Fortune 100 web site hosting OSes

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thing, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. thing

    thing Guest

    thing, Nov 19, 2004

  2. thing

    Gordon Guest

    Gordon, Nov 20, 2004

  3. thing

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:14:59 +1300, Gordon wrote:

    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:14:38 +1300, thing wrote:
    >
    >> Solaris powers the web sites of 43 members of the Fortune 100 in the
    >> U.S., compared to 32 companies using Windows and 12 running on Linux.
    >>
    >> http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/16/solaris_remains_top_choice_among_fortune_100.html
    >>

    > Ms Penguin reckons this is okay, she just wants to catch fish for dinner.

    Solaris is more similar to Linux than Windows, IMHO, so those that use
    Solaris would find switching to Linux and vice-versa possibly easier?
    -[Myth]-, Nov 20, 2004
  4. thing

    thing Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 17:14:59 +1300, Gordon wrote:
    >

    >>On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 09:14:38 +1300, thing wrote:
    >>

    >>>Solaris powers the web sites of 43 members of the Fortune 100 in the
    >>>U.S., compared to 32 companies using Windows and 12 running on Linux.
    >>>
    >>>http://news.netcraft.com/archives/2004/11/16/solaris_remains_top_choice_among_fortune_100.html
    >>>

    >>Ms Penguin reckons this is okay, she just wants to catch fish for dinner.

    > Solaris is more similar to Linux than Windows, IMHO, so those that use
    > Solaris would find switching to Linux and vice-versa possibly easier?

    I tought myself Linux and x86 Solaris, swapped into a Unix job from
    mechanical engineering, never looked back, have better hours, higher job
    security, way more job satisfaction and of course last but not least
    more $.

    Solaris is very similar to Linux and the swapping pretty easy. Other
    Unixes such as HP-UX, Tru64 and SCO are more different and need more
    effort, however even these (except SCO) are broadly similar, just take
    more time.

    When it comes to replacing the 43 Solaris top 100 sites, Windows v
    Linux's gains will be interesting.

    Windows is way differeent to Solaris. Windows has a Unix for windows
    plug in but its buggyunstable crap IMHO. If such a hybrid box is needed
    better to run vmware and 1 instance of each.

    From my limited dealings with SCO boxes its more like Windows than any
    other Unix.

    regards

    Thing