Forte/Agent 4 running out of disk space

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by The Stone Crusher, Aug 10, 2009.

  1. I am running XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a 250GB HD + a 500GB
    external HD. I Have the internal 250GB HD partitioned into C:\34.5GB &
    E:\195GB. Right now there is 1.56GB free on C:\ & 104GB free on E:\. Drive
    I:\ has 215GB free. I recently enlarged C:\ to accomodate this problem.

    I have Forte/Agent 4 installed on E:\ Lately when I try to download large
    files (appx 1GB) I receive a msg that there is not enough room on the
    drive!!! The reference seems to be to C:\ When I look on drive C:\ >
    Documents and Settings > Luke > Applications Data > Forte > Agent. The
    Agent folder has 23.4GB of tmp, DAT, aab, INI, bak, IDX, ffs, htm & XML.
    One of the DAT files is over 8 GB!

    What can be deleted without a problem?

    Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?

    Is there something else I can do?

    Goodwill,

    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Aug 10, 2009

  2. The Stone Crusher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:49:43 -0400, "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    >I am running XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a 250GB HD + a 500GB
    >external HD. I Have the internal 250GB HD partitioned into C:\34.5GB &
    >E:\195GB. Right now there is 1.56GB free on C:\ & 104GB free on E:\. Drive
    >I:\ has 215GB free. I recently enlarged C:\ to accomodate this problem.

    1.56 gigs isn't a whole lot of free space. Is this your O/S drive?

    >I have Forte/Agent 4 installed on E:\ Lately when I try to download large
    >files (appx 1GB) I receive a msg that there is not enough room on the
    >drive!!!

    You might have better luck with say Grabit, or a program more geared
    for large binaries. I use Grabit for binaries, Agent for text....

    >The reference seems to be to C:\

    What reference is that?

    >When I look on drive C:\ >
    >Documents and Settings > Luke > Applications Data > Forte > Agent. The
    >Agent folder has 23.4GB of tmp, DAT, aab, INI, bak, IDX, ffs, htm & XML.
    >One of the DAT files is over 8 GB!

    That's where you configured Agent to store your data folders. You can
    change this under the group, hit Alt Enter, look at Atachments Folder.

    >What can be deleted without a problem?

    Whatever you don't need / want. Go through the groups you have, delete
    some old / large messages.

    >Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?

    You can reinstall Agent, and change the directory the data is stored
    in, but not sure how that would work. My guess is you'd have to move
    the directory manually. Never done it. You may have better luck in a
    Agent group.

    >Is there something else I can do?

    Free up some space on drive C.

    Evan Platt, Aug 10, 2009

  3. On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:49:43 -0400, "The Stone Crusher"
    <> wrote:

    (snip)

    >What can be deleted without a problem?
    >
    >Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?
    >
    >Is there something else I can do?

    Ask the experts in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
    or send a support request to Forte

    Steve

    Stephen Wolstenholme, Aug 11, 2009
  4. "philo" <> wrote in message
    > The Stone Crusher wrote:
    >> I am running XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a 250GB HD + a 500GB
    >> external HD. I Have the internal 250GB HD partitioned into C:\34.5GB &
    >> E:\195GB. Right now there is 1.56GB free on C:\ & 104GB free on E:\.
    >> Drive I:\ has 215GB free. I recently enlarged C:\ to accomodate this
    >> problem.
    >>

    >> I have Forte/Agent 4 installed on E:\ Lately when I try to download
    >> large files (appx 1GB) I receive a msg that there is not enough room on
    >> the drive!!! The reference seems to be to C:\ When I look on drive C:\
    >> > Documents and Settings > Luke > Applications Data > Forte > Agent. The

    >> Agent folder has 23.4GB of tmp, DAT, aab, INI, bak, IDX, ffs, htm & XML.
    >> One of the DAT files is over 8 GB!
    >>

    >> What can be deleted without a problem?
    >>
    >> Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?
    >>
    >> Is there something else I can do?
    >>

    >> Goodwill,
    >>
    >> Luke
    >>

    > First off you should not have made your C: drive so small

    I started with C: at 15GB and increased it continually.

    > if you want, there is a way to move your documents to the other drive....
    >
    > do not try to move it manually though
    >
    > right click and select "move"

    This sounds good. Hopefully you are referring to files that run.

