Formatting on drive wiped out when testing another drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by docsavage20@yahoo.com, May 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    the cable see what if anything was on them.

    Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
    (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
    it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.

    I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
    still giving me the same response.

    What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
    the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
    huge pain to restore.

    Using WinXP Home SP 2.

    Thanks

    , May 25, 2006

  2. Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage wrote:
    > I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    > course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    > the cable see what if anything was on them.

    > Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    > same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
    > (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
    > it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.

    > I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
    > still giving me the same response.

    > What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
    > the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
    > huge pain to restore.

    > Using WinXP Home SP 2.

    Very strange. Just a thought: Maybe some of the drives you tested damaged
    the IDE controller. You should test this HDD in another system or on
    the other IDE channel, before you do anything drastic.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, May 25, 2006

  3. Mike T. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    > course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    > the cable see what if anything was on them.
    >
    > Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    > same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
    > (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
    > it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
    >
    > I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
    > still giving me the same response.
    >
    > What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
    > the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
    > huge pain to restore.
    >
    > Using WinXP Home SP 2.
    >
    > Thanks

    Oh boy. Ummmm . . . when swapping physical hard drives around, the logical
    (virtual) drives get swapped around by Windows. So you've got to be careful
    in moving files around, formatting, etc., that you know which PHYSICAL drive
    you are working with. It's possible that you have accidentally formatted a
    physical drive that you didn't want to format, as it temporarily had a
    logical drive letter assigned to it that you THOUGHT was assigned to a
    physical drive that you did want to format. -DAve

    Mike T., May 25, 2006
  4. JAD Guest

    "Mike T." <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > >I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    > > course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    > > the cable see what if anything was on them.
    > >
    > > Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    > > same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
    > > (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
    > > it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
    > >
    > > I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
    > > still giving me the same response.
    > >
    > > What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
    > > the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
    > > huge pain to restore.
    > >
    > > Using WinXP Home SP 2.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > Oh boy. Ummmm . . . when swapping physical hard drives around, the

    logical
    > (virtual) drives get swapped around by Windows. So you've got to be

    careful
    > in moving files around, formatting, etc., that you know which PHYSICAL

    drive
    > you are working with. It's possible that you have accidentally formatted

    > physical drive that you didn't want to format, as it temporarily had a
    > logical drive letter assigned to it that you THOUGHT was assigned to a
    > physical drive that you did want to format. -DAve

    Yep as soon as you mentioned determining which to format by drive LETTER you
    were in deep poop.

    JAD, May 25, 2006
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    > course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    > the cable see what if anything was on them.
    >
    > Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    > same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
    > (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
    > it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.

    Since posting this I discovered and tried the demo of Get Data Back and
    the files are still there but the system isn't letting me access them
    normally. I'm just wondering if there's a way around popping for the
    $80 so I can save the files to another drive.

    Thanks for all input.

    , May 25, 2006
  6. why? Guest

    On 25 May 2006 09:07:00 -0700, wrote:

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
    alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

    > wrote:
    >> I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    >> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    >> the cable see what if anything was on them.
    >>
    >> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    >> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
    >> (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
    >> it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.

    >Since posting this I discovered and tried the demo of Get Data Back and
    >the files are still there but the system isn't letting me access them
    >normally. I'm just wondering if there's a way around popping for the
    >$80 so I can save the files to another drive.

    Go fo it, if you buy the key and register it while in demo mode viewing
    the files to recover it works right away. Just remember you need enough
    space on another safe partition to recover to.

    There are several other similar apps mention in previous posts in
    24HSHD.

    One recent and IIRC free
    http://www.pcinspector.de/

    >Thanks for all input.

    Me

    why?, May 25, 2006
  7. Guest

    wrote:

    |>Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    |>same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
    |>(had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
    |>it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
    |>
    |>I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
    |>still giving me the same response.
    |>
    |>What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
    |>the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
    |>huge pain to restore.

    Not sure if this helps but, if the second HD has an active partition
    it will show as D drive no matter how many partitions you have on the
    first HD.

    --
    http://www.thekitchenoflove.com/kitchen/index.asp

    , May 25, 2006
  8. Rod Speed Guest

    Mike T. <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    >> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    >> the cable see what if anything was on them.
    >>
    >> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    >> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't
    >> formatted (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want
    >> to format it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
    >>
    >> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but
    >> it's still giving me the same response.
    >>
    >> What could have caused this and do you see any way around
    >> reformatting the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial
    >> will still be a huge pain to restore.
    >>
    >> Using WinXP Home SP 2.

