FOVEON: There is no substitute

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gary, Apr 25, 2006.

  1. Gary

    Gary Guest

    Why The X3 is Way Betterer

    To capture the color that other image sensors miss, Foveon X3® direct
    image sensors use three layers of pixels embedded in silicon. The
    layers are positioned to take advantage of the fact that silicon
    absorbs different wavelengths of light to different depths. The bottom
    layer records red, the middle layer records green, and the top layer
    records blue. Each stack of pixels directly records all of the light at
    each point in the image.

    Until now, all other image sensors have featured just one layer of
    pixels, capturing just one color per point the image. To capture color,
    the pixel sensors in CCD and CMOS image sensors are organized in a
    grid, or mosaic, resembling a three-color checkerboard. Each pixel is
    covered with a filter and records just one color-red, green, or blue.

    That approach has inherent drawbacks, no matter how many pixels a
    mosaic-based image sensor might contain. Since mosaic-based image
    sensors capture only one-third of the color, complex processing is
    required to interpolate the color they miss. Interpolation leads to
    color artifacts and a loss of image detail. Blur filters must then be
    used to reduce color artifacts. The use of blur filters adversely
    affects sharpness and resolution of the final image captured.

    With its revolutionary process for capturing light, Foveon X3
    technology never needs to compromise on quality, so you get sharper
    pictures, truer colors, and fewer artifacts. And cameras equipped with
    Foveon X3 technology do not have to rely on processing power to fill in
    missing colors, reducing hardware requirements, simplifying designs and
    minimizing lag time between one shot and the next.

    Dollar for dollar, pixel for pixel, nothing compares to Foveon X3
    technology.

    http://www.foveon.com/article.php?a=69
    Gary, Apr 25, 2006

  2. Gary

    Mark² Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > Why The X3 is Way Betterer
    >
    > To capture the color that other image sensors miss, Foveon X3® direct
    > image sensors use three layers of pixels embedded in silicon. The

    A very poor attempt at trolling...

    The OP is merely a cut and paste from this site:
    http://www.foveon.com/article.php?a=69

    Groups adjusted
    PLONK
    Mark², Apr 25, 2006

  3. Gary wrote:
    > Why The X3 is Way Betterer

    Cause it helps you spell better.

    --
    Lsmft
    John McWilliams, Apr 25, 2006
  4. Gary

    Bob Guest

    "Gary" <>

    You must be a very lonely person.
    Bob, Apr 25, 2006
  5. Gary

    RiceHigh Guest

    RiceHigh, Apr 25, 2006
  6. Bob wrote:
    > "Gary" <>
    >

    > You must be a very lonely person.

    He sends copies of this crap back to himself, so he's not lonely.

    Inarticulate, yes.

    Kook groups removed.

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Apr 25, 2006
  7. RiceHigh wrote:
    > Why it haven't been popular if it is so good?

    Ah, because this is a troll, groups adjusted.

    --
    lsmft
    John McWilliams, Apr 25, 2006
  8. Gary

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Gary wrote:
    > Why The X3 is Way Betterer
    >
    > To capture the color that other image sensors miss, Foveon X3® direct
    > image sensors use three layers of pixels embedded in silicon. The
    > layers are positioned to take advantage of the fact that silicon
    > absorbs different wavelengths of light to different depths. The bottom
    > layer records red, the middle layer records green, and the top layer
    > records blue. Each stack of pixels directly records all of the light at
    > each point in the image.
    >
    > Until now, all other image sensors have featured just one layer of
    > pixels, capturing just one color per point the image. To capture color,
    > the pixel sensors in CCD and CMOS image sensors are organized in a
    > grid, or mosaic, resembling a three-color checkerboard. Each pixel is
    > covered with a filter and records just one color-red, green, or blue.
    >
    > That approach has inherent drawbacks, no matter how many pixels a
    > mosaic-based image sensor might contain. Since mosaic-based image
    > sensors capture only one-third of the color, complex processing is
    > required to interpolate the color they miss. Interpolation leads to
    > color artifacts and a loss of image detail. Blur filters must then be
    > used to reduce color artifacts. The use of blur filters adversely
    > affects sharpness and resolution of the final image captured.
    >
    > With its revolutionary process for capturing light, Foveon X3
    > technology never needs to compromise on quality, so you get sharper
    > pictures, truer colors, and fewer artifacts. And cameras equipped with
    > Foveon X3 technology do not have to rely on processing power to fill in
    > missing colors, reducing hardware requirements, simplifying designs and
    > minimizing lag time between one shot and the next.
    >
    > Dollar for dollar, pixel for pixel, nothing compares to Foveon X3
    > technology.
    >
    > http://www.foveon.com/article.php?a=69

    Just one question. If it is so superior, why doesn't the entire
    industry adopt it?
    Ron Hunter, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Gary

    Pete D Guest

    >> Dollar for dollar, pixel for pixel, nothing compares to Foveon X3
    >> technology.
    >>
    >> http://www.foveon.com/article.php?a=69
    >>

    > Just one question. If it is so superior, why doesn't the entire industry
    > adopt it?

    Actually every camera manufacturer is now using the technology but are far
    too embarrassed to tell us! ;-)
    Pete D, Apr 25, 2006
  10. Gary

    Father Kodak Guest

    On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:26:24 -0700, John McWilliams
    <> wrote:

    >Ah, because this is a troll, groups adjusted.

