    fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
    before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?

    Many and grovelling thanks as always.

    Trent C, Dec 16, 2003

  2. Trent C

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Trent C said:

    > I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
    > offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
    >
    > A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
    > some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
    > fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
    > before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
    >
    > Many and grovelling thanks as always.

    As long as the disc is FAT32 and not NTFS, you shouldn't have any problems.
    2000 isn't a pain in the backside like XP.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003

  3. Trent C

    Trent C Guest

    > > I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
    > > offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
    > >
    > > A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
    > > some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
    > > fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
    > > before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
    > >
    > > Many and grovelling thanks as always.

    > As long as the disc is FAT32 and not NTFS, you shouldn't have any

    problems.
    > 2000 isn't a pain in the backside like XP.

    Hi Brian,

    Thanks for the extremely quick and helpful response. If it's a FAT32 HDD I
    assume I just format and reinstall, in which case it's relatively
    trouble-free. But let's assume the worst for a minute and that it is indeed
    NTFS - what are my options?

    TIA

    Trent C, Dec 16, 2003
  4. Trent C

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Trent C said:

    >>> I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
    >>> offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
    >>>
    >>> A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
    >>> some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
    >>> fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
    >>> before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
    >>>
    >>> Many and grovelling thanks as always.

    >> As long as the disc is FAT32 and not NTFS, you shouldn't have any problems.
    >> 2000 isn't a pain in the backside like XP.

    > Hi Brian,
    >
    > Thanks for the extremely quick and helpful response. If it's a FAT32 HDD I
    > assume I just format and reinstall, in which case it's relatively
    > trouble-free. But let's assume the worst for a minute and that it is indeed
    > NTFS - what are my options?
    >
    > TIA

    If it is NTFS, just use the convert command at a command prompt.
    should be:-
    convert /fs:fat32
    check the system help files by searching for convert.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003
  5. Trent C

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    >>> As long as the disc is FAT32 and not NTFS, you shouldn't have any problems.
    >>> 2000 isn't a pain in the backside like XP.

    >> Hi Brian,
    >>
    >> Thanks for the extremely quick and helpful response. If it's a FAT32 HDD I
    >> assume I just format and reinstall, in which case it's relatively
    >> trouble-free. But let's assume the worst for a minute and that it is indeed
    >> NTFS - what are my options?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > If it is NTFS, just use the convert command at a command prompt.
    > should be:-
    > convert /fs:fat32
    > check the system help files by searching for convert.

    Actually, right clicking the HDD and choosing format should give you the choice
    of formatting NTFS or FAT32 also.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003
  6. Trent C

    Harrison Guest

    On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:12:08 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

    >Brian H¹© said:

    >>> Hi Brian,
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for the extremely quick and helpful response. If it's a FAT32 HDD I
    >>> assume I just format and reinstall, in which case it's relatively
    >>> trouble-free. But let's assume the worst for a minute and that it is indeed
    >>> NTFS - what are my options?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> If it is NTFS, just use the convert command at a command prompt.
    >> should be:-
    >> convert /fs:fat32
    >> check the system help files by searching for convert.

    >Actually, right clicking the HDD and choosing format should give you the choice
    >of formatting NTFS or FAT32 also.

    You are joking, aren't you?

    Harrison, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Trent C

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Harrison said:

    > On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 23:12:08 -0000, "Brian H¹©"
    > <-vine.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
    >
    >> Brian H¹© said:

    >>> If it is NTFS, just use the convert command at a command prompt.
    >>> should be:-
    >>> convert /fs:fat32
    >>> check the system help files by searching for convert.

    >> Actually, right clicking the HDD and choosing format should give you the
    >> choice of formatting NTFS or FAT32 also.

    > You are joking, aren't you?

    Why would I be joking, there is also a function in Administrative Tools for
    formatting drives.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003
  8. Trent C

    Trent C Guest

    to run

    compound

    done it

    HDD I

    > >> Actually, right clicking the HDD and choosing format should give you

    the
    > >> choice of formatting NTFS or FAT32 also.

    > > You are joking, aren't you?

    > Why would I be joking, there is also a function in Administrative Tools

    for
    > formatting drives.

    I wouldn't want to challenge you, Brian - your knowledge is clearly greater
    than mine. That said, I have in the past been led to believe that the
    journey from FAT32 to NTFS is one-way. I've nothing to base this on other
    than hearsay, mind you.

    Trent C, Dec 16, 2003
  9. Trent C

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Trent C said:

    >>> You are joking, aren't you?

    >> Why would I be joking, there is also a function in Administrative Tools for
    >> formatting drives.

    > I wouldn't want to challenge you, Brian - your knowledge is clearly greater
    > than mine. That said, I have in the past been led to believe that the
    > journey from FAT32 to NTFS is one-way. I've nothing to base this on other
    > than hearsay, mind you.