    > also, have at look at System restore, by default it's set way bigger than
    > is sensible...
    > move it down to 1 gig or so

    I think this could be a big help. Thanks

    The Stone Crusher, Aug 11, 2009
  5. The Stone Crusher

    Keith Guest

    Keith, Aug 11, 2009
  6. "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:49:43 -0400, "The Stone Crusher"
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >>I am running XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a 250GB HD + a 500GB
    >>external HD. I Have the internal 250GB HD partitioned into C:\34.5GB &
    >>E:\195GB. Right now there is 1.56GB free on C:\ & 104GB free on E:\.
    >>Drive
    >>I:\ has 215GB free. I recently enlarged C:\ to accomodate this problem.
    >>

    >>I have Forte/Agent 4 installed on E:\ Lately when I try to download large
    >>files (appx 1GB) I receive a msg that there is not enough room on the
    >>drive!!! The reference seems to be to C:\ When I look on drive C:\ >
    >>Documents and Settings > Luke > Applications Data > Forte > Agent. The
    >>Agent folder has 23.4GB of tmp, DAT, aab, INI, bak, IDX, ffs, htm & XML.
    >>One of the DAT files is over 8 GB!
    >>

    >>What can be deleted without a problem?
    >>
    >>Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?
    >>
    >>Is there something else I can do?
    >>

    >>Goodwill,
    >>
    >>Luke
    >>

    > Go into Folder / Properties / Attachment Folders and make the default
    > attachment folder anywhere you like.

    It seems in the dim past I used this to send them to Drive I: and it has
    been working OK. If not I would have probably had more serious problems.

    You can also move the entire
    > Agent folder over to your large partition. Agent caches folder indexes
    > and they grow after awhile so you can also get a disk space message
    > from that.

    (I don't know how I would do that. If you look above the file is 'buried'.
    Would just cutting and pasting to someplace on E: solve the problem?)

    anyway

    Since I posted I continued my project. I found that the AGENT.INI file lets
    you designate where things
    can be 'stored'. The default is where agent.ini is located (which is
    described above). I copied the entire folder mentioned above to the Agent
    folder in Program Files on E:, renamed it Data and then renamed the
    Forte/Agent folders on C: It seems to be working and also a very simple
    cure.

    > Also go to File / Purge and Compact and compact your folders
    > regularly.

    Set

    Thanks,

    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Aug 11, 2009
  7. "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:49:43 -0400, "The Stone Crusher"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I am running XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Inspiron 1525 with a 250GB HD + a 500GB
    >>external HD. I Have the internal 250GB HD partitioned into C:\34.5GB &
    >>E:\195GB. Right now there is 1.56GB free on C:\ & 104GB free on E:\.
    >>Drive
    >>I:\ has 215GB free. I recently enlarged C:\ to accomodate this problem.

    > 1.56 gigs isn't a whole lot of free space. Is this your O/S drive?

    Yes, I have continually increased it from 15GB because of this problem.

    >>I have Forte/Agent 4 installed on E:\ Lately when I try to download large
    >>files (appx 1GB) I receive a msg that there is not enough room on the
    >>drive!!!

    > You might have better luck with say Grabit, or a program more geared
    > for large binaries. I use Grabit for binaries, Agent for text....

    I am downloading on a secure line that is not offered by Grabit. I use
    Grabit for other things.

    >>The reference seems to be to C:\

    > What reference is that?

    The fact that I am out of space.

    >>When I look on drive C:\ >
    >>Documents and Settings > Luke > Applications Data > Forte > Agent. The
    >>Agent folder has 23.4GB of tmp, DAT, aab, INI, bak, IDX, ffs, htm & XML.
    >>One of the DAT files is over 8 GB!

    > That's where you configured Agent to store your data folders. You can
    > change this under the group, hit Alt Enter, look at Atachments Folder.

    Since I posted I did that - I am working on it now. Hope it works

    >>What can be deleted without a problem?

    > Whatever you don't need / want. Go through the groups you have, delete
    > some old / large messages.

    I mean what of the tmp, DAT, etc files.

    >>Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?

    > You can reinstall Agent, and change the directory the data is stored
    > in, but not sure how that would work. My guess is you'd have to move
    > the directory manually. Never done it. You may have better luck in a
    > Agent group.

    Exactly! I found you had to open the agent.ini file and direct it so.

    >>Is there something else I can do?

    > Free up some space on drive C.

    I originally wanted to keep C: just for the operating system. Ouch! It has
    gone crazy. But I copied the entire "Agent" folder to E: and renamed it.
    Then I renamed the original folder on C: I changed the path in agent.ini
    and it seems to be working. Many thanks for your time and thoughts.
    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Aug 11, 2009
  8. "Stephen Wolstenholme" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:49:43 -0400, "The Stone Crusher"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >>
    >>What can be deleted without a problem?
    >>
    >>Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?
    >>
    >>Is there something else I can do?

