    to delete partitions on Iomega drive to continue? Just what is this all
    about & what will it do to the Iomega drive as far as saving other items as
    photos, music, videos etc ?? Thanks for your help Gimpy....

    Gimpy, Jul 17, 2006

  2. Gimpy

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:31:51 -0400, "Gimpy" <>
    wrote:

    >Have an Iomega 250GB USB drive unit pre formatted with fat-32. Want to clone
    >drive inside my Dell computer, using Acronis back-up software. But when
    >trying to clone, Acronis says built in drive is formatted in NTFS & it has
    >to delete partitions on Iomega drive to continue? Just what is this all
    >about & what will it do to the Iomega drive as far as saving other items as
    >photos, music, videos etc ?? Thanks for your help Gimpy....

    It means your hard drive is using a different file system than the
    Iomega drive, and it needs to reformat your Iomega drive to the format
    of your hard drive.

    What does it mean to you for using the drive to save or backup?

    Nothing.

    Evan Platt, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Gimpy wrote:

    > Have an Iomega 250GB USB drive unit pre formatted with fat-32. Want to
    > clone drive inside my Dell computer, using Acronis back-up software. But
    > when trying to clone, Acronis says built in drive is formatted in NTFS &
    > it has to delete partitions on Iomega drive to continue? Just what is this
    > all about & what will it do to the Iomega drive as far as saving other
    > items as
    > photos, music, videos etc ?? Thanks for your help Gimpy....

    Do you want to image a harddrive or partition, or do you actually want to
    clone it to the usb drive (which is useless since windows won't start from
    it)?
    A image of a drive/partition can be stored in one or splitted into a bunch
    of files, even on FAT32 where the maximum filesize might be exceeded by a
    one-file image.

    Walter Mautner, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Gimpy

    fkasner Guest

    Gimpy wrote:
    > Have an Iomega 250GB USB drive unit pre formatted with fat-32. Want to clone
    > drive inside my Dell computer, using Acronis back-up software. But when
    > trying to clone, Acronis says built in drive is formatted in NTFS & it has
    > to delete partitions on Iomega drive to continue? Just what is this all
    > about & what will it do to the Iomega drive as far as saving other items as
    > photos, music, videos etc ?? Thanks for your help Gimpy....

    I ran into the same "problem" that you refer to. However it was not a
    Iomega drive. The hoops I would have to jump through to produce an image
    of the ntfs disk on the computer weren't worth the effort. They provided
    a copy of a Dantz backup software. But it was too much trouble. So I
    just used FDISK to delete the partition on the external drive and then
    formatted it in NTFS. Followed by using Acronis True Image 8.0 to do the
    image backuup to the external drive. No problem at all. The directions
    in the software were not as clear as they should be but I was able to do
    the job. Since then have also produced 5 additional incremental
    additions to the image of my C: drive.
    FK

    fkasner, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Gimpy

    Gimpy Guest

    fkasner, what do you mean by image back-up. Have the new drive now
    formated in NTFS & on my Acronis # 9 a complete hard disc back-up listed
    but no image back-up.. Same thing ? Thanks Gimpy.

    Gimpy, Jul 20, 2006