    controller is installed. If I were to install a 200 GB drive on this
    computer, which is used for audio work (BIG files), what is the proper
    procedure for formatting the drive?

    mcp6453, Oct 16, 2004

  2. mcp6453

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I needed to install an 80 GB IDE drive as a second drive in a Windows 98
    > computer, which has a Promise Ultra133 Controller card. I tried FDISK to
    > partition the drive, but the drive size always showed up as 100MB or
    > some such nonsense. Then, I downloaded the "new" FDISK, no luck. Next, I
    > moved the drive to my Windows 2000 machine, where it was properly
    > recognized but would not format because of Windows 2000's stupid 32 GB
    > limit on formatting FAT32 partitions. FDISK run from a DOS boot on the
    > Win2K machine was not successful, so I ran BootIT NG and was able to
    > properly format the drive.
    >
    > How SHOULD I have formatted the drive if I only had the Windows 98
    > machine? Remember, there was not a BIOS problem as the Promise
    > controller is installed. If I were to install a 200 GB drive on this
    > computer, which is used for audio work (BIG files), what is the proper
    > procedure for formatting the drive?

    the big question is why FDISK failed to work from a boot floppy on the win2K
    machine that "properly recognized" the disk. It should have worked. Now as
    to the promise card, it also should have worked, provided the promise card
    did not also have some BIOS limit of it's own. Was this promise card new
    enough to properly recognize the drive? As for using a 200GB drive on a
    Win98 system I would avoid doing that. There are limitations in Win98 system
    that can be problematic using a drive that large. FDISK won't partition a
    drive larger than 128/137GB, and scandisk will not work with it either. The
    only operating systems with native support for 48 bit addressing (required
    for drives over 128/137GB) are Win2000SP3, and WinXPSP1. There are some 3rd
    party solutions to using drives that large in Win98, but if you are using
    the drive for very large files, you really don't want to use FAT32 anyway,
    because it has much stricter file size limits than NTFS. I would restrict
    such editing to a Win2k, or WinXP computer and NTFS. That being said,
    perhaps this article may be of some help in this area.

    http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/137/os/win98.html

    Thor, Oct 16, 2004

  3. mcp6453

    Plato Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > I needed to install an 80 GB IDE drive as a second drive in a Windows 98
    > computer, which has a Promise Ultra133 Controller card. I tried FDISK to
    > partition the drive, but the drive size always showed up as 100MB or
    > some such nonsense. Then, I downloaded the "new" FDISK, no luck. Next, I

    Showed up as 100mb before aka during formatting or after formatting? ie
    fdisk has a cosmetic error whilst formatting but the format works OK. In
    other words, after you fdisk, go to format, it will say "formatting
    100.087 mb" or some other nonsense but it does do it correctly. The
    cosmetic error is even in the new fdisk as I recall.

    Plato, Oct 16, 2004
  4. mcp6453

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > that can be problematic using a drive that large. FDISK won't partition a
    > drive larger than 128/137GB, and scandisk will not work with it either. The

    also checkdisk and defrag wont work. Says "out of memory". The old
    checkdisk and defrag and scandisk only handle I believe 4.1 million
    allocation units max.

    Plato, Oct 16, 2004
  5. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > the big question is why FDISK failed to work from a boot floppy on the win2K
    > machine that "properly recognized" the disk. It should have worked. Now as
    > to the promise card, it also should have worked, provided the promise card
    > did not also have some BIOS limit of it's own. Was this promise card new
    > enough to properly recognize the drive? As for using a 200GB drive on a
    > Win98 system I would avoid doing that. There are limitations in Win98 system
    > that can be problematic using a drive that large. FDISK won't partition a
    > drive larger than 128/137GB, and scandisk will not work with it either. The
    > only operating systems with native support for 48 bit addressing (required
    > for drives over 128/137GB) are Win2000SP3, and WinXPSP1. There are some 3rd
    > party solutions to using drives that large in Win98, but if you are using
    > the drive for very large files, you really don't want to use FAT32 anyway,
    > because it has much stricter file size limits than NTFS. I would restrict
    > such editing to a Win2k, or WinXP computer and NTFS. That being said,
    > perhaps this article may be of some help in this area.
    >
    > http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/capacity/137/os/win98.html

    Can't tell you why it didn't work. The BIOS on the Win2K machine
    definitely recognized the drive as 80GB, as did Windows 2000 Disk
    Manager. The only problem with Win2K is the stupid 32GB format
    limitation.

    The only reason I can think of as to why FDISK did not work is that
    maybe the updated version did not get loaded. I downloaded the update
    utility from microsoft.com and ran it on the 98 box. It reported that it
    successfully updated the machine. I then made a Windows Startup Disk.
    The date on the updated file was 1999. I did not have another machine
    readily available to check the date stamp on the original FDISK, so I
    went to BootIT NG, which is great for MANY reasons.

    Caution understood about large drives for Windows 98. Thanks for the
    info.

    mcp6453, Oct 16, 2004
  6. mcp6453

    mcp6453 Guest

    Plato wrote:

    > mcp6453 wrote:
    > >
    > > I needed to install an 80 GB IDE drive as a second drive in a Windows 98
    > > computer, which has a Promise Ultra133 Controller card. I tried FDISK to
    > > partition the drive, but the drive size always showed up as 100MB or
    > > some such nonsense. Then, I downloaded the "new" FDISK, no luck. Next, I

    > Showed up as 100mb before aka during formatting or after formatting? ie
    > fdisk has a cosmetic error whilst formatting but the format works OK. In
    > other words, after you fdisk, go to format, it will say "formatting
    > 100.087 mb" or some other nonsense but it does do it correctly. The
    > cosmetic error is even in the new fdisk as I recall.

    It was after formatting. That may be the whole problem. I was not
    willing to trust it.

    mcp6453, Oct 16, 2004
  7. mcp6453

    Spajky Guest

    On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 13:25:00 GMT, mcp6453 <>
    wrote:

    >I needed to install an 80 GB IDE drive as a second drive in a Windows 98
    >computer, which has a Promise Ultra133 Controller card. I tried FDISK to
    >partition the drive, but the drive size always showed up as 100MB or
    >some such nonsense.

    I used old Fdisk & showed 48Gb only; I did not care & just told it
    to allocate the hole space for single partition, It made it & showed
    48Gb.

    than I enabled again my basic disk, so this one showed like D
    I told win from context menu to format it; was properly recognised as
    a 120Gb one; go figure it! (yes it is a w98SE!) ...
    --
    Regards, SPAJKY ®
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky, Oct 16, 2004