    Jay Lombardi Guest

    What is the latest version of FA ? I have 1.93.Is this it ?
    Thanks

    Jay Lombardi, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Jay Lombardi

    Evan Platt Guest

    I don't know. What happens when you go to http://www.forteinc.com ?

    Evan Platt, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Jay Lombardi

    wrote:

    >What is the latest version of FA ? I have 1.93.Is this it ?
    >Thanks

    I'm using version 4.0/32.1071

    That's the latest release version.

    http://www.easynn.com

    , Sep 20, 2006
  4. Jay Lombardi wrote:

    > What is the latest version of FA ? I have 1.93.Is this it ?

    If you have 1.93, you're not using it. Your header indicates:

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  5. Jay Lombardi

    Jay Lombardi Guest

    I know I'm not using it.I have 1.93 and was trying to find out if it
    is thel latest version before installing.

    Jay Lombardi, Sep 20, 2006
  6. Jay Lombardi

    sittingduck Guest

    Jay Lombardi wrote:

    > I know I'm not using it.I have 1.93 and was trying to find out if it
    > is thel latest version before installing.

    Most programs use numbers to indicate releases. The higher the number the
    newer the release.
    Most people put their reply UNDER (relevant) quoted text.

    sittingduck, Sep 20, 2006
  7. Jay Lombardi wrote:

    > On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:06:06 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Jay Lombardi wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the latest version of FA ? I have 1.93.Is this it ?

    >>If you have 1.93, you're not using it. Your header indicates:

    > I know I'm not using it.I have 1.93 and was trying to find out if it
    > is thel latest version before installing.

    Then I'm not sure I understand. You are already posting with 3.3/32.846,
    which is considerably newer than 1.93. So why would you ask "I have
    1.93.Is this it [the latest]?"

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 20, 2006
  8. Jay Lombardi

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:36:44 GMT, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:

    >Then I'm not sure I understand. You are already posting with 3.3/32.846,
    >which is considerably newer than 1.93. So why would you ask "I have
    >1.93.Is this it [the latest]?"

    In some countries, 3 comes before 1.

    Evan Platt, Sep 20, 2006
  9. Jay Lombardi

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Jay Lombardi.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    >>> What is the latest version of FA ? I have 1.93.Is this it ?

    >>If you have 1.93, you're not using it. Your header indicates:

    > I know I'm not using it.I have 1.93 and was trying to find out if it
    > is thel latest version before installing.

    So you're using v3.3, and have v1.93 and wonder if that's the latest?
    You're either trolling or totally stupid. For one I don't think you're
    *totally* stupid, though top posting is pushing the envelope a bit ;)

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Sep 20, 2006
  10. Jay Lombardi

    malc Guest

    "sittingduck" <> wrote in message
    > Jay Lombardi wrote:
    >
    >> I know I'm not using it.I have 1.93 and was trying to find out if it
    >> is thel latest version before installing.

    > Most programs use numbers to indicate releases. The higher the number the
    > newer the release.
    > Most people put their reply UNDER (relevant) quoted text.

    You better contact Microsoft then as Outlook/express defaults to reply on
    top of a message. I would rather have it that way and it saves reading all
    the way through again and again as each person posts. It also saves
    scrolling down on each message. Why would you need to read the whole
    message again and again on each reply before reading the reply if you read
    the original? Do you not follow what is posted too well?

    malc, Sep 21, 2006
  11. Jay Lombardi

    Jay Lombardi Guest

    On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 22:46:01 GMT, Ponder <>
    wrote:

    >Hiya Jay Lombardi.

    >>>If you have 1.93, you're not using it. Your header indicates:

    >> I know I'm not using it.I have 1.93 and was trying to find out if it
    >> is thel latest version before installing.

    > So you're using v3.3, and have v1.93 and wonder if that's the latest?
    >You're either trolling or totally stupid. For one I don't think you're
    >*totally* stupid, though top posting is pushing the envelope a bit ;)

    -
    After Googling

    Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.comIn a
    moment, you will be redirected to the latest version of Agent
    (32-bit). Please click here for Agent 1.93 if your browser does not
    automatically ...

    Forte Agent 3

    This latest version is a powerful but overly complex and hard-to-learn
    Usenet reader

    Jay Lombardi, Sep 21, 2006
  12. Jay Lombardi

    Frosty Guest

    I downloaded new messages from 24hoursupport.helpdesk on Thu, 21 Sep
    2006 00:55:35 +0100, and who should I see posting but "malc"
    <>! I could scarely believe "malc" <> would
    remark:

    <snip>

    >> Most people put their reply UNDER (relevant) quoted text.

    <snip>

    >I would rather have it that way and it saves reading all
    >the way through again and again as each person posts. It also saves
    >scrolling down on each message. Why would you need to read the whole
    >message again and again on each reply before reading the reply if you read
    >the original?

    <snip>

    A polite, and one would assume, not-lazy poster would judiciously
    'snip' out the oft repeated and no longer needed parts of the post
    thereby making it all the more readable.

    Top posting (and too much snipping) makes a post not only unreadable,
    but renders it unintelligible.

    Frosty

    --

    Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

    Frosty, Sep 21, 2006
  13. malc wrote:

    > "sittingduck" <> wrote:
    >> Most people put their reply UNDER (relevant) quoted text.

    > You better contact Microsoft then as Outlook/express defaults to reply
    > on top of a message.

