Formatting Problems

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by alianzista84, Dec 20, 2004.

  1. alianzista84

    alianzista84 Guest

    1.
    When I try to run the Windows XP CD to boot from startup, it neve
    does. Its as if the machine refuses to boot from the CD. I've trie
    messing around with the BIOS to make the CD the first loaded device
    but so far has not worked. Any way to get it to boot as soon as th
    CPU is turned on?

    2.
    I only have 1 partition on my C drive, when I try to format tha
    partition it tells me that I cannot delete that partition becaus
    necessary setup files are on there to continue installing windows....s
    I'm not quite sure how to go about formatting if it won't let me delet
    that partition. I've tried to create a new partition but windows hel
    is useless and i couldn't find any good information online. Do I nee
    to create a new partition in order to format the old one or is there
    way around this?

    I wish I had a boot disk so I could just type c: format and save mysel
    a lot of effort. Any Help would be greatly appreciated

    --
    alianzista8
    alianzista84's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=702
    alianzista84, Dec 20, 2004

  2. alianzista84

    Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 00:41:18 -0500, alianzista84
    <> wrote:

    |> 1.
    |> When I try to run the Windows XP CD to boot from startup, it never
    |> does. Its as if the machine refuses to boot from the CD. I've tried
    |> messing around with the BIOS to make the CD the first loaded device,
    |> but so far has not worked. Any way to get it to boot as soon as the
    |> CPU is turned on?
    |>
    |> 2.
    |> I only have 1 partition on my C drive, when I try to format that
    |> partition it tells me that I cannot delete that partition because
    |> necessary setup files are on there to continue installing windows....so
    |> I'm not quite sure how to go about formatting if it won't let me delete
    |> that partition. I've tried to create a new partition but windows help
    |> is useless and i couldn't find any good information online. Do I need
    |> to create a new partition in order to format the old one or is there a
    |> way around this?
    |>
    |> I wish I had a boot disk so I could just type c: format and save myself
    |> a lot of effort. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

    Download a Win98 boot disk from bootdisk.com, format and or partition
    your hard drive, install the system files- sys A: C: , copy the
    directory I386 and file setup.exe from the XP CD to your hard drive.

    Boot from the hard drive and type setup, XP will begin installation
    without the CD.

    NOTE: You need the Win98 boot disk that creates a ram drive so your CD
    is loaded.

    --
    , Dec 20, 2004

  3. alianzista84

    <> wrote:

    |> 1.
    |> When I try to run the Windows XP CD to boot from startup, it never
    |> does. Its as if the machine refuses to boot from the CD. I've tried
    |> messing around with the BIOS to make the CD the first loaded device,
    |> but so far has not worked. Any way to get it to boot as soon as the
    |> CPU is turned on?
    |>
    |> 2.
    |> I only have 1 partition on my C drive, when I try to format that
    |> partition it tells me that I cannot delete that partition because
    |> necessary setup files are on there to continue installing windows....so
    |> I'm not quite sure how to go about formatting if it won't let me delete
    |> that partition. I've tried to create a new partition but windows help
    |> is useless and i couldn't find any good information online. Do I need
    |> to create a new partition in order to format the old one or is there a
    |> way around this?
    |>
    |> I wish I had a boot disk so I could just type c: format and save myself
    |> a lot of effort. Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

    Download a Win98 boot disk from bootdisk.com, format and or partition
    your hard drive, install the system files- sys A: C: , copy the
    directory I386 and file setup.exe from the XP CD to your hard drive.

    Copy <your CD>setup.exe <your hard drive>
    Xcopy /H /E <your CD>I386 <your hard drive>

    Boot from the hard drive and type setup, XP will begin installation
    without the CD.

    NOTE: You need the Win98 boot disk that creates a ram drive so your CD
    is loaded.

    --
    , Dec 20, 2004
  4. alianzista84

    alianzista84 Guest

    alianzista84, Dec 21, 2004
  5. alianzista84

    F1 Guest

    alianzista84 Wrote:
    > Hey Pennywise,
    >
    > Do I need windows 98 to create a boot disk? I've never used a boo
    > disk to format a hard drive before, only a CD, does it basically wor
    > the same way or do I have to go through DOS?
    >
    > Thanks

    No, you don't need Win98 to create a bootdisk; you will be goin
    through DOS as that's the format for the bootdisk

    F1's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=128
    View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=33271
    F1, Dec 21, 2004
  6. alianzista84

    Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 13:08:37 -0500, alianzista84
    <> wrote:

    |> Hey Pennywise,
    |>
    |> Do I need windows 98 to create a boot disk? I've never used a boot
    |> disk to format a hard drive before, only a CD, does it basically work
    |> the same way or do I have to go through DOS?