    > Ask the experts in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
    > or send a support request to Forte

    Thanks for the suggestion. I looked through the FAQs with no luck. I think
    I have solved the problem. I will know soon since I moved the folder to E:
    and changed the path in agent.ini.

    Goodwill,
    Luke

    The Stone Crusher, Aug 11, 2009
  9. The Stone Crusher

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 09:27:00 -0400, Meat Plow <>
    wrote:

    >Nothing wrong with Agent 4/5 for binaries Evan.

    No, never said there was, just seems to be more easily configurable.
    The cache folder, extract folder, and download folder are very easily
    configurable. And it extracts and combines and decodes automatically.

    Evan Platt, Aug 11, 2009
  10. The Stone Crusher

    Evan Platt, Aug 11, 2009
  11. The Stone Crusher

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:19:17 -0400, The Stone Crusher wrote:

    >"Stephen Wolstenholme" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 17:49:43 -0400, "The Stone Crusher"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> (snip)
    >>>
    >>>What can be deleted without a problem?
    >>>
    >>>Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?
    >>>
    >>>Is there something else I can do?

    >> Ask the experts in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
    >> or send a support request to Forte

    >Thanks for the suggestion. I looked through the FAQs with no luck. I think

    It's covered in the FAQ.

    http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php
    Configuration and Setup section

    - How do I consolidate all my instances of Agent into one copy?
    - How do I Move Agent?
    - How do I run multiple instances of Agent 4.2?
    - How do I specify the directory for Agent's database?
    - I don't understand the settings in AGENT.INI. Where can I find an
    explanation of the settings?
    - Why does Agent forget all my settings each time I run it? (agent.ini
    is gone)
    - Why does Agent forget all my settings each time I run it? (Start In
    location wrong)
    - Why is Agent putting files in the wrong directory?

    >I have solved the problem. I will know soon since I moved the folder to E:
    >and changed the path in agent.ini.

    That's the one, copy files / folder to new location update paths in
    agent.ini. You can also edit the shortcut that starts agent to use the
    new locations.

    Agent Help , look for
    Using a Command Line Parameter
    or
    Command Line

    >Goodwill,
    >Luke
    >>
    >> Steve

    Me

    why?, Aug 11, 2009
  12. The Stone Crusher

    Guest

    "The Stone Crusher" <> wrote:

    >One of the DAT files is over 8 GB!

    >What can be deleted without a problem?
    >
    >Can this info be moved to E:\ or I:\?
    >
    >Is there something else I can do?

    My Agent is located on D:\ drive which is 3gigs in size, it's my
    "stuff partition" (used to be the restore partition <Grin>) - my
    operating systems are on drives C:\ and E:\ which I just drag a
    shortcut icon from D:\ to my Desktops. Using the group properties I
    have files/messages going to different places (mainly H:\ drive).

    My Agent data has been intact since version .98, I just copy Agent to
    another hard drive, edit the .INI file to show Agent where it's at and
    I'm off. Still got messages (I thought important) over 11years old - I
    do like Agent

    As mentioned use the purge and Compact functions. Each message deleted
    leaves a blank spot in the DAT file, Compact takes them out, by
    compacting the file (duh).

    (Me? I don't use the purge function, I like total control over my
    programs (and Agent allows that) I'll delete a message when I want it
    to go.

    The 8gig DAT file would be a message group your keeping a lot of files
    in (music?) you should know which one it is. Have Agent save the file
    after receiving it - It removes it from the DAT file (group
    Properties).

    The Messages will still be there, file info and where it was saved and
    if a file double clicked the file will run, but it's just a link,
    cause you told Agent to save it some place and to delete the data. My
    largest DAT file is 6 megs.

    There is an Agent Hack out there, I'm not going to look for it - but
    there is an entry you can add to the .INI file that when you look at
    the "group/folders (folders in Version 3-5) the .DAT file is shown
    after It's group name (or the INX file, one or the other) but it helps
    find what INX/DAT file belongs to what group.

    FWIW: I'm posting from 1.93 cause I don't like the folder idea, I do
    have Agent 5 installed, I was going to post from it just for this
    reply, but I would have to download 400000 messages: They start from
    3/10/2005 :) (charter.net)
    --

    No matter what...
    http://whybenormal.today.com/files/2009/04/no-matter-what.jpg