forwarding broadcasting over a VPN

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ARBO, Dec 11, 2004.

  1. ARBO

    ARBO Guest

    Hello all,

    I have a Domain Trust problem,

    Office 1 has a NT Domain Controller.

    Office 2 has a 2000 Domain Controller (set to mix mode)

    I have a VPN between office's (Cisco 2600 & PIX) that is working fine (ping
    etc works fine)

    I have set up Domain trusts from Office 2 Win 2000 SP4,

    but I can not set up trusted Domain from Office 1 (NT) have set up trusting.

    The error I get is " Could not find domain controller for this domain"

    Looked at Microsoft TEC NET error = Win not replicating.

    But my thoughts are that the routers are not forwarding broadcasting over
    the VPN

    And I need a DHCP relay agent to forward NETBIOS and WINS over TCP/IP

    Is this right.

    Thank you

    Tony T

    ARBO, Dec 11, 2004

  2. ARBO

    PES Guest

    ARBO wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I have a Domain Trust problem,
    >
    > Office 1 has a NT Domain Controller.
    >
    > Office 2 has a 2000 Domain Controller (set to mix mode)
    >
    > I have a VPN between office's (Cisco 2600 & PIX) that is working fine (ping
    > etc works fine)
    >
    > I have set up Domain trusts from Office 2 Win 2000 SP4,
    >
    > but I can not set up trusted Domain from Office 1 (NT) have set up trusting.
    >
    > The error I get is " Could not find domain controller for this domain"
    >
    > Looked at Microsoft TEC NET error = Win not replicating.
    >
    > But my thoughts are that the routers are not forwarding broadcasting over
    > the VPN
    >
    > And I need a DHCP relay agent to forward NETBIOS and WINS over TCP/IP
    >
    > Is this right.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Tony T

    If you utilize a WINS naming server, you do not need to forward
    broadcasts. To get it working properly, you may also just want to point
    both servers to the same server with wins installed until you can get a
    second one set up and replicate the wins database. Also, even with
    IPSEC, you should be able to turn a broadcast into a directional
    broadcast or at least a unicast on the lan side with the ip helper
    address command on the inside of your source.

    --
    -------------------------
    Paul Stewart

    PES, Dec 11, 2004

  3. ARBO

    ARBO Guest

    "PES" <> wrote in message
    > ARBO wrote:
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I have a Domain Trust problem,
    > >
    > > Office 1 has a NT Domain Controller.
    > >
    > > Office 2 has a 2000 Domain Controller (set to mix mode)
    > >
    > > I have a VPN between office's (Cisco 2600 & PIX) that is working fine

    (ping
    > > etc works fine)
    > >
    > > I have set up Domain trusts from Office 2 Win 2000 SP4,
    > >
    > > but I can not set up trusted Domain from Office 1 (NT) have set up

    trusting.

    > > The error I get is " Could not find domain controller for this domain"
    > >
    > > Looked at Microsoft TEC NET error = Win not replicating.
    > >
    > > But my thoughts are that the routers are not forwarding broadcasting

    over
    > > the VPN
    > >
    > > And I need a DHCP relay agent to forward NETBIOS and WINS over TCP/IP
    > >
    > > Is this right.
    > >
    > > Thank you
    > >
    > > Tony T
    > >

    > If you utilize a WINS naming server, you do not need to forward
    > broadcasts. To get it working properly, you may also just want to point
    > both servers to the same server with wins installed until you can get a
    > second one set up and replicate the wins database. Also, even with
    > IPSEC, you should be able to turn a broadcast into a directional
    > broadcast or at least a unicast on the lan side with the ip helper
    > address command on the inside of your source.
    >

    > --
    > -------------------------
    > Paul Stewart
    > Lexnet Inc.
    > Email address is in ROT13

    Thanks Paul,
    When I pont the Wins server thats the NT Domain to the 2000 Domain, then I
    get the error
    " Could not find domain controller for this domain"
    But I can see the wins data on the NT PDC from the 2000 PDC.
    The 2000 Domain has been set-up as so the NT Domain is trusted and
    trustting, and WINS has been set as push pull H node 0x8.
    So when I got the error " Could not find domain controller for this domain"
    it made me think of broadcasting, When you pont the NT Domain to the 2000
    Domain, how dose it get that info, is it by broadcasting or from WINS, DNS,
    or netBIOS?
    Much appricate the help.
    Tony T

    ARBO, Dec 11, 2004
  4. ARBO

    PES Guest

    ARBO wrote:
    > "PES" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>ARBO wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hello all,
    >>>
    >>>I have a Domain Trust problem,
    >>>
    >>>Office 1 has a NT Domain Controller.
    >>>
    >>>Office 2 has a 2000 Domain Controller (set to mix mode)
    >>>
    >>>I have a VPN between office's (Cisco 2600 & PIX) that is working fine

    > (ping
    >
    >>>etc works fine)
    >>>
    >>>I have set up Domain trusts from Office 2 Win 2000 SP4,
    >>>
    >>>but I can not set up trusted Domain from Office 1 (NT) have set up

    > trusting.
    >
    >>>The error I get is " Could not find domain controller for this domain"
    >>>
    >>>Looked at Microsoft TEC NET error = Win not replicating.
    >>>
    >>>But my thoughts are that the routers are not forwarding broadcasting

    > over
    >
    >>>the VPN
    >>>
    >>>And I need a DHCP relay agent to forward NETBIOS and WINS over TCP/IP
    >>>
    >>>Is this right.
    >>>
    >>>Thank you
    >>>
    >>>Tony T
    >>>

    >>If you utilize a WINS naming server, you do not need to forward
    >>broadcasts. To get it working properly, you may also just want to point
    >>both servers to the same server with wins installed until you can get a
    >>second one set up and replicate the wins database. Also, even with
    >>IPSEC, you should be able to turn a broadcast into a directional
    >>broadcast or at least a unicast on the lan side with the ip helper
    >>address command on the inside of your source.
    >>

    >>--
    >> -------------------------
    >> Paul Stewart
    >> Lexnet Inc.
    >> Email address is in ROT13

    > Thanks Paul,
    > When I pont the Wins server thats the NT Domain to the 2000 Domain, then I
    > get the error
    > " Could not find domain controller for this domain"
    > But I can see the wins data on the NT PDC from the 2000 PDC.
    > The 2000 Domain has been set-up as so the NT Domain is trusted and
    > trustting, and WINS has been set as push pull H node 0x8.
    > So when I got the error " Could not find domain controller for this domain"
    > it made me think of broadcasting, When you pont the NT Domain to the 2000
    > Domain, how dose it get that info, is it by broadcasting or from WINS, DNS,
    > or netBIOS?
    > Much appricate the help.
    > Tony T

    This is actually probably better posted to a MS newsgroup. To answer
    your question, it depends on the version of windows and netbios node
    type. In most cases you would want to configure this to wins first then
    broadcast if you are connecting to machines on the other end of a wan or
    vpn. Evidentily, the domain controller has not registered itself and
    its service type in the wins database that the machine that is giving
    you the error is pointing to. If a wins server is configured, it will
    be consulted at some point, the timing depends on the node type. I'm
    not intimately familiar enough with this to give you a packet level
    example of what is going on. However, I have deployed several of these
    and haven't had a huge amount of issues.

    --
    Paul Stewart

    PES, Dec 12, 2004
  5. ARBO

    Joe Beasley Guest

    You must use a WINS server on one (or both) of the networks. Your clients
    and servers must use this wins server in their tcp/ip settings.

    If you use a wins server at both sites, setup wins replication between them
    and let the clients at each site use the local wins server.

    Joe Beasley, Dec 14, 2004