    forEmail (real for friends).
    Any help is appreciated
    Thanks
    MrMagoo, Feb 1, 2006

  2. MrMagoo

    Spuds Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:39:53 -0600, MrMagoo <> wrote:

    >I'm using Fort Agent 31 & I would like to have one
    > idenity (fake for spammers) for news groups then a seperate one
    >forEmail (real for friends).
    >Any help is appreciated
    >Thanks

    Download the just released Agent 3.2. Does exactly what you want.
    Spuds, Feb 2, 2006

  3. On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:57:37 -0500, Spuds wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:39:53 -0600, MrMagoo <> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm using Fort Agent 31 & I would like to have one
    >> idenity (fake for spammers) for news groups then a seperate one
    >>forEmail (real for friends).
    >>Any help is appreciated
    >>Thanks

    > Download the just released Agent 3.2. Does exactly what you want.

    I hope they put some thought into that -- when the first 3.x came out a
    few months ago, it got a pretty chilly reception over in
    news.software.readers, where the news client buffs and wizards hang out.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 2, 2006
  4. MrMagoo

    Spuds Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:36:58 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:57:37 -0500, Spuds wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:39:53 -0600, MrMagoo <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm using Fort Agent 31 & I would like to have one
    >>> idenity (fake for spammers) for news groups then a seperate one
    >>>forEmail (real for friends).
    >>>Any help is appreciated
    >>>Thanks

    >> Download the just released Agent 3.2. Does exactly what you want.

    >I hope they put some thought into that -- when the first 3.x came out a
    >few months ago, it got a pretty chilly reception over in
    >news.software.readers, where the news client buffs and wizards hang out.

    There's a lot of damp panties on this release, given the initial impressions
    in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.

    3.0 had a few glitches, but they were largely overcome in 3.1. I'm quite
    happy with the new release myself. Multiple personas, multiple email servers,
    two features users have been begging for forever.
    Spuds, Feb 2, 2006
  5. MrMagoo

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:51:13 -0500, Spuds wrote:

    >On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:36:58 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    >wrote:

    >>> Download the just released Agent 3.2. Does exactly what you want.

    >>I hope they put some thought into that -- when the first 3.x came out a
    >>few months ago, it got a pretty chilly reception over in
    >>news.software.readers, where the news client buffs and wizards hang out.

    Jumping into 3.x release when it came out was like WP 5.1 DOS (excellent
    app) to WP for Windows (horrible), a bad move.

    >There's a lot of damp panties on this release, given the initial impressions
    >in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.

    Time for another look maybe.

    >3.0 had a few glitches, but they were largely overcome in 3.1. I'm quite
    >happy with the new release myself. Multiple personas, multiple email servers,
    >two features users have been begging for forever.

    Dumped 3.0 right away, reverted back to v2.

    Away to do a d/l.

    Me
    why?, Feb 2, 2006
  6. On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:51:13 -0500, Spuds wrote:

    > On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:36:58 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 20:57:37 -0500, Spuds wrote:

    >>> Download the just released Agent 3.2. Does exactly what you want.

    >>I hope they put some thought into that -- when the first 3.x came out a
    >>few months ago, it got a pretty chilly reception over in
    >>news.software.readers, where the news client buffs and wizards hang out.

    > There's a lot of damp panties on this release, given the initial
    > impressions in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.
    >
    > 3.0 had a few glitches, but they were largely overcome in 3.1. I'm quite
    > happy with the new release myself. Multiple personas, multiple email
    > servers, two features users have been begging for forever.

    How many of those are available in Free Agent?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 2, 2006
  7. MrMagoo

    Spuds Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:10:28 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:51:13 -0500, Spuds wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:36:58 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    >>wrote:

    >>>I hope they put some thought into that -- when the first 3.x came out a
    >>>few months ago, it got a pretty chilly reception over in
    >>>news.software.readers, where the news client buffs and wizards hang out.

    >Jumping into 3.x release when it came out was like WP 5.1 DOS (excellent
    >app) to WP for Windows (horrible), a bad move.

    It had a few issues, but Forte generally does a pretty good job beta testing.
    The biggest problem that I noticed, were people's inability to grasp new
    concepts. The "desk" paradigm had a lot of people bitching. As well, a few
    things have been moved around, like the newsgroup listing.

