    I simply want to format C. But I don't know how to do that in Compaq. I
    own a Dell and tap the f8 key (I believe).

    Thanks in advance.

    Rick Williams, Mar 19, 2006

  2. Rick Williams

    Pen Guest

    "Rick Williams" <> wrote in message
    news:whjTf.19995$4%-nyc.rr.com...
    > My neighbor is putting her old compaq on the street and she's asked me to
    > clean the hard drive.
    >
    > Can anyone give me instructions on what to do?
    >
    > I simply want to format C. But I don't know how to do that in Compaq. I
    > own a Dell and tap the f8 key (I believe).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Since you don't know how to do it on a Dell either, I suggest you
    go here and read check out the custom XP fresh install boot disk.
    Read the readme file first.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/popfiles.htm

    Pen, Mar 19, 2006

  3. Rick Williams

    Bobby Guest

    Hi, Rick!

    Find and download gdisk.exe. Once downloaded run this command:
    "gdisk 1 /diskwipe /dod" This totally wipes out any data 7 times, per
    DOD standards. If you are planning on putting your old Compaq on the
    street, please contact me and I will pay for shipping. I need some
    more parts. I will take it off your hands, destroy any data it has
    (That's what I do) and recycle the machine.

    Good Luck!

    Bobby

    Bobby, Mar 20, 2006
  4. Rick Williams

    bambam Guest

    "Rick Williams" <> wrote in

    > My neighbor is putting her old compaq on the street and she's asked me
    > to clean the hard drive.
    >
    > Can anyone give me instructions on what to do?
    >
    > I simply want to format C. But I don't know how to do that in Compaq.
    > I own a Dell and tap the f8 key (I believe).

    Darik's Boot and Nuke ("DBAN") is a self-contained boot floppy that
    securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically
    and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect,
    which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data
    destruction.

    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

    bambam, Mar 20, 2006