Four Reasons I Won't Use XP

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Necromancer, Mar 23, 2005.

  1. Necromancer

    Necromancer Guest

    I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:

    1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone recommend
    a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them? I'm
    aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to address
    THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall could
    also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to close
    them, just for good measure.

    2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship with
    Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's none
    of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration process
    is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a known
    "good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with a
    complementary copy of a trojan dropper. :p

    3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of my
    hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
    via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
    anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?

    4) Phone-homery. This one really pisses me off. The search assistant,
    the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
    obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's constant
    reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
    else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an XP
    box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
    including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone know
    of such a guide?

    Thanks in advance.

    Necromancer, Mar 23, 2005

  2. Necromancer

    Steve P Guest

    Well don't use it then!

    Steve P, Mar 23, 2005

  3. Necromancer

    doS Guest

    That's telling 'em.

    doS, Mar 23, 2005
  4. Necromancer wrote:

    > I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
    >
    > 1) Open ports.

    Zone Alarm free edition.

    > 2) Windows product activation.

    Buy the corporate edition.

    > 3) Hardware fingerprinting.

    Buy the corporate edition.

    > 4) Phone-homery.

    Zone Alarm free edition.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 23, 2005
  5. Necromancer

    Vanguard Guest

    "Necromancer" <> wrote in message
    >I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
    >
    > 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports.

    Apparently we are to assume that you are "upgrading" from a non-Windows
    platform to a Windows platform. Won't work. Windows UPGRADES only let
    you migrate upward from an existing installation of Windows. Your
    statement infers that either you were not using Windows before or you
    mistakeningly believe that prior versions of Windows did not have open
    ports (which YOU must open by running an application that actually
    listens on a port). In your example, don't set the "Messenger" NT
    service to load automatically (or even manually; i.e., disable it) if
    you don't want it listening on port 135 (and a few others). A port
    cannot be used/abused unless some process is *listening* on that port.
    Use SysInternal's TCPview to see which processes are listening on a
    port.

    > 2) Windows product activation. My relationship with
    > Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy.

    Easily accomplished. Don't use their software if you don't agree to its
    terms of use or its behavior. There are plenty of other choices for an
    operating system.

    > 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of
    > my
    > hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do
    > so
    > via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve
    > this,
    > anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?

    Same solution as above. Use someone's software to whom you do agree to
    their terms and behavior.

    > 4) Phone-homery. This one really pisses me off. The search
    > assistant,
    > the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making
    > some
    > obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's
    > constant
    > reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea.

    You are incapable of going into its options and simply disabling them?
    Sure seemed real easy to me. Of course, and since you already mentioned
    firewalls, use a firewall that monitors outbound connections by
    application (i.e., it has application rules) and simply select to block
    all connects by WMP when the firewall's prompt appears when WMP first
    attempts to connect. No rocket science needed.

    > I have to imagine someone
    > else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an
    > XP
    > box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to
    > Microsoft --
    > including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone
    > know
    > of such a guide?

    A Google search will turn up lots of Windows guides, help articles, and
    tweaking utilities. Self-education takes time but may be shorter than
    taking classes depending on your initiative. Otherwise, you can always
    ask specific questions about a specific behavior that you want to alter
    and hope someone provides a specific response. Since you mentioned
    firewalls, you already know the solution: define filters to block all
    connects to Microsoft's domains: microsoft.com, msn.com, hotmail.com,
    akamai.com (Microsoft contracts with them for Windows Update load
    balancing), and any others you find. Many firewalls only let you block
    by IP address which is a pain. Some will let you do URL filtering where
    you can specify the URL string on which you want to block (just make
    sure your hosts file hasn't been corrupted to redirect to malware sites,
    plus you may have to flush the local DNS cache after blocking a site by
    URL instead of by IP address). Then you never have to deal or
    communicate with Microsoft again although, as mentioned above, not using
    their products is probably an easier solution (but then you'll have to
    deal with the behavior of whomever else's software you use).

