    extension that would do this?

    TIA,
    Markus

    Markus, Oct 22, 2004

  2. Markus

    Ranjit Guest

    Markus wrote:
    > With Outlook, the default format for recieving mail seems to be html.
    > But if you get a letter with those horrid blue lines down the left side
    > of it you can simply select format->plain text and it will convert the
    > aol romper room styled letter into something that looks like an actual
    > email. Is there any way to do this with Thunderbird? Or is there an
    > extension that would do this?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Markus

    View -> Message Body As

    Ranjit, Oct 22, 2004

  3. Markus

    Markus Guest

    Ranjit wrote:
    > Markus wrote:
    >
    >> With Outlook, the default format for recieving mail seems to be html.
    >> But if you get a letter with those horrid blue lines down the left
    >> side of it you can simply select format->plain text and it will
    >> convert the aol romper room styled letter into something that looks
    >> like an actual email. Is there any way to do this with Thunderbird?
    >> Or is there an extension that would do this?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Markus

    > View -> Message Body As

    Thanks Ranjit, however, I didn't quite express myself correctly. When I
    reply to an email I, in most case, like to work with plain text. I can
    use your suggested View ->'Message Body As' option to read the email,
    but as soon as I select reply the blue lines reappear in the subsequent
    edit window, and the option to view the 'message body as' goes away?

    So I ask again, anyway to set this thunderbird thing up to convert those
    blue line letters (ones that seem to come from yahoo or aol folks) to
    plain text? And have em stay that way?

    TIA,
    -Markus

    Markus, Oct 22, 2004
  4. Markus

    Ranjit Guest

    Markus wrote:
    > Ranjit wrote:
    >
    >> Markus wrote:
    >>
    >>> With Outlook, the default format for recieving mail seems to be html.
    >>> But if you get a letter with those horrid blue lines down the left
    >>> side of it you can simply select format->plain text and it will
    >>> convert the aol romper room styled letter into something that looks
    >>> like an actual email. Is there any way to do this with Thunderbird?
    >>> Or is there an extension that would do this?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Markus

    >> View -> Message Body As

    > Thanks Ranjit, however, I didn't quite express myself correctly. When I
    > reply to an email I, in most case, like to work with plain text. I can
    > use your suggested View ->'Message Body As' option to read the email,
    > but as soon as I select reply the blue lines reappear in the subsequent
    > edit window, and the option to view the 'message body as' goes away?
    >
    > So I ask again, anyway to set this thunderbird thing up to convert those
    > blue line letters (ones that seem to come from yahoo or aol folks) to
    > plain text? And have em stay that way?
    >
    > TIA,
    > -Markus

    Markus,

    If you want *all* your outgoing messages to be plain text, try the
    following.

    tools -> Account Settings -> <your mail account> -> Composing and Addressing
    Uncheck "Compose message in HTML format".

    This is for composing only, so to view the msgs as plain text you will
    still have to use the previous method.

    Hope that helps.

    Ranjit, Oct 22, 2004
  5. Ranjit wrote:
    > Markus wrote:
    >
    >> Ranjit wrote:

    >>> View -> Message Body As

    >> Thanks Ranjit, however, I didn't quite express myself correctly. When
    >> I reply to an email I, in most case, like to work with plain text. I
    >> can use your suggested View ->'Message Body As' option to read the
    >> email, but as soon as I select reply the blue lines reappear in the
    >> subsequent edit window, and the option to view the 'message body as'
    >> goes away?
    >>
    >> So I ask again, anyway to set this thunderbird thing up to convert
    >> those blue line letters (ones that seem to come from yahoo or aol
    >> folks) to plain text? And have em stay that way?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> -Markus

    > Markus,
    >
    > If you want *all* your outgoing messages to be plain text, try the
    > following.
    >
    > tools -> Account Settings -> <your mail account> -> Composing and
    > Addressing
    > Uncheck "Compose message in HTML format".
    >
    > This is for composing only, so to view the msgs as plain text you will
    > still have to use the previous method.
    >
    > Hope that helps.

    Also, if you prefer to compose in plain text, but need to send an
    occasional html message, set the account as Ranjit describes. Then hold
    the Shift key while clicking Compose. You will get an HTML compose
    wdowwwww. If you are set to compose in HTML by defaul, holdig the
    Shift key will give you a Plain Text window.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 22, 2004
  6. Markus

    Markus Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Ranjit wrote:

    > Also, if you prefer to compose in plain text, but need to send an
    > occasional html message, set the account as Ranjit describes. Then hold
    > the Shift key while clicking Compose. You will get an HTML compose
    > wdowwwww. If you are set to compose in HTML by defaul, holdig the
    > Shift key will give you a Plain Text window.
    >
    > Lee

    Lee and Ranjit, thank you so much for taking the time to respond, your
    directions were right on target. This is my first time using Mozilla in
    windows and it is really nice. Cool beans, IE, gone, Outlook, gone.
    Word? Well, Abi-word, as something you can get for free is pure t
    awesome, but has a ways to go yet (maybe I'll get off my dead ass
    someday, learn some real codin' and contribute ;-).

