    would only free up 10MB.

    What can I do to get this 2.3GB free'd?
    Brian
    Brian, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Brian wrote:

    > I use forte agent for my large binary downloads from usenet. I download
    > what I want, move it to my external hard drive for storage, then delete
    > the files out of the agent download folder.

    You should set your download folder outside the agent directory.

    > My problem is, the Data folder within the C:\program files\agent is
    > extremely large. It is currently 2.3GB. I have two 00000XXX.DAT files that
    > are over 800MB each, and one that is over 725MB.
    >
    > How can I reduce the size of the agent folder/these files? Are they simply
    > safe to delete? I tried compacting the databases in agent but it said it
    > would only free up 10MB.

    You have a lot of green(?) icons for saved downloads, and all are still in
    your database. Delete them from your newsreader, that will claim the
    database space (in your DAT files) as free but not clear it.
    Afterwards, you can "compact databases".
    However, there is additional space required for cleaning, and when you are
    already at 80 percent, it's rather late.
    If you delete the DAT files, you can also do so with the index files - and
    reload all of your newsgroups.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.6-0.rc3.1mdkpkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Jun 1, 2004

  3. On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:02:53 GMT, "Brian" <> wrote:

    >How can I reduce the size of the agent folder/these files? Are they simply
    >safe to delete? I tried compacting the databases in agent but it said it
    >would only free up 10MB.
    >
    >What can I do to get this 2.3GB free'd?

    Have you set expiration times for your subscribed groups? Do this
    (Groups | Default Properties) and then purge (Groups | Purge). Compact
    the database again and you should get a lot of space back.
    The Great Cornholio, Jun 1, 2004
  4. Brian

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:02:53 GMT, Brian wrote:

    >I use forte agent for my large binary downloads from usenet. I download what
    >I want, move it to my external hard drive for storage, then delete the files
    >out of the agent download folder.

    Read the Help, maybe even check in the NG
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent,
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

    >My problem is, the Data folder within the C:\program files\agent is
    >extremely large. It is currently 2.3GB. I have two 00000XXX.DAT files that
    >are over 800MB each, and one that is over 725MB.

    That's a long way to go the DATs can be 2 and 4GB each. The DATs are
    fixed size data files. If you download 800MB of attachments and delete
    the 800MB of attachments the DAT stays at 800MB until purged ,
    compacted, unsubscribed. This way the DAT file size doesn't change until
    you d/l the next 801MB, the it grows a bit.

    >How can I reduce the size of the agent folder/these files? Are they simply
    >safe to delete? I tried compacting the databases in agent but it said it

    Don't delete, (or carefully) they are linked with the group and other
    files. It's easier to unsubscribe, keeping the properties and then
    resubscribe.

    IIRC, see the many times then same question has been asked and answered.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent

    >would only free up 10MB.

    So did you do the compact anyway?

    >What can I do to get this 2.3GB free'd?

    Create folders, move existing posts into folders. If the attachments are
    smaller than the DAT file size this works. When there are no messages in
    the DATs and Agent is closed the sizes are reset.

    Save Attachments automatically, then move those to your storage area.
    Group Properties / Receiving Files / Save attachments automatically with
    the option After saving an attachment, remove it from the message.
    This keeps the file size down.

    What I like to do sometimes is create a copy of the Agent installation,
    rename the folder, edit the INI file for the new path. Continue using
    the original after deleting the attachments and compacting. This way I
    have

    live d/l working copy -> c:\agent\server\
    backup - d:\agent001\server\
    backup - d:\agent002\server\

    Me
    why?, Jun 1, 2004