    formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
    just fine.
    Has anyone ran into this problem before?
    brent, Apr 6, 2004

  2. brent

    °Mike° Guest

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    On 5 Apr 2004 20:53:48 -0700, in
    <>
    brent scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Apr 6, 2004

  3. > I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
    > formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
    > way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
    > formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
    > just fine.

    I had a disk with this problem and found that although it seemed to work
    except when trying to format it, there were some things wrong with the
    system. Small pieces of data would be corrupted, enough to make Linux
    reboot unexpectedly. Unlike when using Microsoft software, there is a
    big problem when Linux starts rebooting like this. The old drive failed
    a few weeks later, again showing why having a proper data backup is a
    good thing.
    Alexander Rogge, Apr 6, 2004
  4. brent

    Plato Guest

    brent wrote:

    > I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
    > formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half

    Sounds like there are problems with the hard drive or it's setup
    incorrectly. Either one.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Apr 6, 2004
  5. brent

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On 5 Apr 2004 20:53:48 -0700, (brent)
    wrote:

    >I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
    >formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
    >way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
    >formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
    >just fine.
    > Has anyone ran into this problem before?

    The HD may well be faulty. Do the tests you list above include a full
    surface scan eg using scandisk C: /au /su ??

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Apr 7, 2004
  6. brent

    biteme Guest

    Restart computer from the A: drive, with a OS boot disk. Then fdisk the hard
    drive before formatting.
    Good Luck!

    biteme, Apr 7, 2004
  7. brent

    biteme Guest

    ...and \ or

    depending on OS (win95 or win98) and size of drive, limitations. Info here:
    http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

    biteme, Apr 7, 2004
  8. Re: ...and \ or

    Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:17:11
    -0700, "biteme" <> claimed the following truncated
    trash was the absolute, fucking truth:

    >depending on OS (win95 or win98) and size of drive, limitations. Info here:
    >http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

    Depending on how old the BIOS is, there may be a limitation on how
    large a hard drive the PC may be able to accomodate. You might want to
    try a Dynamic Overlay provided by the hard drive manufacturer, such as
    Disk Manager. It either came with the hard drive (assuming you bought
    a retail version) or you can download it from the manufacturers web
    site. Then again, if there is a BIOS update, you might be able to
    update the BIOS. Be aware, however, if you somehow screw up the BIOS,
    your computer will no longer function.

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Apr 7, 2004