    >>There's a lot of damp panties on this release, given the initial impressions
    >>in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.

    >Time for another look maybe.
    >
    >>3.0 had a few glitches, but they were largely overcome in 3.1. I'm quite
    >>happy with the new release myself. Multiple personas, multiple email servers,
    >>two features users have been begging for forever.

    >Dumped 3.0 right away, reverted back to v2.
    >
    >Away to do a d/l.

    Hope you like it. 2.0 was generally considered a ho-hum release.
    3.x fixed a lot of complaints. Agent now handles incomplete binaries, a bug
    which has been in every prior version. As well, you don't need a 3rd party
    app to reconnect on a dropped connection.
    If the concept of desks confuses you, check out the "Upgrading to Agent 3.2
    From Previous Versions of Agent" help section.
    Spuds, Feb 3, 2006
  8. MrMagoo

    Spuds Guest

    On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 11:15:58 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:51:13 -0500, Spuds wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:36:58 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I hope they put some thought into that -- when the first 3.x came out a
    >>>few months ago, it got a pretty chilly reception over in
    >>>news.software.readers, where the news client buffs and wizards hang out.

    >> There's a lot of damp panties on this release, given the initial
    >> impressions in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.
    >>
    >> 3.0 had a few glitches, but they were largely overcome in 3.1. I'm quite
    >> happy with the new release myself. Multiple personas, multiple email
    >> servers, two features users have been begging for forever.

    >How many of those are available in Free Agent?

    Not sure. I've been a registered user since 1.93.
    Spuds, Feb 3, 2006
  9. MrMagoo

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 08:55:09 -0500, Spuds wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:10:28 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 08:51:13 -0500, Spuds wrote:

    >>Jumping into 3.x release when it came out was like WP 5.1 DOS (excellent
    >>app) to WP for Windows (horrible), a bad move.

    >It had a few issues, but Forte generally does a pretty good job beta testing.
    >The biggest problem that I noticed, were people's inability to grasp new
    >concepts. The "desk" paradigm had a lot of people bitching. As well, a few
    >things have been moved around, like the newsgroup listing.

    That's a thing or 2, just like my WP example.

    >>>There's a lot of damp panties on this release, given the initial impressions
    >>>in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.

    >>Time for another look maybe.
    >>
    >>>3.0 had a few glitches, but they were largely overcome in 3.1. I'm quite
    >>>happy with the new release myself. Multiple personas, multiple email servers,
    >>>two features users have been begging for forever.

    >>Dumped 3.0 right away, reverted back to v2.
    >>
    >>Away to do a d/l.

    >Hope you like it. 2.0 was generally considered a ho-hum release.

    It may have been, but it was simple to u/g if you wanted the new feature
    support. Even then the basic I/F remained the same for the several 1.x
    through to v2 releases.

    >3.x fixed a lot of complaints. Agent now handles incomplete binaries, a bug
    >which has been in every prior version. As well, you don't need a 3rd party

    Good to know.

    One thing that does need checked , depending on the subject line of a
    binary d/l , where the [xx/yy] parts marker was Agent joined 50/50 parts
    for a files into a rar or left it as 50x50 bits that needed joined to
    make the rar.

    >app to reconnect on a dropped connection.
    >If the concept of desks confuses you, check out the "Upgrading to Agent 3.2
    >From Previous Versions of Agent" help section.

    It was more of the 'leap' from the comfortable look and feel :) , oddly
    enough I did start reading the u/g notes last night.

    Thanks
    Me
    why?, Feb 3, 2006
  10. MrMagoo

    Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >> 3.0 had a few glitches, but they were largely overcome in 3.1. I'm
    >> quite happy with the new release myself. Multiple personas,
    >> multiple email servers, two features users have been begging for
    >> forever.

    > How many of those are available in Free Agent?

    Free Agent doesn't do mail or filter news. The faq page shows icons for
    free vs agent http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

    ISTR there used to be a similar chart just about the features, but the
    faq works. They A & FA are the same download and it works as Agent free
    for 30d.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Feb 3, 2006
  11. On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:40:19 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >>> 3.0 had a few glitches, but they were largely overcome in 3.1. I'm
    >>> quite happy with the new release myself. Multiple personas, multiple
    >>> email servers, two features users have been begging for forever.

