Fox announces Blu-ray titles.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Allan, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. Allan

    Allan Guest

    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08/04/fox_blu_ray/

    Fox announces Blu-ray titles

    Some of the Fox films to be available on Blu-ray. Will the upgrade to
    HD be worth the replacement cost?
    Some of the Fox films to be available on Blu-ray. Will the upgrade to
    HD be worth the replacement cost?

    Twentieth Century Fox have pledged support for the Blu-Ray format, one
    of two High Definition replacements for existing DVD Video. The news
    will be warmly received by group of hardware manufacturers who formed
    the standard, who include such industry heavyweights as Sony, Toshiba,
    Dell, Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics and Matsushita
    Electric, maker of Panasonic products.

    To receive support from a major studio like Fox is especially good for
    Sony, who's PlayStation 3 console also uses the format, which can
    store 25GB on a single layer and 50GB on dual-layer discs. Blu-ray's
    rival, HD DVD, can hold a maximum of 30GB on a dual-layered disc;
    conventional DVDs have a maximum dual-layered capacity of 9GB.

    Fox have an expansive back-catalogue of feature films and television
    series to draw from, encompassing a wide range of genres and subject
    matter. The press release specifically listed the following titles as
    examples:

    Feature Films

    * Alien I-IV
    * Die Hard Trilogy
    * X-Men I & II
    * I, Robot
    * There's Something About Mary
    * Moulin Rouge
    * Sound of Music

    Of course, buying the boxset of your favourite TV shows is
    increasingly popular these days, and Fox make some of the most popular
    shows around. The following series will be released for Blu-ray:

    * The Simpsons
    * Family Guy
    * 24
    * The X-Files
    * M*A*S*H

    ....and more will be announced in due course.

    "Blu-ray is a superior high definition technology that is a full step
    forward in the evolution of consumer packaged media," said Mike Dunn,
    President Worldwide, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment, "For
    consumers, the release of our films on Blu-ray will provide in-home
    entertainment beyond anything they have imagined. On the business
    side, the advanced functionality, picture quality and data capacity at
    a competitive manufacturing cost along with ‘room for growth’ as new
    consumer usage options are developed, fully realizes the promise of a
    next generation format and represents the future of home
    entertainment."

    Naturally, you will need an HD-ready TV to watch your new Blu-ray
    films on, which currently means splashing out for an expensive Plasma
    or LCD TV. One key element for the success of the existing DVD format
    was that it delivered clearer pictures than VHS video, as well as the
    obvious extra benefits of 5.1 surround sound, multiple audio channels
    etc using your existing TV set.

    No one would dispute that High Definition is the way to go. Indeed,
    regular digital TV broadcasts in many countries are already available
    in HD. However, the take up of stand-alone Blu-ray / HD DVD players,
    and to a lesser extent Xbox 360 / PlayStation 3, is going to be
    hampered by the fact that most people will have to invest many
    hundreds or even thousands of pounds on a HD display on top of the
    cost of these players / consoles.

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Aug 4, 2005

  2. Allan

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    Allan <> wrote:
    >http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08/04/fox_blu_ray/
    >
    >Fox announces Blu-ray titles
    >
    > Some of the Fox films to be available on Blu-ray. Will the upgrade to
    >HD be worth the replacement cost?
    >
    >Twentieth Century Fox have pledged support for the Blu-Ray format, one
    >of two High Definition replacements for existing DVD Video. The news
    >will be warmly received by group of hardware manufacturers who formed
    >the standard, who include such industry heavyweights as Sony, Toshiba,
    >Dell, Philips Electronics, Samsung Electronics and Matsushita
    >Electric, maker of Panasonic products.

    How soon we forget Fox's bull-headed behavior just 7 years ago, when DVD
    has just won the battle with the proprietary DIVX format, and Fox dragged
    their heels until DVD reached critical mass.

    Now ... they're pledging support for a format that has NO user base yet.

    Wall Street Journal - September 1998

    DVDs Catch On (but Don't Junk the VCR Yet)

    By Bruce Orwall - Staff Reporter of The Wall Street Journal

    [snip]

    At Twentieth Century Fox, Patricia Wyatt, consumer-products president, says
    that studio announced its entry into DVD last month because the format
    appeared to be reaching a "critical mass." But Fox is being very cautious,
    not wanting to drain business from videocassettes. "I think we need to look
    carefully at the dynamic between the two formats," Ms. Wyatt says.
    Mike S., Aug 4, 2005

  3. Allan

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Allan" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Fox have an expansive back-catalogue of feature films and television
    > series to draw from, encompassing a wide range of genres and subject
    > matter. The press release specifically listed the following titles as
    > examples:
    >
    > Feature Films
    >
    > * Alien I-IV
    > * Die Hard Trilogy
    > * X-Men I & II
    > * I, Robot
    > * There's Something About Mary
    > * Moulin Rouge
    > * Sound of Music
    >
    > Of course, buying the boxset of your favourite TV shows is
    > increasingly popular these days, and Fox make some of the most popular
    > shows around. The following series will be released for Blu-ray:
    >
    > * The Simpsons
    > * Family Guy
    > * 24
    > * The X-Files
    > * M*A*S*H
    >
    > ...and more will be announced in due course.