    Microsoft has not removed usage of, nor prohibited you from pressing
    your PageDown and DownArrow keys. If you wish to continue to use that
    old program, perhaps you'd be interested in OE_Quotefix, which will help
    finish what Microsoft forgot.

    > I would rather have it that way

    When in Rome ...

    > and it saves reading all the way through again and again as each
    > person posts. It also saves scrolling down on each message. Why
    > would you need to read the whole message again and again on each
    > reply before reading the reply if you read the original? Do you not
    > follow what is posted too well?

    open the front cover and begin reading there?
    the back cover and end up at the front or do you
    chapter one or do you start somewhere near
    When reading a book, do you start at

    Usenet is not one-on-one email.

    If you top-post a reply to a message from several days ago, people will
    still need to scroll down to see what you are replying to, then scroll
    back up to read your response, because they will likely have forgotten
    the original points, or need to refresh their memory. Especially for
    someone who reads hundreds of posts every day.

    They would also need to figure out or guess at which points you are
    replying to, especially if the post is far along in a thread. Here's
    where good inline posting is valuable.

    Due to lack of trimming, TOFU was born.
    Text Oben Fullquote Unten (German)
    Text Over, Fullquote Under

    And, if you don't quote anything, due to the nature of Usenet
    propagation, the message you are replying to may not have made it to my
    news-server yet, so if there is no quote, I won't know why you are
    writing what you did.

    And of course, *inline posting* is most desirable. With judicious
    trimming.

    Top-posting was born when Microsoft Outlook Express decided it wanted to
    be a newsreader...

    This is a horse beaten by thousands of top posters for many many years.

    From Leonard Blaisdell:

    <algorithm>
    If you top post a reply, you will be corrected. Your question or comment
    will be drowned out with 'don't top post' replies. You will give a
    sanctimonious response. You will be corrected again. You will give a
    statement of your philosophy. You will be corrected again. You will
    learn, or you will leave.
    </algorithm>
    Another person top posts. GOTO: <algorithm>;

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 21, 2006
  14. Jay Lombardi

    sittingduck Guest

    malc wrote:

    > You better contact Microsoft then as Outlook/express defaults to reply
    > on top of a message. I would rather have it that way and it saves
    > reading all the way through again and again as each person posts. It
    > also saves scrolling down on each message. Why would you need to read
    > the whole message again and again on each reply before reading the reply
    > if you read the original? Do you not follow what is posted too well?

    I follow it better if people post properly. If you want to be lazy and top-
    post, go ahead. No one can force you to learn anything. Just don't think it's
    the right way to do things.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_posting

    sittingduck, Sep 21, 2006
  15. malc enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    > "sittingduck" <> wrote

    >> Most people put their reply UNDER (relevant) quoted text.

    > You better contact Microsoft then as Outlook/express defaults to reply
    > on
    > top of a message. I would rather have it that way and it saves
    > reading all

    You guess, placing the cursor above the quoted text is the default for
    most newsreaders, even under Linux and MacOS :)

    > the way through again and again as each person posts. It also saves
    > scrolling down on each message. Why would you need to read the whole
    > message again and again on each reply before reading the reply if you
    > read
    > the original? Do you not follow what is posted too well?

    In fact, it is intended that you as the reader and possible replyeer go
    through the text from top to bottom, snip out what's not interesting to
    you (news is not a "business document e-mail" where lawyers might
    complain about for snipping) and reply - best in the order one will
    read - to where you want to.
    Done that way, it will be no useless effort to "scroll down", since
    there isn't too much left - usenet news seldom carry complete novels :)
    You should as well snip text following your last remark/reply, and your
    newsreader will take care to take away signature lines if correctly
    separated by "-- " (two dashes and a whitespace).
    Unfortunately OE strips all whitespaces at EOL, even that on the sig
    delimiter - you will have to take a google at "OE quotefix" for
    salvage. Or use a real newsreader.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 21, 2006
  16. Jay Lombardi

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya sittingduck.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > Most people put their reply UNDER (relevant) quoted text.

    Most don't unfortunately. Only educated people do (unless they're
    trolling).

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Sep 21, 2006
  17. Jay Lombardi

    Ponder Guest

    Hiya Jay Lombardi.

    In <news:> you wrote:

    > After Googling
    > Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.comIn a
    > moment, you will be redirected to the latest version of Agent
    > (32-bit). Please click here for Agent 1.93 if your browser does not
    > automatically ...

    [Snip]

    So the official site for Agent isn't good enough for you?

    http://www.forteinc.com

    That will tell you what the latest version is, straight from the horse's
    mouth. Accept no substitutes.

    --
    PGP key ID - DSS:0x2661A952

    Ponder, Sep 21, 2006
  18. Jay Lombardi

    sittingduck Guest

    Ponder wrote:

    >> Most people put their reply UNDER (relevant) quoted text.

    > Most don't unfortunately. Only educated people do (unless they're
    > trolling).

    It depends on where you happen to be hanging out.... in some groups it's
    actually rare to see top posting. It would be interesting to know how many
    actually do go to the trouble to post properly across all text groups. I
    wonder if that statistic has ever been tracked.

    sittingduck, Sep 21, 2006
  19. Jay Lombardi

    sittingduck Guest

    Ponder wrote:

    > So the official site for Agent isn't good enough for you?
    > http://www.forteinc.com
    > That will tell you what the latest version is, straight from the horse's
    > mouth. Accept no substitutes.

    Except the possible exception of accepting this one: http://Xnews.newsguy.com

    :)

    sittingduck, Sep 21, 2006