    Vanguard, Mar 23, 2005
  6. "Necromancer" <> wrote in message
    >I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
    >
    > 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone recommend
    > a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them?
    > I'm
    > aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to
    > address
    > THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall could
    > also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to close
    > them, just for good measure.
    >
    > 2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship with
    > Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's
    > none
    > of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration
    > process
    > is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a
    > known
    > "good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with a
    > complementary copy of a trojan dropper. :p
    >
    > 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of my
    > hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
    > via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
    > anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?
    >
    > 4) Phone-homery. This one really pisses me off. The search assistant,
    > the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
    > obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's constant
    > reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
    > else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an XP
    > box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
    > including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone know
    > of such a guide?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Use Linux, it won't recognise your network adaptors anyway, so open ports
    aren't a problem. Even if you do miraculously get it working, I don't think
    modern trojans are backwards compatible with Linux's 1970's applications.

    mentalguy2004, Mar 23, 2005
  7. It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:27:54 +0000, that mentalguy2004 contributed:

    > "Necromancer" <> wrote in message
    >>I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
    >>
    >> 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone recommend
    >> a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them?
    >> I'm
    >> aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to
    >> address
    >> THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall could
    >> also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to close
    >> them, just for good measure.
    >>
    >> 2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship with
    >> Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's
    >> none
    >> of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration
    >> process
    >> is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a
    >> known
    >> "good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with a
    >> complementary copy of a trojan dropper. :p
    >>
    >> 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of my
    >> hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
    >> via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
    >> anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?
    >>
    >> 4) Phone-homery. This one really pisses me off. The search assistant,
    >> the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
    >> obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's constant
    >> reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
    >> else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an XP
    >> box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
    >> including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone know
    >> of such a guide?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.

    > Use Linux, it won't recognise your network adaptors anyway,

    Bullshit, as a search of any linux hardware database will show.

    > so open ports aren't a problem. Even if you do miraculously get it
    > working,

    It's very easy to get any modern linux distro working.

    > I don't think modern trojans are backwards compatible with
    > Linux's 1970's applications.

    So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not surprised.

    Perce P. Cassidy, Mar 23, 2005
  8. "Perce P. Cassidy" <> wrote in message
    > It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:27:54 +0000, that mentalguy2004 contributed:
    >

    >> "Necromancer" <> wrote in message
    >>>I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
    >>>
    >>> 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone
    >>> recommend
    >>> a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them?
    >>> I'm
    >>> aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to
    >>> address
    >>> THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall
    >>> could
    >>> also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to
    >>> close
    >>> them, just for good measure.
    >>>
    >>> 2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship
    >>> with
    >>> Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's
    >>> none
    >>> of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration
    >>> process
    >>> is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a
    >>> known
    >>> "good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with
    >>> complementary copy of a trojan dropper. :p
    >>>
    >>> 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of
    >>> my
    >>> hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
    >>> via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
    >>> anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?
    >>>
    >>> 4) Phone-homery. This one really pisses me off. The search assistant,
    >>> the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
    >>> obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's
    >>> constant
    >>> reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
    >>> else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an
    >>> XP
    >>> box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
    >>> including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone
    >>> know
    >>> of such a guide?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance.

    >> Use Linux, it won't recognise your network adaptors anyway,

    > Bullshit, as a search of any linux hardware database will show.
    >
    >> so open ports aren't a problem. Even if you do miraculously get it
    >> working,

    > It's very easy to get any modern linux distro working.
    >
    >> I don't think modern trojans are backwards compatible with
    >> Linux's 1970's applications.

    > So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not surprised.

    LOL, you linux nerds are a humourless lot....

    mentalguy2004, Mar 23, 2005
  9. Necromancer

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:03:27 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <> wrote:

    >"Perce P. Cassidy" <> wrote in message
    >> It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:27:54 +0000, that mentalguy2004 contributed:

    <snip>
    >>> Use Linux, it won't recognise your network adaptors anyway,

    >> Bullshit, as a search of any linux hardware database will show.
    >>
    >>> so open ports aren't a problem. Even if you do miraculously get it
    >>> working,

    >> It's very easy to get any modern linux distro working.
    >>
    >>> I don't think modern trojans are backwards compatible with
    >>> Linux's 1970's applications.

