did you?

    > And the discs even have the THX proof of quality.

    Most in the know regard THX as a joke in regards to
    proof of quality. One of the worst DVD transfers
    ever, the first Highlander DVD, had the THX logo on it.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Zeki

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Zeki" <> wrote in message
    > A theatrical version and the special edition crammed into one disc,

    while
    > the second disc holds the extras - is that a good idea? I've noticed

    that
    > the quality of the movies is very poor, both on the SE Abyss DVD and

    ID4.
    > Besides them being non-anamorphic, I noticed lots of pixealtion and

    washed
    > out colors.

    Independence Day is anamorphic.

    Joshua Zyber, Dec 14, 2003
  4. Zeki

    Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:57:37 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >"Zeki" <> wrote in message
    >> the quality of the movies is very poor, both on the SE Abyss DVD and

    >ID4.
    >> Besides them being non-anamorphic, I noticed lots of pixealtion and

    >washed
    >> out colors.

    >Independence Day is anamorphic.

    Will Abyss evern get an anamorphic treatment?

    , Dec 14, 2003
  5. Zeki

    Scot Gardner Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:57:37 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Zeki" <> wrote in message
    > > the quality of the movies is very poor, both on the SE Abyss DVD
    > >and ID4.
    > > Besides them being non-anamorphic, I noticed lots
    > >of pixealtion and washed out colors.
    > >
    > >Independence Day is anamorphic.

    > Will Abyss ever get an anamorphic treatment?

    Don't hold your breath. You're more likely to see an anamorphic
    _Titanic_ (Paramount) before you see an anamorphic version of _The
    Abyss_.

    Let's see now, Fox produced lots of DIVX product, but no Region 1 DVDs
    until December of 1998. Then, Fox produced lots of non-anamorphic
    LaserDisc-mastered DVDs for Region 1.

    Wasn't the first Fox anamorphic DVD release the _Alien_ series on
    6/1/99? And didn't Fox release a whole bunch of non-anamorphic titles
    just before the _Alien_ series including a few musicals, such as _The
    King and I_, _Carousel_ and _Oklahoma!_? And didn't Fox continue to
    release lots of non-anamorphic titles, such as the _Planet of the Apes_
    series and _The Abyss_ after the _Alien_ series?

    I may be wrong here, but I can't recall Fox ever issuing a re-mastered
    anamorphic version of a non-anamorphic DVD title.

    Scot Gardner, Dec 14, 2003
  6. >I may be wrong here, but I can't recall Fox ever issuing a re-mastered
    >anamorphic version of a non-anamorphic DVD title.

    They re-released the Die Hard Trilogy with anamorphic transfers and 2 discs
    each. Predator was first a non-anamorphic disc, but I'm pretty sure the second
    edition with DD and DTS was anamorphic. That is all I can think of.

    Remove "moc" to reply.

    When toy shopping, look for the Joe Mantegna Seal Of Safety. It's your only
    guarantee that the toy has been deemed safe by Joe Mantegna.

    Sydney Assbasket, Dec 15, 2003
  7. Sydney Assbasket wrote:

    >>I may be wrong here, but I can't recall Fox ever issuing a re-mastered
    >>anamorphic version of a non-anamorphic DVD title.
    >>

    > They re-released the Die Hard Trilogy with anamorphic transfers and 2 discs
    > each. Predator was first a non-anamorphic disc, but I'm pretty sure the second
    > edition with DD and DTS was anamorphic. That is all I can think of.

    Of course, you are completly incorrect. Scot is the king of the
    newsgroup and is never wrong

    But he is a moron.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.

    Matthew L. Martin, Dec 15, 2003
  8. From on top of The Wall I yelled "YOU! YES YOU Sydney Assbasket
    <>! Stand still laddie. Oh, and which one is Pink?"
    >> I may be wrong here, but I can't recall Fox ever issuing a
    >> re-mastered anamorphic version of a non-anamorphic DVD title.
    >>

    > They re-released the Die Hard Trilogy with anamorphic transfers and 2
    > discs each. Predator was first a non-anamorphic disc, but I'm pretty
    > sure the second edition with DD and DTS was anamorphic. That is all
    > I can think of.

    "There's Something About Mary" - original was non-anamorphic, the 2 disc
    is 16:9 enhanced.

    "Planet Of The Apes" original - original is non, new 35th anniversary is.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little
    A reminder to the world....

    Brian \Demolition Man\ Little, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Zeki

    Justin Guest

    Sydney Assbasket wrote on [15 Dec 2003 21:44:39 GMT]:
    >>I may be wrong here, but I can't recall Fox ever issuing a re-mastered
    >>anamorphic version of a non-anamorphic DVD title.
    >>

    > They re-released the Die Hard Trilogy with anamorphic transfers and 2 discs
    > each. Predator was first a non-anamorphic disc, but I'm pretty sure the second
    > edition with DD and DTS was anamorphic. That is all I can think of.

    Speed was also rereleased

    Justin, Dec 16, 2003
  10. and Last Of The Mohicans

    Michael Rogers, Dec 16, 2003