    yet so, is theComcre anything I can do to fix it?

    My news server is news.comcast.giganews.com. Never had a problem when
    using comcast.net.news. but giganews has about three times as many groups.

    slowhands, Aug 7, 2004

  2. On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 14:00:27 -0500, slowhands
    <> wrote:

    >Using pc with Windows 2000 and Netscape 7.1 , When I try to get
    >messages on selected groups, I get error message: Error reported by
    >server: "480 Authentication required" I haven't had a reply from Agent
    >yet so, is theComcre anything I can do to fix it?
    >
    >My news server is news.comcast.giganews.com. Never had a problem when
    >using comcast.net.news. but giganews has about three times as many groups.

    Have you checked your Agent setup to make sure it has the correct
    login and password for your Giganews account?

    Shane Matthews, Aug 7, 2004

  3. slowhands

    slowhands Guest

    Yes. That was it. Missed it the first time because Agent 2.0 is a
    little different than my old Agent (1.xx something). Thanks

    slowhands, Aug 7, 2004
  4. slowhands

    Unk Guest

    wrote:

    >Using pc with Windows 2000 and Netscape 7.1 , When I try to get
    >messages on selected groups, I get error message: Error reported by
    >server: "480 Authentication required" I haven't had a reply from Agent
    >yet so, is theComcre anything I can do to fix it?
    >
    >My news server is news.comcast.giganews.com. Never had a problem when
    >using comcast.net.news. but giganews has about three times as many groups.

    Click "Options", "User and System Profile", "User" tab and check the box,
    "Login with a username and password", and fill-in that info for your
    Giganews account. Be aware that Comcast farmed out it's news service to
    Giganews and they (Giganews) limit you to 1 Gb/month. That includes headers.

    Unk, Aug 7, 2004
  5. slowhands wrote:

    > My news server is news.comcast.giganews.com. Never had a problem when
    > using comcast.net.news. but giganews has about three times as many groups.

    If you're using Giganews through Comcast, they should have provided
    you with a user name and password. Do you have these set up in Agent?
    --
    [tv]

    Good to the last supper

    Tattoo Vampire, Aug 7, 2004
  6. slowhands

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 14:00:27 -0500, slowhands <> wrote:

    >Using pc with Windows 2000 and Netscape 7.1 , When I try to get
    >messages on selected groups, I get error message: Error reported by
    >server: "480 Authentication required" I haven't had a reply from Agent
    >yet so, is theComcre anything I can do to fix it?

    No, theComcre can't fix it. You need to sign up and they will give you a
    user name and password.

    >My news server is news.comcast.giganews.com. Never had a problem when
    >using comcast.net.news. but giganews has about three times as many groups.

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Aug 8, 2004