Formula for horror films

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by habshi, Aug 6, 2004.

  1. habshi

    habshi Guest

    The best horror flim is the Bollywood movie Raaz with Vipasha Basu.
    Although its a copy of a Hollywood movie , I have tried to watch the 90min original and failed from
    falling asleep . Raaz -180min - I have seen three times and enjoyed it more each time.
    Shows that even Bollywood copies are ten times better than the original. Its available with
    subtitles

    (es+u+cs+t)2+s+... = Horror
    - By Aditi Khanna

    London, Aug. 5: British mathematicians have worked out the formula for the perfect horror film: (es
    + u + cs+t) 2 + s + (tl + f) + (a + dr + fs) + sinx 1, which is the sum of a remote setting, a
    sinister score, a chase scene and a spattering of blood.

    Using the equation, the researchers have concluded that The Shining, the 1980 film starring a
    homicidal Jack Nicholson, is the ideal horror flick.

    The team, from King’s College London, headed by mathematician Anna Sigler and commissioned by Sky
    Movies, spent two weeks watching a selection of films in the horror canon, including The Exorcist,
    The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Silence of the Lambs.

    They decided that suspense comprised four essential categories: escalating music (es) the unknown
    (u), chase scenes (cs) and the sense of being trapped (t). Because suspense is considered one of the
    most important qualities in a frightening film, the equation is squared before shock (s) is added to
    the formula.

    The Shining, where the suspense is built up gradually with premonitions and flashbacks, is the
    perfect example of the formula applied. The research team also said that for a movie to be truly
    terrifying it had to be realistic.

    That is why the next part of the equation sees true life (tl) and fantasy (f) added together and
    divided by two (tl + f) / 2 to find a medium between a plot which is too unrealistic and too close
    to life. It also helps if there is a small number of characters (a) in an isolated setting (fs) with
    the lights off (dr), as in Alfred Hitchcock’s classic thriller Psycho.

    Stereotypical characters are a no-no, however, and there can be too much gore (sin x-1).

    "Steven Spielberg [in Jaws] reached the optimum level, perfectly allowing the viewer to see just
    enough blood to be scared of the great white shark, but not so much that it repulsed us," Ms Sigler
    said.
    habshi, Aug 6, 2004

  2. habshi

    trotsky Guest

    in article , habshi at wrote
    on 8/6/04 9:46 AM:

    > The best horror flim is the Bollywood movie Raaz with Vipasha Basu.
    > Although its a copy of a Hollywood movie , I have tried to watch the 90min
    > original and failed from
    > falling asleep . Raaz -180min - I have seen three times and enjoyed it more
    > each time.

    Since it's an Indian film do the musical numbers just add to the horror?
    trotsky, Aug 6, 2004

  3. habshi

    habshi Guest

    On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:29:23 GMT, trotsky <> wrote:
    >Since it's an Indian film do the musical numbers just add to the horror?<

    They provide a welcome break , before the horror resumes. I
    took two white friends to one showing without subtitles and they
    enjoyed it immensley . Would urge everyone to watch the dvd with
    English subtitles to see what Bollywood does best - movie making .
    habshi, Aug 7, 2004
  4. habshi

    Sammy Guest

    In article <BD391CD5.7696%>,
    trotsky <> wrote:

    > Since it's an Indian film do the musical numbers just add to the horror?

    Wow, the village idiot is back. Hey, comrade, I thought you were locked
    up in a psychiatric facility with your buddy maxipad for trying to
    impersonate a human being.
    Sammy, Aug 7, 2004
  5. habshi

    trotsky Guest

    in article , Sammy at lid
    wrote on 8/6/04 7:14 PM:

    > In article <BD391CD5.7696%>,
    > trotsky <> wrote:
    >
    >> Since it's an Indian film do the musical numbers just add to the horror?

    > Wow, the village idiot is back. Hey, comrade, I thought you were locked
    > up in a psychiatric facility with your buddy maxipad for trying to
    > impersonate a human being.

    "Sammy", you should do well here: there are anonyshits all over the place.
    trotsky, Aug 7, 2004
  6. habshi

    trotsky Guest

    in article , habshi at wrote
    on 8/6/04 7:13 PM:

    > On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 16:29:23 GMT, trotsky <> wrote:
    >> Since it's an Indian film do the musical numbers just add to the horror?<

    > They provide a welcome break , before the horror resumes. I
    > took two white friends to one showing without subtitles and they
    > enjoyed it immensley . Would urge everyone to watch the dvd with
    > English subtitles to see what Bollywood does best - movie making .

    I would actually like to see a Hindi horror film. The songs sound like
    they'd be a distraction though.
    trotsky, Aug 7, 2004
  7. "Sammy" <> wrote in message
    > In article <BD391CD5.7696%>,
    > trotsky <> wrote:
    >
    > > Since it's an Indian film do the musical numbers just add to the horror?

    > Wow, the village idiot is back. Hey, comrade, I thought you were locked
    > up in a psychiatric facility with your buddy maxipad for trying to
    > impersonate a human being.

    Yeah, they didn't have a room big enough for him to fit in.

    lol
    instagator113.57, Aug 7, 2004