    > Oh boy. Ummmm . . . when swapping physical hard drives around, the logical (virtual)
    > drives get swapped around by Windows.

    No they dont with the NT/2K/XP family.

    > So you've got to be careful in moving files around, formatting, etc., that you know
    > which PHYSICAL drive you are working with. It's possible that you have accidentally
    > formatted a physical drive that you didn't want to format, as it temporarily had a
    > logical drive letter assigned to it that you THOUGHT was assigned to a physical drive
    > that you did want to format.

    If that is what happened, you wouldnt expect XP to be asking
    if it should be formatted since its already been formatted.

    Rod Speed, May 25, 2006
  9. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    >>> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't
    >>> formatted (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I
    >>> want to format it. Apparently all the files on it are now
    >>> inaccesible.
    >>>
    >>> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but
    >>> it's still giving me the same response.
    >>>
    >>> What could have caused this and do you see any way around
    >>> reformatting the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial
    >>> will still be a huge pain to restore.

    > Not sure if this helps but, if the second HD has an active partition
    > it will show as D drive no matter how many partitions you have on the
    > first HD.

    Not with the NT/2K/XP family.

    Rod Speed, May 25, 2006
  10. ian field Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    > course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    > the cable see what if anything was on them.
    >
    > Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    > same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't formatted
    > (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want to format
    > it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
    >
    > I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but it's
    > still giving me the same response.
    >
    > What could have caused this and do you see any way around reformatting
    > the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial will still be a
    > huge pain to restore.
    >
    > Using WinXP Home SP 2.
    >
    > Thanks

    Maybe you forgot to check the Master/Slave jumper - if both drives on the
    same cable have the same jumper assignment, the 2 drives talk to each other
    instead of the controller - they usually end up getting into an argument and
    tear up each others part-table!!!

    ian field, May 25, 2006
  11. Rod Speed Guest

    ian field <> wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I wanted to test some older small h/d's and (after powering down of
    >> course) I detached one of my dvd drives and attached these drives to
    >> the cable see what if anything was on them.
    >>
    >> Now, I find that the system is telling me my "D" drive that's on the
    >> same cable as the one I was using to test these drives isn't
    >> formatted (had been formatted as NTSF) and keeps asking me if I want
    >> to format it. Apparently all the files on it are now inaccesible.
    >>
    >> I tried restoring the system to a previous day's configuration but
    >> it's still giving me the same response.
    >>
    >> What could have caused this and do you see any way around
    >> reformatting the drive? The files on it while not utterly crucial
    >> will still be a huge pain to restore.
    >>
    >> Using WinXP Home SP 2.

    > Maybe you forgot to check the Master/Slave jumper - if both drives on the same cable
    > have the same jumper assignment, the 2 drives talk to each other instead of the
    > controller -

    No they dont.

    > they usually end up getting into an argument and tear up each others part-table!!!

    You can certainly get the partition table
    corrupted that way, but not for that reason.

    Rod Speed, May 25, 2006
  12. Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> Not sure if this helps but, if the second HD has an active partition
    |>> it will show as D drive no matter how many partitions you have on the
    |>> first HD.

    |>Not with the NT/2K/XP family.

    Nothing special about those OS's - you stick a second drive in with an
    active partition and it's going to be D: drive (of course you can
    change it in the diskmanager - but it will be D drive)

  13. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote:

    >>> Not with the NT/2K/XP family.

    > Nothing special about those OS's

    Wrong, they allocate drive letters differently to the Win9x/ME family.

    > - you stick a second drive in with an
    > active partition and it's going to be D: drive

    Wrong if there is already a partition with that letter being used.

    > (of course you can change it in the diskmanager - but it will be D drive)

    Wrong again. The drive letters are much more persistent with the NT/2K/XP family.

    Rod Speed, May 25, 2006
  14. Dave Guest

    > If that is what happened, you wouldnt expect XP to be asking
    > if it should be formatted since its already been formatted.

    unless a partition had been removed

    Dave, May 25, 2006
  15. Rod Speed Guest

    Dave <> wrote
    > Rod Speed wrote
    >> Mike T. <> wrote
    >>> <> wrote

    >>> Oh boy. Ummmm . . . when swapping physical hard drives around, the logical (virtual)
    >>> drives get swapped around by Windows.

    >> No they dont with the NT/2K/XP family.