    >> So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not surprised.

    >LOL, you linux nerds are a humourless lot....

    It has nothing to do with humor, and everything to do with false information.
    Linux sees my network adapter just fine, it was quite easy to install and
    configure, and the bit about "Linux's 1970's applications" is a flat-out lie -
    if that were true, those "70's applications" wouldn't run on today's hardware,
    which is light-years different from then.

    "But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your delusions. :)"

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Mar 23, 2005
  10. "Mara" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:03:27 GMT, "mentalguy2004" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Perce P. Cassidy" <> wrote in message
    >>> It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 18:27:54 +0000, that mentalguy2004
    >>> contributed:

    > <snip>
    >>>
    >>> Bullshit, as a search of any linux hardware database will show.

    >>> It's very easy to get any modern linux distro working.

    >>> So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not
    >>> surprised.

    >>LOL, you linux nerds are a humourless lot....

    > It has nothing to do with humor, and everything to do with false
    > information.
    > Linux sees my network adapter just fine, it was quite easy to install and
    > configure, and the bit about "Linux's 1970's applications" is a flat-out
    > lie -
    > if that were true, those "70's applications" wouldn't run on today's
    > hardware,
    > which is light-years different from then.

    LOL again. I'm reeling them in today! Must have hit a nerve.

    mentalguy2004, Mar 23, 2005
  11. Mara wrote:

    > It has nothing to do with humor, and everything to do with false information.
    > Linux sees my network adapter just fine, it was quite easy to install and
    > configure, and the bit about "Linux's 1970's applications" is a flat-out lie -
    > if that were true, those "70's applications" wouldn't run on today's hardware,
    > which is light-years different from then.
    >
    > "But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your delusions. :)"

    I'm not even a Linux person although I have 2 Fedora servers and a
    Mikrotik router that I use. I've yet to struggle with finding and
    setting up any device. It may happen tomorrow, but so far it's been damn
    near falling off a log easy to set up a Linux box.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 23, 2005
  12. Necromancer

    Billh Guest

    Necromancer wrote:
    > I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:
    >
    > 1) Open ports. Tons and tons of open TCP/UDP ports. Can anyone recommend
    > a guide somewhere that lists them all, and explains how to close them? I'm
    > aware 135/RPC cannot be closed, and will use a hardware firewall to address
    > THAT one. But the others CAN be closed, and even though a firewall could
    > also be used to address all the other open ports, I *still* want to close
    > them, just for good measure.
    >
    > 2) Windows product activation. **** this bullshit. My relationship with
    > Microsoft ends when I walk out of CompUSA with my paid-for copy. It's none
    > of their business that I ever install it. Even if the registration process
    > is "anonymous" (yeah, until proven otherwise). Can anyone recommend a known
    > "good" crack for WPA? By "good", I mean one that doesn't also come with a
    > complementary copy of a trojan dropper. :p
    >
    > 3) Hardware fingerprinting. See curses above. I'll change as much of my
    > hardware as I please, and refuse to beg Microsoft's permission to do so
    > via another round of WPA. Assuming a crack for (2) wouldn't solve this,
    > anyone know a crack for the hardware change detection crap?
    >
    > 4) Phone-homery. This one really pisses me off. The search assistant,
    > the parts of Windows Update that cannot be disabled without making some
    > obscure change to policy editor/registry, Windows Media Player's constant
    > reporting of what you're watching, ad nausea. I have to imagine someone
    > else hates this enough to have made a comprehensive guide to making an XP
    > box *completely* silent in terms of outbound connections to Microsoft --
    > including all possible obscure policy editor/regedit changes. Anyone know
    > of such a guide?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Am I reading a three year old post?

    If you won't use XP why do you want help with it?

