    dump my deleted messages. Now I have 200mb left. There is nothing in teh
    recycle bin.

    what files can I delete from the agent DAT and COD folders?
    zeitgeist, Nov 30, 2005

  2. zeitgeist

    Noel Paton Guest

    ....and the OS is??

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    Noel Paton, Nov 30, 2005

  3. zeitgeist

    Kenny Guest

    Very common problem in Agent, I posted question about the same in
    Post question there and go through old posts.
    You need to set purging options more aggressively and removed saved
    attachments otherwise your DAT file will continue growing.
    A quick way of recovering the space is to delete the contents of DAT file,
    if you do this you will have to re-enter your serial and user name.

    --
    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Nov 30, 2005
  4. zeitgeist

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 01:48:49 -0800, zeitgeist wrote:

    Did this before,

    Besides checking Agent Help / Support / FAQ , read before posting -
    the newsgroup

    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
    via Google Groups
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent?

    >I have forte' agent 1.92
    >
    >I've gotten close to filling up my 40gb hard drive. I have about 3gb left.
    >I run the compress database routine and it says it can free up 1.3gb of
    >space. After 20 minutes of grinding away it says, hey, there's not enough
    >space to compress, I only have 250 mb left.

    Didn't it say how much space is needed?

    >I run some disk clean up routines, dump temp files, dump internet files, I
    >dump my deleted messages. Now I have 200mb left. There is nothing in teh
    >recycle bin.
    >
    >what files can I delete from the agent DAT and COD folders?

    None usually.

    What you can do is move the messages you want to keep into a folder,
    delete the other messages , so there are none. When you close Agent it
    deletes the DAT file. You can't move messages from a folder back to the
    newsgroup file.

    Otherwise move more data off the drive.

    Put in a new drive , move Agent to the new drive , make a couple of
    simple edits in the agent.ini file for the new location.

    One thing I did do once , very carefully as I had several multi GB files
    , edit agent.ini as per the helpfile to display the dat / groups
    filenames. I then moved the largest files to another drive, ran the
    compress and moved the files back, ran compress again for those, which
    worked.

    Me
    why?, Nov 30, 2005
  5. zeitgeist

    zeitgeist Guest

    XP

    zeitgeist, Nov 30, 2005
  6. zeitgeist

    old jon Guest

    "zeitgeist" <> wrote in message
    >I have forte' agent 1.92
    >
    > I've gotten close to filling up my 40gb hard drive. I have about 3gb
    > left.
    > I run the compress database routine and it says it can free up 1.3gb of
    > space. After 20 minutes of grinding away it says, hey, there's not
    > enough
    > space to compress, I only have 250 mb left.
    >
    > I run some disk clean up routines, dump temp files, dump internet files, I
    > dump my deleted messages. Now I have 200mb left. There is nothing in teh
    > recycle bin.
    >
    > what files can I delete from the agent DAT and COD folders?

    Have you cut back on the amount allowed for System Restore ?.
    old jon, Nov 30, 2005
  7. zeitgeist

    Trax Guest

    "zeitgeist" <> wrote:

    |>I have forte' agent 1.92
    |>
    |>I've gotten close to filling up my 40gb hard drive. I have about 3gb left.
    |>I run the compress database routine and it says it can free up 1.3gb of
    |>space. After 20 minutes of grinding away it says, hey, there's not enough
    |>space to compress, I only have 250 mb left.
    |>
    |>I run some disk clean up routines, dump temp files, dump internet files, I
    |>dump my deleted messages. Now I have 200mb left. There is nothing in teh
    |>recycle bin.
    |>
    |>what files can I delete from the agent DAT and COD folders?

    Open your Agent.ini file in a text editor and edit the
    [Debugging] section, change the ShowUID=0 to ShowUID=1

    Restart Agent after each group will now be displayed the DAT\IDX file
    numbers for that Group. If you need to delete any.

    --
    Take a break...
    http://games.briankass.com/
    Trax, Dec 1, 2005