    >>> So you've got to be careful in moving files around, formatting, etc., that you know
    >>> which PHYSICAL drive you are working with. It's possible that you have accidentally
    >>> formatted a physical drive that you didn't want to format, as it temporarily had a
    >>> logical drive letter assigned to it that you THOUGHT was assigned to a physical drive
    >>> that you did want to format.

    >> If that is what happened, you wouldnt expect XP to be asking
    >> if it should be formatted since its already been formatted.

    > unless a partition had been removed

    XP still doesnt say that when a drive has free space.

    It only says that when it sees a corrupted partition table etc.

    Rod Speed, May 25, 2006
  16. Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote:

    |> wrote:

    |>> Nothing special about those OS's
    |>
    |>Wrong, they allocate drive letters differently to the Win9x/ME family.
    |>
    |>> - you stick a second drive in with an
    |>> active partition and it's going to be D: drive
    |>
    |>Wrong if there is already a partition with that letter being used.

    HD0: if you have CDEF and add HD1 with active partition you will then
    have CEF - HD1's first partition will take over D: and the rest of the
    partitions follow F (GH..)

    LIke shown at the very bottom of http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.php

  17. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote
    >>> wrote

    >>> Wrong, they allocate drive letters differently to the Win9x/ME family.

    Gunna ignore that ? It aint gunna go away just because you ignore it.

    >>> Wrong if there is already a partition with that letter being used.

    > HD0: if you have CDEF and add HD1 with active partition
    > you will then have CEF - HD1's first partition will take
    > over D: and the rest of the partitions follow F (GH..)

    Wrong with the NT/2K/XP family.

    That only happens with the Win9x/ME family.

    > LIke shown at the very bottom of http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.php

    Pity about this bit right at the top
    NOTE: I haven't yet comprehensively updated this article for Windows 2000/XP.

    Rod Speed, May 26, 2006
  18. wrote:

    > |>Not with the NT/2K/XP family.
    >
    > Nothing special about those OS's

    That is simply wrong, if you mean they operate like the Win9x family. The
    NT line scans for and assigns the drive letters differently (which is one
    reason why people sometimes discover their system drive is 'E:', or 'F:' or
    whatever, instead of 'C:'), handles partitions differently, and drive
    letter assignments are persistent regardless of where the physical drive is
    located, or 'moved' to. I.E. If you have a partition labeled 'C:' on a
    drive strapped as master on IDE0 it will still be 'C:' even if you move the
    drive to IDE1, or change it to slave, and add another drive physically
    'before' it.

    In Win9X, the old 'C:' would become 'D:' and the new, 'physically before
    it' partition would be 'C:' because Win9x scans for and assigns drive
    letters on every boot.

    Take a simple 1 partition per drive, two drives, master and slave on IDE0
    and say one is 200gig and the other 100gig, to distinguish them:

    Original configuration Physically swap master/slave

    Drive 200gig 100gig 100gig 200gig
    Master Slave Master Slave
    Win9X C: D: C: D:
    WinXP C: D: D: C:

    And that's 'something special' because if you decide to format 'drive D:'
    you get dramatically different results.

    > - you stick a second drive in with an
    > active partition and it's going to be D: drive (of course you can
    > change it in the diskmanager - but it will be D drive)

    Not necessarily because, for one, the system partition might not be 'C:'.

    David Maynard, May 26, 2006
  19. Guest

    "Rod Speed" <> wrote:

    |>> HD0: if you have CDEF and add HD1 with active partition
    |>> you will then have CEF - HD1's first partition will take
    |>> over D: and the rest of the partitions follow F (GH..)

    |>Wrong with the NT/2K/XP family.
    |>
    |>That only happens with the Win9x/ME family.

    |>> LIke shown at the very bottom of http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.php

    |>Pity about this bit right at the top
    |>NOTE: I haven't yet comprehensively updated this article for Windows 2000/XP.

    Whatever, I've run into this with both NT and W2K,

    --
    http://www.thekitchenoflove.com/kitchen/index.asp

    , May 26, 2006
  20. Rod Speed Guest

    wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote

    >>> Wrong with the NT/2K/XP family.

    >>> That only happens with the Win9x/ME family.

    >>> Pity about this bit right at the top
    >>> NOTE: I haven't yet comprehensively updated this article for
    >>> Windows 2000/XP.

    > Whatever, I've run into this with both NT and W2K,

    No you havent. You're just attempting to bullshit
    your way out of your predicament now.

    Rod Speed, May 26, 2006