    Billh, Mar 23, 2005
  13. It was on Wed, 23 Mar 2005 19:23:41 +0000, that mentalguy2004 contributed:

    begin bullshit.vbs

    > LOL again. I'm reeling them in today! Must have hit a nerve.

    Caught out, & backpeddling. What a prick.

    Perce P. Cassidy, Mar 23, 2005
  14. Necromancer

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:28:18 -0500, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:
    >
    >> It has nothing to do with humor, and everything to do with false information.
    >> Linux sees my network adapter just fine, it was quite easy to install and
    >> configure, and the bit about "Linux's 1970's applications" is a flat-out lie -
    >> if that were true, those "70's applications" wouldn't run on today's hardware,
    >> which is light-years different from then.
    >>
    >> "But hey, don't let the facts get in the way of your delusions. :)"

    >I'm not even a Linux person although I have 2 Fedora servers and a
    >Mikrotik router that I use. I've yet to struggle with finding and
    >setting up any device. It may happen tomorrow, but so far it's been damn
    >near falling off a log easy to set up a Linux box.

    It's MUCH easier than setting up 2k on a RAID stripe was. Or worse, setting up
    XP on a RAID stripe.

    "That was...interesting."

    Mara, Mar 23, 2005
  15. Necromancer

    Barney Guest

    "Necromancer" <> had
    writtennews:yai0e.2025$:

    > I would LIKE to upgrade to Windows XP, but I have four concerns:

    Upgrade from what? MS seems to have kept upgrades for previous
    additions for longer then a warranty on most new cars. You don't want
    to register on line but you want to upgrade! That's your choice and
    perhaps you feel only the older is better. I am sure there are many
    users of XP that will let you have their old W95 disc.

    --
    Barney __________________________
    Wisdom from the sleeping dogs!

    Barney, Mar 23, 2005
  16. Necromancer

    Ron Martell Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >> 2) Windows product activation.

    >Buy the corporate edition.

    No such beastie is available for purchase.

    The so-called corporate edition is a reference to bootleg/pirated
    copies of the multiple license version.

    Multiple license versions require an initial purchase of at least 5
    licenses. And while the multiple license version of Windows XP does
    not require activation it does require the purchaser to agree to allow
    on-site audits by Microsoft or their representatives to ensure
    compliance with the licensing terms.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Mar 23, 2005
  17. Ron Martell wrote:

    > Multiple license versions require an initial purchase of at least 5
    > And while the multiple license version of Windows XP does
    > not require activation it does require the purchaser to agree to allow
    > on-site audits by Microsoft or their representatives to ensure
    > compliance with the licensing terms.

    THAT'S why those squinty-eyed guys keep trying to look in my window ...
    I thought it was my nightie.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 23, 2005
  18. Necromancer

    elaich Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in news:0fidnViOh8AnLNzfRVn-
    :

    >> 1) Open ports.

    > Zone Alarm free edition.

    LMAO! You have GOT to be kidding! Zone Alarm Free is the absolute worst
    firewall you could use if you want open port control.

    Try Sygate or Kerio.

    elaich, Mar 23, 2005
  19. Necromancer

    elaich Guest

    "Perce P. Cassidy" <> wrote in news:elp8h2-
    :

    > So, you haven't a clue what you're talking about. Why am I not surprised.

    Haven't you noticed that about 90% of the people in here don't?

    Use Outlook Express, run Windows XP, use Internet Explorer, use Zone Alarm,
    use Windows Media Player. Be sure to upgrade that old 500 MHz box to XP
    SP2! Then you'll be as secure as you can possibly be in the computing
    world!

    Anybody who disagrees with them is subjected to ridicule and derision.
    Typical of most little cliques of know nothings who have to band together
    to protect themselves in the light of reason and knowledge.

    Either that or they're all on the Microsoft payroll.

    elaich, Mar 23, 2005
  20. elaich, <> wrote:

    > Anybody who disagrees is subjected to ridicule and derision.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!

    Kajetan Marszalkowi, Mar 24, 2005