    >> How many of those are available in Free Agent?

    > Free Agent doesn't do mail or filter news. The faq page shows icons for

    It *still* doesn't filter? Good golly.

    > free vs agent http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

    No filtering. No custom headers, either, and no multiple servers. And
    still no control over sorting. And you can't sample headers; you can only
    download all or new. Ow. It's still very, very crippled.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 3, 2006
  12. MrMagoo

    Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:18:15 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 08:55:09 -0500, Spuds wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 19:10:28 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    >>wrote:

    >>>Jumping into 3.x release when it came out was like WP 5.1 DOS (excellent
    >>>app) to WP for Windows (horrible), a bad move.

    >>It had a few issues, but Forte generally does a pretty good job beta testing.
    >>The biggest problem that I noticed, were people's inability to grasp new
    >>concepts. The "desk" paradigm had a lot of people bitching. As well, a few
    >>things have been moved around, like the newsgroup listing.

    >That's a thing or 2, just like my WP example.

    >>>Time for another look maybe.

    >>>Dumped 3.0 right away, reverted back to v2.
    >>>
    >>>Away to do a d/l.

    >>Hope you like it. 2.0 was generally considered a ho-hum release.

    >It may have been, but it was simple to u/g if you wanted the new feature
    >support. Even then the basic I/F remained the same for the several 1.x
    >through to v2 releases.
    >
    >>3.x fixed a lot of complaints. Agent now handles incomplete binaries, a bug
    >>which has been in every prior version. As well, you don't need a 3rd party

    >Good to know.
    >
    >One thing that does need checked , depending on the subject line of a
    >binary d/l , where the [xx/yy] parts marker was Agent joined 50/50 parts
    >for a files into a rar or left it as 50x50 bits that needed joined to
    >make the rar.

    Not sure I understand, but FWIW, Agent seamlessly handles compiling all
    headers for a given message. For example, if a high-bitrate .mp3 has 30 parts
    to it, Agent will transparently join them into the resulting usable file. It
    does not concern itself with doing anything further with regards to large
    multipart RARs, ZIPs, etc. such as for movie DVDs and CD .iso files. OTOH, I
    don't care - I'd rather have that control myself.
    Prior to A3, if you tried to download an incomplete part of a multi-part
    binary (eg a movie), Agent trashed the whole message. It now keeps the
    incomplete, which makes a huge difference if there aren't a lot of PAR2 repair
    files available.

    >>app to reconnect on a dropped connection.
    >>If the concept of desks confuses you, check out the "Upgrading to Agent 3.2
    >>From Previous Versions of Agent" help section.

    >It was more of the 'leap' from the comfortable look and feel :) , oddly
    >enough I did start reading the u/g notes last night.

    Don't let it rattle you. I was a bit taken aback by the idea of desks and
    folders, but having used it for several months now, I wouldn't want to go back
    to the old way of doing things. It's a far better way of dealing with
    multiple servers, something A2 didn't handle.
    Spuds, Feb 4, 2006
  13. MrMagoo

    Spuds Guest

    On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:47:27 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    wrote:

    >>> How many of those are available in Free Agent?

    >> Free Agent doesn't do mail or filter news. The faq page shows icons for

    >It *still* doesn't filter? Good golly.
    >
    >> free vs agent http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

    >No filtering. No custom headers, either, and no multiple servers. And
    >still no control over sorting. And you can't sample headers; you can only
    >download all or new. Ow. It's still very, very crippled.

    Wow, hardly worth using the freebie.

    The reg'd version does all those things. While there is no auto-sort, you can
    drag & drop your subscribed group list. If you only monitor a couple dozen
    groups, it's not painful.
    Spuds, Feb 4, 2006
  14. On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:20:46 -0500, Spuds wrote:

    > On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:47:27 -0800, Blinky the Shark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:40:19 -0800, Mike Easter wrote:
    >>> free vs agent http://www.forteinc.com/agent/faq.php

    >>No filtering. No custom headers, either, and no multiple servers. And
    >>still no control over sorting. And you can't sample headers; you can
    >>only download all or new. Ow. It's still very, very crippled.

    > Wow, hardly worth using the freebie.

    That's always been my contention, looking at that versus fully featured
    real freeware that's popular and readily available.

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 4, 2006