Formatting CF and Microdrive

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MB, Aug 4, 2003.

  1. MB

    MB Guest

    Hi,

    I use two Microdrives and one CF card when shooting with my Fuji S602. I've
    filled all the cards up several times over and now I am considering
    formatting the cards as I understand this will (ever so slightly) improve
    speed.

    My question is - what is the best way to do this? I read a lot about FAT,
    FAT32 etc without really understanding what it means and what
    benefits/issues each could bring. The camera seems to just have one option -
    Format - so should I just go ahead and format in the camera? Or should I be
    doing something else?

    I use a Dazzle Fusion card reader to download direct from the cards, or
    alternatively if I am shooting a lot of pictures without access to my
    computer I download my cards onto an Archos Multimedia portable hard drive
    and transfer to my PC when I get home.

    Any advice regarding formatting my cards would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    MB, Aug 4, 2003

  2. MB

    Ian Stirling Guest

    MB <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I use two Microdrives and one CF card when shooting with my Fuji S602. I've
    > filled all the cards up several times over and now I am considering
    > formatting the cards as I understand this will (ever so slightly) improve
    > speed.
    >
    > My question is - what is the best way to do this? I read a lot about FAT,
    > FAT32 etc without really understanding what it means and what
    > benefits/issues each could bring. The camera seems to just have one option -
    > Format - so should I just go ahead and format in the camera? Or should I be
    > doing something else?

    Just formatting in the camera is fine.
    What can be a problem is if you leave files on the camera while deleting others,
    and then continue to take pictures.
    If you do this several times over, especially with a microdrive (due to its
    slow seek time) then it may slow down a bit.

    Deleting all the files, or formatting does pretty much the same thing.

    --
    http://inquisitor.i.am/ | mailto: | Ian Stirling.
    Prosperity and ruin issue from the power of the tongue.
    Ian Stirling, Aug 4, 2003

  3. MB

    Lionel Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:44:07 +0100, in
    <>, "MB" <> said:

    >I use two Microdrives and one CF card

    I use two 512MB CF cards & a single 1GB Microdrive, myself. :)

    > when shooting with my Fuji S602. I've
    >filled all the cards up several times over and now I am considering
    >formatting the cards as I understand this will (ever so slightly) improve
    >speed.

    It won't improve it to any noticible degree, but there's no harm in
    doing so if you feel the urge. After transferring my photos to my
    computer, I often format the card in the camera because it's actually
    faster (in my EOS 10D & Powershot S30) than doing a 'delete all'.

    >My question is - what is the best way to do this?

    Do it in the camera. That ensures that the format will be 100%
    compatible with the camera. This may not be the case if you format it in
    your computer.

    >Any advice regarding formatting my cards would be appreciated.

    Hope this helps, etc. :)

    Lionel, Aug 4, 2003