    Fox hasn't "announced" any of these titles for BluRay. These are just
    random examples of popular titles in their catalog that *could* be
    released on BluRay, maybe, possibly, eventually.
    Joshua Zyber, Aug 4, 2005
  4. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Allan" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    >> Fox have an expansive back-catalogue of feature films and television
    >> series to draw from, encompassing a wide range of genres and subject
    >> matter. The press release specifically listed the following titles as
    >> examples:
    >>
    >> Feature Films
    >>
    >> * Alien I-IV
    >> * Die Hard Trilogy
    >> * X-Men I & II
    >> * I, Robot
    >> * There's Something About Mary
    >> * Moulin Rouge
    >> * Sound of Music
    >>
    >> Of course, buying the boxset of your favourite TV shows is
    >> increasingly popular these days, and Fox make some of the most popular
    >> shows around. The following series will be released for Blu-ray:
    >>
    >> * The Simpsons
    >> * Family Guy
    >> * 24
    >> * The X-Files
    >> * M*A*S*H
    >>
    >> ...and more will be announced in due course.

    > Fox hasn't "announced" any of these titles for BluRay. These are just
    > random examples of popular titles in their catalog that *could* be
    > released on BluRay, maybe, possibly, eventually.

    They haven't even established the final design parameters for the discs and
    players.
    Alpha, Aug 4, 2005
  5. Allan

    Alpha Guest

    What I can't figure out is where these discs are going to be manufactured.
    Who has invested in the new plants required? When will they be completed?
    Alpha, Aug 4, 2005
  6. Allan

    afiggatt Guest

    Allan wrote:
    > http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08/04/fox_blu_ray/
    >
    > Fox announces Blu-ray titles
    >
    > Some of the Fox films to be available on Blu-ray. Will the upgrade to
    > HD be worth the replacement cost?
    > Naturally, you will need an HD-ready TV to watch your new Blu-ray
    > films on, which currently means splashing out for an expensive Plasma
    > or LCD TV.

    You have to wonder about who writes these articles. Are they not aware
    that there are direct view CRT HD TVs and a slew of rear projection TV
    technologies - CRT, DLP, LCD, LCOS - all of which can display HD? How
    does this get past the editor or fact checker?

    As for the older TV titles, unless they spend considerable $
    remastering old TV shows - and only those that were shot and edited in
    35 mm & where good quality 35 mm copies exist are candidates - the only
    benefit in going to HD disks is squeezing an entire season on 1 or 2
    disk. The only TV titles on HD-DVDs or BDs that I would spend a penny
    more on are newer shows shot in HD. For the older TV shows, unless you
    really want to get the entire season on 1 disk, why get a BD version?

    Alan F
    afiggatt, Aug 5, 2005
  7. Allan

    Goro Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Allan" <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > Fox have an expansive back-catalogue of feature films and television
    > > series to draw from, encompassing a wide range of genres and subject
    > > matter. The press release specifically listed the following titles as
    > > examples:
    > >
    > > Feature Films
    > >
    > > * Alien I-IV
    > > * Die Hard Trilogy
    > > * X-Men I & II
    > > * I, Robot
    > > * There's Something About Mary
    > > * Moulin Rouge
    > > * Sound of Music
    > >
    > > Of course, buying the boxset of your favourite TV shows is
    > > increasingly popular these days, and Fox make some of the most popular
    > > shows around. The following series will be released for Blu-ray:
    > >
    > > * The Simpsons
    > > * Family Guy
    > > * 24
    > > * The X-Files
    > > * M*A*S*H
    > >
    > > ...and more will be announced in due course.

    > Fox hasn't "announced" any of these titles for BluRay. These are just
    > random examples of popular titles in their catalog that *could* be
    > released on BluRay, maybe, possibly, eventually.

    I think it's a reasonable guess to think that Fox, in pleding support
    for BluRay, would try to release many of its cornerstone items in
    prestige packaging to try to convince users to adopt BluRay.

    In fact, I'd be surprised if a huge array of TV titles from Fox weren't
    among the first to be launched, perhaps even at loss-leader pricing.
    Imagine XFILES Complete series $99.95 or SIMPSONS Seasons 1-6 In
    Special Homer Simpson Head $49.95 or FUTURAMA Complete Series $49.95.
    That would make me buy a BR player right then and there.

    -goro-
    Goro, Aug 5, 2005
  8. afiggatt wrote:
    > Allan wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08/04/fox_blu_ray/
    >>
    >> Fox announces Blu-ray titles
    >>
    >> Some of the Fox films to be available on Blu-ray. Will the upgrade to
    >> HD be worth the replacement cost?
    >> Naturally, you will need an HD-ready TV to watch your new Blu-ray
    >> films on, which currently means splashing out for an expensive Plasma
    >> or LCD TV.

    > You have to wonder about who writes these articles. Are they not aware
    > that there are direct view CRT HD TVs and a slew of rear projection TV
    > technologies - CRT, DLP, LCD, LCOS - all of which can display HD? How
    > does this get past the editor or fact checker?
    >
    > As for the older TV titles, unless they spend considerable $
    > remastering old TV shows - and only those that were shot and edited in
    > 35 mm & where good quality 35 mm copies exist are candidates - the only
    > benefit in going to HD disks is squeezing an entire season on 1 or 2
    > disk. The only TV titles on HD-DVDs or BDs that I would spend a penny
    > more on are newer shows shot in HD. For the older TV shows, unless you
    > really want to get the entire season on 1 disk, why get a BD version?
    >
    > Alan F

    facts have no place in newgroups
    Blaine Lefebvre, Aug 5, 2005