    braindamage can not be overridden).

    Is there a utility with more sense than Microsoft's FORMAT that
    will let me format a 16 Mb CF card and /specify/ that I want FAT16?
    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 5, 2004

  2. Gisle Hannemyr

    Dave Guest

    Why can't you just reformat the card in the camera or in the computer, as
    FAT16?

    Dave, Aug 7, 2004

  3. "Dave" <> writes:
    > "Gisle Hannemyr" <> wrote in message

    >> I have a 16 Mbyte CF card.
    >>
    >> In my stupidity I let Windows/XP format a 16 Mb CF-card, and it
    >> silently converted it from FAT16 to FAT12. Now, my camera will
    >> not accept it.
    >>
    >> (Windows/XP automatically chooses FAT12 for cards 32Mb and less
    >> and FAT16 for larger cards - up to 64 Mb, appearently, this
    >> braindamage can not be overridden).
    >>
    >> Is there a utility with more sense than Microsoft's FORMAT that
    >> will let me format a 16 Mb CF card and /specify/ that I want FAT16?

    > Why can't you just reformat the card in the camera

    Because the camera can't format. (This is an old camera.)

    >or in the computer, as FAT16?

    That's what I want to do. It seems impossible if the computer
    runs Win/XP (I know Linux can do it, but my laptop don't run
    Linux).

    If you know how to format at 16 Mb card to use FAT16 on Win/XP,
    please respond.
    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Gisle Hannemyr

    Bud Guest

    Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

    > Because the camera can't format. (This is an old camera.)
    >
    > If you know how to format at 16 Mb card to use FAT16 on Win/XP,
    > please respond.

    Since it is an old camera, it's probably formated as 8 bit, msdos.

    Take it to a camera store?
    Bud, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Bud <> writes:
    > Gisle Hannemyr wrote:

    >> Because the camera can't format. (This is an old camera.)
    >>
    >> If you know how to format at 16 Mb card to use FAT16 on Win/XP,
    >> please respond.

    > Since it is an old camera, it's probably formated as 8 bit, msdos.

    FYI: FAT (File allocation table) /is/ the MSDOS file system. There is
    FAT12 (which MSDOS used for floppy disks); and FAT16, which MSDOS used
    for most hard disks. (There is also FAT32, which MSDOS used for very
    big hard disks.) But there isn't, and never was, such a thing as FAT8.

    The file system native to Windows XP is named "NTFS".

    > Take it to a camera store?

    I've tried, and found their understanding of file systems to be
    on par with yours.

    If anyone know how to format at 16 Mb card to use FAT16 on Win/XP,
    please respond.
    Gisle Hannemyr, Aug 8, 2004
  6. Gisle Hannemyr wrote:
    []
    > If anyone know how to format at 16 Mb card to use FAT16 on Win/XP,
    > please respond.

    I see no option for specifically formatting as FAT16 in XP.

    You may be able to find a 3rd party format program that works under XP.

    Find a neighbour with Win 9X and see if that does the job.

    If you are really desparate, take an old PC with Windows 9X and try that,
    or find a spare hard disk, temporarily install it in your PC, and use a
    set of e.g. DOS 6.22 boot disks to install DOS 6.22 temporarily. I
    believe there are some free DOS lookalikes on the Internet for download.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Aug 8, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    says...
    > I have a 32 Mbyte CF card.
    >
    > In my stupidity I let Windows/XP format a 16 Mb CF-card, and it
    > silently converted it from FAT16 to FAT12. Now, my camera will
    > not accept it.
    >
    > (Windows/XP automatically chooses FAT12 for cards 32Mb and less
    > and FAT16 for larger cards - up to 64 Mb, appearently, this
    > braindamage can not be overridden).
    >
    > Is there a utility with more sense than Microsoft's FORMAT that
    > will let me format a 16 Mb CF card and /specify/ that I want FAT16?

    Have you tried formatting it via command-prompt?

    format a: /FS:FAT

    You might also have to specify bigger than 512 allocation unit size.

    FORMAT volume [/FS:file-system] [/V:label] [/Q] [/A:size] [/C] [/X]
    FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/F:size]
    FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/T:tracks /N:sectors]
    FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/1] [/4]
    FORMAT volume [/Q] [/1] [/4] [/8]

    volume Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
    mount point, or volume name.
    /FS:filesystem Specifies the type of the file system (FAT, FAT32, or
    NTFS).
    /V:label Specifies the volume label.
    /Q Performs a quick format.
    /C Files created on the new volume will be compressed by
    default.
    /X Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All
    opened
    handles to the volume would no longer be valid.
    /A:size Overrides the default allocation unit size. Default
    settings
    are strongly recommended for general use.
    NTFS supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K,
    64K.
    FAT supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K,
    64K,
    (128K, 256K for sector size > 512 bytes).
    FAT32 supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K,
    64K,
    (128K, 256K for sector size > 512 bytes).

    Note that the FAT and FAT32 files systems impose
    the
    following restrictions on the number of clusters on a
    volume:

    FAT: Number of clusters <= 65526
    FAT32: 65526 < Number of clusters < 268435446

    Format will immediately stop processing if it decides
    that
    the above requirements cannot be met using the
    specified
    cluster size.

    NTFS compression is not supported for allocation unit
    sizes
    above 4096.
    /F:size Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format (160,
    180, 320, 360, 640, 720, 1.2, 1.23, 1.44, 2.88, or
    20.8).
    /T:tracks Specifies the number of tracks per disk side.
    /N:sectors Specifies the number of sectors per track.
    /1 Formats a single side of a floppy disk.
    /4 Formats a 5.25-inch 360K floppy disk in a
    high-density drive.
    /8 Formats eight sectors per track.
    Zaphod Beeblebrox, Aug 8, 2004