    does that mean I need to partition the disk? what is the fdisk command line
    for that action? and what is the max for fat32?

    cheers
    Mal Carter, Sep 23, 2007

  2. Mal Carter

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 02:07:59 GMT, "Mal Carter" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I've borrowed a friends 60gig WD ext usb HD to try use it with my pioneer
    >dvd player which has usb input and supposedly uses fat32.
    >
    >have noticed the drive is currently ntfs and that windows wont format fat32
    >of that size.
    >
    >used the command prompt (read it would work: format: I:\ /fs:fat32 and it
    >formatted, got to the end and then said "too big for fat32"
    >

    >does that mean I need to partition the disk? what is the fdisk command line
    >for that action? and what is the max for fat32?

    Doesn't look like Windoze wants to format anything that big FAT32.

    Double check that the DVD player 'supposedly' uses fat32. See if it
    can format the external drive.
    Evan Platt, Sep 23, 2007

  3. Mal Carter

    ded Guest

    "Mal Carter" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I've borrowed a friends 60gig WD ext usb HD to try use it with my pioneer
    > dvd player which has usb input and supposedly uses fat32.

    The first point to address, when connecting an external HDD is that it
    dosen't have to be formatted the same as the master drive. You could have
    and should have left it as NTFS.

    snip>

    A Pioneer DVD player with a a USB connection?
    Is it actually a standalone DVD recorder with it's own on-board HDD, if so
    then the USB connection may only be for import/export of MP3 files, I doubt
    it is for transfer of video media/footage.
    If it is just a DVD player (not a recorder) are you 100% certain it is
    equipped
    with a USB port?
    Post the model number of the Pioneer and I'll look it up.
    ded, Sep 23, 2007
  4. Mal Carter

    Guest

    "Mal Carter" <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >I've borrowed a friends 60gig WD ext usb HD to try use it with my pioneer
    >dvd player which has usb input and supposedly uses fat32.
    >
    >have noticed the drive is currently ntfs and that windows wont format fat32
    >of that size.
    >
    >used the command prompt (read it would work: format: I:\ /fs:fat32 and it
    >formatted, got to the end and then said "too big for fat32"
    >

    >does that mean I need to partition the disk? what is the fdisk command line
    >for that action? and what is the max for fat32?

    You need a third party program to format over ~38 gigs,
    Partition magic works well.

    --

    Get the whole thing.
    http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=1142