    them film photography first!) Is there a easy formula for this? My niece
    says the teacher ran through it so quickly she does not understand how to do
    it. Thanks for any help

    Jim, Jan 25, 2004

  2. Jim

    Webrosita Guest

    >"Jim" wrote:

    >My niece is taking a Digital photography class. The teacher is trying to
    >teach the students how to figure out the f-stop without using a meter

    If I remember correctly it is called the Sunny 16 Rule and it used to be
    included in the print insert for all Kodak film. I did a Google search and came
    out with this url:

    http://www.camerareview.com/templates/sunny16.cfm

    Webrosita, Jan 25, 2004

  3. Jim

    KBob Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 12:53:00 GMT, "Jim" <> wrote:

    >My niece is taking a Digital photography class. The teacher is trying to
    >teach the students how to figure out the f-stop without using a meter. He is
    >giving them the lighting condition and the film ISO. (I know he is teaching
    >them film photography first!) Is there a easy formula for this? My niece
    >says the teacher ran through it so quickly she does not understand how to do
    >it. Thanks for any help

    She's better off if left to work this out for herself--otherwise, how
    will she learn this? In any case the basic formula is:

    Film sensitivity X Illuminance = Aperture X Exposure Time

    and for convenience these quantities are usually expressed in terms of
    their Log2 values (and choosing a suitable starting value). When this
    is done, the formula becomes:

    Exposure Value = Film Value + Brightness Value
    -or alternatively-
    Exposure Value = Aperture Value + Time Value

    where
    Exposure Value (EV) is 0 at T=1 sec, Aperture (f/#)=1, and ASA=3

    To simplify things the "Sunny 16" method can often be used, and I
    suspect the "lighting condition" you refer to may be covered by this.
    For example:

    Shutter setting = 1/ISO at f/16 for midday sun

    where "midday sun" might be assumed to be about 10,000 foot candles.
    Add a couple stops for shade, subtract a stop or two for sand or snow,
    and there you have it!

    KBob, Jan 25, 2004
  4. Jim

    JC Dill Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 14:41:16 GMT, KBob <> wrote:

    >To simplify things the "Sunny 16" method can often be used, and I
    >suspect the "lighting condition" you refer to may be covered by this.
    >For example:
    >
    > Shutter setting = 1/ISO at f/16 for midday sun
    >
    >where "midday sun" might be assumed to be about 10,000 foot candles.
    >Add a couple stops for shade, subtract a stop or two for sand or snow,
    >and there you have it!

    1/400 shutter with 400 iso at f16 = 1/400 shutter at 200 iso at f 11,
    = 1/400 shutter at 100 iso at f8, = 1/800 shutter at 100 iso at f 5.6?

    jc

    JC Dill, Feb 5, 2004