    I experimented wth converting to NTFS back to FAT32 and back to NTFS to see if
    there was any loss of files on my system some time ago.
    The only thing I will *never* do again is to compress the drive. A day to
    compress it, find there was no noticeable difference, so followed by a day
    uncompressing, resulting in a total mess of the file system and the files on the
    drive, causing defrag to run for 15 hours instead of 5 to 10 minutes.
    In the end, I removed all the files, formatted and put the files back on the
    drive.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 16, 2003
  10. Trent C

    Trent C Guest

    process.

    complicated

    FAT32

    relatively

    is

    the

    > >> Why would I be joking, there is also a function in Administrative Tools

    for
    > >> formatting drives.

    > > I wouldn't want to challenge you, Brian - your knowledge is clearly

    greater
    > > than mine. That said, I have in the past been led to believe that the
    > > journey from FAT32 to NTFS is one-way. I've nothing to base this on

    other
    > > than hearsay, mind you.

    > I experimented wth converting to NTFS back to FAT32 and back to NTFS to

    see if
    > there was any loss of files on my system some time ago.
    > The only thing I will *never* do again is to compress the drive. A day to
    > compress it, find there was no noticeable difference, so followed by a day
    > uncompressing, resulting in a total mess of the file system and the files

    on the
    > drive, causing defrag to run for 15 hours instead of 5 to 10 minutes.
    > In the end, I removed all the files, formatted and put the files back on

    the
    > drive.

    Thanks for the reassurance. I wonder what my friend meant when he said it
    was a tricky process?

    Trent C, Dec 17, 2003
  11. Trent C

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Trent C said:

    >>> I wouldn't want to challenge you, Brian - your knowledge is clearly greater
    >>> than mine. That said, I have in the past been led to believe that the
    >>> journey from FAT32 to NTFS is one-way. I've nothing to base this on other
    >>> than hearsay, mind you.

    >> I experimented wth converting to NTFS back to FAT32 and back to NTFS to see
    >> if there was any loss of files on my system some time ago.
    >> The only thing I will *never* do again is to compress the drive. A day to
    >> compress it, find there was no noticeable difference, so followed by a day
    >> uncompressing, resulting in a total mess of the file system and the files on
    >> the drive, causing defrag to run for 15 hours instead of 5 to 10 minutes.
    >> In the end, I removed all the files, formatted and put the files back on the
    >> drive.

    > Thanks for the reassurance. I wonder what my friend meant when he said it
    > was a tricky process?

    He must be mistaking the problems for those of an XP system.

    Brian H¹©, Dec 17, 2003
  12. Trent C

    Thip Guest

    "Trent C" <> wrote in message
    > I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
    > offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
    >
    > A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
    > some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
    > fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
    > before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
    >
    > Many and grovelling thanks as always.

    Many Thinkpads have a recovery partition. Do you see the option at bootup?
    You're saying he needs to "go back" to 98SE, which makes me think that's
    what came preloaded on his machine. If so, it's a breeze.

    Thip, Dec 17, 2003
  13. Trent C

    Trent C Guest

    > > I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
    > > offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
    > >
    > > A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
    > > some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
    > > fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
    > > before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
    > >
    > > Many and grovelling thanks as always.
    > >

    > Many Thinkpads have a recovery partition. Do you see the option at

    bootup?
    > You're saying he needs to "go back" to 98SE, which makes me think that's
    > what came preloaded on his machine. If so, it's a breeze.

    A useful suggestion, but I said "go back" because 98 is an earlier OS than
    2000. I'll look for the recovery partition, though.

    Trent C, Dec 17, 2003
  14. Trent C

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:01:44 -0000, "Trent C"
    <> wrote:

    >> > I'm hoping that someone has had some experience of this process and can
    >> > offer advice, as I've been told that this can be a tricky process.
    >> >
    >> > A colleague has a very flaky ThinkPad running Win2K and, in order to run
    >> > some specific software (multi-lingual and extremely complicated compound
    >> > fonts), needs to go back to 98se. Can anyone advise if they've done it
    >> > before and whether there's a step-by-step guide knocking around?
    >> >
    >> > Many and grovelling thanks as always.
    >> >

    >> Many Thinkpads have a recovery partition. Do you see the option at

    >bootup?
    >> You're saying he needs to "go back" to 98SE, which makes me think that's
    >> what came preloaded on his machine. If so, it's a breeze.

    >A useful suggestion, but I said "go back" because 98 is an earlier OS than
    >2000. I'll look for the recovery partition, though.

    When you look for it, make sure you use a program that can see hidden
    partitions. My vote wud be for Partition Magic.

    Before you do that...try Brian's command advice.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 17, 2003
  15. Trent C

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Trent C mused:

    | Thanks for the reassurance. I wonder what my friend meant when he said it
    | was a tricky process?

    The only thing I can think that would be tricky is Windows 98 *not*
    having the necessary device drivers for the laptop ...

    mhicaoidh, Dec 17, 2003
  16. Trent C

    Billy Guest

    Ahh Brian did you get any fat buds for an early xmas present?
    You may have used a third party program to convert to Fat32, but the
    convert command will not work to change back from a native environment.

    Billy, Dec 17, 2003