    Thanks all.
    -Markus

    Markus, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Markus

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Markus wrote:
    > With Outlook, the default format for recieving mail seems to be html.
    > But if you get a letter with those horrid blue lines down the left side
    > of it you can simply select format->plain text and it will convert the
    > aol romper room styled letter into something that looks like an actual
    > email. Is there any way to do this with Thunderbird? Or is there an
    > extension that would do this?

    This question was asked (and answered) a few weeks ago. I saved the
    answer at the time, but haven't got round to trying it yet.

    Anyway, the answer was:
    <URL:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=588836>

    Danny Colyer, Oct 22, 2004
  8. Markus

    Markus Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:

    > Markus wrote:
    >
    >> With Outlook, the default format for recieving mail seems to be html.

    [snip]

    > This question was asked (and answered) a few weeks ago. I saved the
    > answer at the time, but haven't got round to trying it yet.
    >
    > Anyway, the answer was:
    > <URL:http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=588836>

    Thanks Danny. Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but the problem with
    ..js scripts (for me anyway) is one, I hardly ever seem to be able to
    make em work with any consistency. Two; I like that shift feature that
    Lee pointed out to us. Kinda leaves open the option, er, a quick option
    anyway to use html in a letter (for some reason).

    I do appreciate the reasponse however,
    Thanks again,
    Markus

    Markus, Oct 22, 2004
  9. Markus

    Markus Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Markus wrote:

    >> gone. Word? Well, Abi-word, as something you can get for free is pure [snip]

    > Have you looked at Open Office?
    >
    > openoffice.org
    >
    > Lee

    Isn't abi-word part of the open office suite?

    -Markus

    Markus, Oct 22, 2004

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 23, 2004
  11. Markus wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Markus wrote:

    >>> gone. Word? Well, Abi-word, as something you can get for free is
    >>> pure [snip]

    >> Have you looked at Open Office?
    >>
    >> openoffice.org
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Isn't abi-word part of the open office suite?
    >
    > -Markus

    So far as I know, its a separate project, at sourceforge, while Oo_O is
    independent. Having never used Abi-Word, I don't really know. I do use
    Oo_O and haven't missed Word, Excel, or Powerpoint one little bit.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 23, 2004
  12. Markus

    Galen Guest

    Markus wrote:
    > With Outlook, the default format for recieving mail seems to be html.
    > But if you get a letter with those horrid blue lines down the left side
    > of it you can simply select format->plain text and it will convert the
    > aol romper room styled letter into something that looks like an actual
    > email. Is there any way to do this with Thunderbird? Or is there an
    > extension that would do this?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Markus

    "Quote Colors" extension will do it. Untick "Enable graphical Quoting in
    plain text" and you've got rid of those ridiculous bars.

    --
    Regards,

    Bob

    Remove "x" from address to reply by email.

    Galen, Oct 23, 2004
  13. Galen wrote:

    > Markus wrote:
    >
    >> With Outlook, the default format for recieving mail seems to be html.
    >> But if you get a letter with those horrid blue lines down the left
    >> side of it you can simply select format->plain text and it will
    >> convert the aol romper room styled letter into something that looks
    >> like an actual email. Is there any way to do this with Thunderbird?
    >> Or is there an extension that would do this?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> Markus

    > "Quote Colors" extension will do it. Untick "Enable graphical Quoting in
    > plain text" and you've got rid of those ridiculous bars.

    Ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder. It took a little getting used
    to, but now I find the colored bars make it much easier to follow the
    quotes from attribution lines, particularly when multiple quotes are
    involved.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Oct 23, 2004
  14. Markus

    Ranjit Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Galen wrote:
    >

    >> Markus wrote:
    >>
    >>> With Outlook, the default format for recieving mail seems to be html.
    >>> But if you get a letter with those horrid blue lines down the left
    >>> side of it you can simply select format->plain text and it will
    >>> convert the aol romper room styled letter into something that looks
    >>> like an actual email. Is there any way to do this with Thunderbird?
    >>> Or is there an extension that would do this?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> Markus

    >> "Quote Colors" extension will do it. Untick "Enable graphical Quoting
    >> in plain text" and you've got rid of those ridiculous bars.
    >>

    > Ridiculous is in the eye of the beholder. It took a little getting used
    > to, but now I find the colored bars make it much easier to follow the
    > quotes from attribution lines, particularly when multiple quotes are
    > involved.
    >
    > Lee

    I would agree to Leonidas on this one, it is much easier to follow a
    long discussion thread now, especially when people reply inline (and
    then inline to the inline :) ).

    Ranjit

    Ranjit, Oct 23, 2004