    No go to bootdisk.com and download the Win98 boot disk
    or double click on this:
    http://ephemeral-designs.com/downloads/boot98se.exe

    Make a the boot disk, boot up with it (change your bios to read A:
    first) then format if you need or just use the xcopy (also on the boot
    disk) to copy your CD to the disk drive ( a separate partition from your
    XP drive would be best but not crucial)

    --
    , Dec 22, 2004
  7. alianzista84

    alianzista84 Guest

    OK, I've never had this much trouble before with a computer, and it
    really frustrating...here goes...

    I did what you said and got a win 98 boot disk and formatted the har
    drive successfully. The xcopy command does not work for me, so I trie
    running the regular copy command for all the files(is there
    significant difference in the commands?) Once all the files wer
    copied I tried running setup.exe. It said that "this command cannot b
    run in DOS" or something like that. So I looked up alternatives and o
    the windows support page it told me to run winnt.exe. So I tried tha
    and it first starts out by telling me to enable smartdrive to mak
    installation easier, which I have no idea how to do, but it sai
    somewhere online that smartdrv.exe should get it working....of cours
    this did not work. So I skipped that and then setup started namin
    files that it could not copy(for God knows what reason). Then it get
    to a point where it says windows is copying files, but nothing seems t
    be happening (the green light on the cd is not blinking, its jus
    constanly green as if the computer has frozen). Once I restart at thi
    point I get the option to continue upgrading or going to the DOS prompt
    If I try to continue upgrading it tells me it can't find files an
    setup cannot continue.

    I also tried to run winnt.exe straight from the CD, and while thi
    seems to work I get to a screen where it says "Setyo cannot find en
    user licensing agreement(EULA)".

    I'm starting to run out of ideas as of what to do. I even tried usin
    XP boot disks, but those don't even work right as once I have to put i
    the 2nd or 3rd disk it gives me some error.

    PLEASE HELP

    alianzista84, Dec 24, 2004
  8. alianzista84

    Guest

    On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 14:49:48 -0500, alianzista84
    <> wrote:

    |> OK, I've never had this much trouble before with a computer, and its
    |> really frustrating...here goes...
    |>
    |> I did what you said and got a win 98 boot disk and formatted the hard
    |> drive successfully. The xcopy command does not work for me, so I tried
    |> running the regular copy command for all the files(is there a
    |> significant difference in the commands?)

    Xcopy spans directories
    Copy will only copy the root files of a directory

    If you ran copy your missing quite a bit.

    Type in Xcopy /? for list of options.

    |> Once all the files were
    |> copied I tried running setup.exe. It said that "this command cannot be
    |> run in DOS" or something like that. So I looked up alternatives and on
    |> the windows support page it told me to run winnt.exe. So I tried that
    |> and it first starts out by telling me to enable smartdrive to make
    |> installation easier, which I have no idea how to do, but it said
    |> somewhere online that smartdrv.exe should get it working....of course
    |> this did not work.
    |>So I skipped that and then setup started naming
    |> files that it could not copy(for God knows what reason). Then it gets
    |> to a point where it says windows is copying files, but nothing seems to
    |> be happening (the green light on the cd is not blinking, its just
    |> constanly green as if the computer has frozen).

    Smartdrv is a disk caching scheme, if your ran winnt without smartdrv
    you might want to let it run over night as it will take quite a while.

    |> Once I restart at this
    |> point I get the option to continue upgrading or going to the DOS prompt.
    |> If I try to continue upgrading it tells me it can't find files and
    |> setup cannot continue.

    Again if you used copy your missing a lot of files

    |> I also tried to run winnt.exe straight from the CD, and while this
    |> seems to work I get to a screen where it says "Setyo cannot find end
    |> user licensing agreement(EULA)".

    Don't know what this is about it should of found it

    --
    , Dec 25, 2004