    In complete agreement that the OP is in need of professional help, or
    at the very least a new prescription on his meds.

    What does "groups adjusted" and similar terms mean?

    Father Kodak
    Father Kodak, Apr 25, 2006
  11. "Father Kodak" <> wrote in message

    > What does "groups adjusted" and similar terms mean?

    The OP sent the original post to several NGs - 2 of which were irrelivant to
    photography & cameras - the replier is saying that he's removed these from
    his reply.
    Pete Mitchell, Apr 25, 2006
  12. "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message
    > Gary wrote:
    >> Why The X3 is Way Betterer
    >>
    >> To capture the color that other image sensors miss, Foveon X3® direct
    >> image sensors use three layers of pixels embedded in silicon. The
    >> layers are positioned to take advantage of the fact that silicon
    >> absorbs different wavelengths of light to different depths. The bottom
    >> layer records red, the middle layer records green, and the top layer
    >> records blue. Each stack of pixels directly records all of the light at
    >> each point in the image.
    >>
    >> Until now, all other image sensors have featured just one layer of
    >> pixels, capturing just one color per point the image. To capture color,
    >> the pixel sensors in CCD and CMOS image sensors are organized in a
    >> grid, or mosaic, resembling a three-color checkerboard. Each pixel is
    >> covered with a filter and records just one color-red, green, or blue.
    >>
    >> That approach has inherent drawbacks, no matter how many pixels a
    >> mosaic-based image sensor might contain. Since mosaic-based image
    >> sensors capture only one-third of the color, complex processing is
    >> required to interpolate the color they miss. Interpolation leads to
    >> color artifacts and a loss of image detail. Blur filters must then be
    >> used to reduce color artifacts. The use of blur filters adversely
    >> affects sharpness and resolution of the final image captured.
    >>
    >> With its revolutionary process for capturing light, Foveon X3
    >> technology never needs to compromise on quality, so you get sharper
    >> pictures, truer colors, and fewer artifacts. And cameras equipped with
    >> Foveon X3 technology do not have to rely on processing power to fill in
    >> missing colors, reducing hardware requirements, simplifying designs and
    >> minimizing lag time between one shot and the next.
    >>
    >> Dollar for dollar, pixel for pixel, nothing compares to Foveon X3
    >> technology.
    >>
    >> http://www.foveon.com/article.php?a=69
    >>

    > Just one question. If it is so superior, why doesn't the entire industry
    > adopt it?

    One reason for not adopting the technology is the huge investment that has
    already been made in Beyer-sensor technology.
    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Apr 25, 2006
  13. Gary

    g n p Guest

    Here we go again..............
    Sigh....................
    Plonk.
    g n p, Apr 25, 2006
  14. Gary

    Lionel Guest

    On 24 Apr 2006 22:48:49 -0700, "RiceHigh" <> opined:

    **** off, Bowtie.

    Lionel, Apr 25, 2006
  15. Gary

    Lionel Guest

    On 24 Apr 2006 21:52:29 -0700, "Gary" <>
    opined:

    **** off, Bowtie.

    Lionel, Apr 25, 2006
  16. "Gary" <> wrote in message
    Why The X3 is Way Betterer

    Dollar for dollar, pixel for pixel, nothing compares to Foveon X3
    technology.

    Why is it then that there hasn't been any new Foveon dSLR based product
    since the Sigma SD10?
    Darrell Larose, Apr 25, 2006
  17. "Bob" <> wrote in message

    > "Gary" <>
    >

    > You must be a very lonely person.

    Actually it's a troll with someone forging Burnore's name. Likely Steve
    Giovanni aka George Preddy
    Darrell Larose, Apr 25, 2006
  18. Gary

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 06:08:07 -0400, "Peter A. Stavrakoglou"
    <> wrote:

    >> Just one question. If it is so superior, why doesn't the entire industry
    >> adopt it?

    >One reason for not adopting the technology is the huge investment that has
    >already been made in Beyer-sensor technology.

    How long does it take to recoup that investment?
    New technology (*EXPENSIVE* new technology) is being implemented all
    the time.
    The Sigma SDx cameras haven't been barn-burners in the sales
    department. The Foveon chip may or may not be the reason for that, but
    the Foveon chip has been hitched to the Sigma cameras for better or
    worse. The *impression* in the marketplace is that he Foveon chip is
    the responsible factor.
    Why would Canon (or any other mfgr) use a chip that has a bad stigma
    attached?
    --
    Bill Funk
    replace "g" with "a"
    Bill Funk, Apr 25, 2006
  19. Any of the high end DSLR's irrespective of whatever image capturing device
    they possess, will produce excellent photographs if used properly.
    Perhaps people should go and take photographs rather than talk incessantly
    about the brand and what is 'under the bonnet' of their DSLRs?

    Nigel Cummings, Apr 25, 2006
  20. Gary

    RichA Guest

    Eventually, something like Foveon will replace Beyer. Why? Because
    the basic design
    is much simpler, which generally means cheaper. Foveon or similar
    technology my be worthless right now, but give the engineers a few more
    years.
    RichA, Apr 25, 2006