    probably eff it up and format C.
    How can I do this?
    Running XP Pro

    Joe, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Joe

    ??? Guest

    Why are you doing this in safe mode? You go into control panel, go into
    administrative tools. go to computer management, then go to disk management.
    From here you select the new D Drive, partition the drive and format. Thats
    it.

    ???, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    When I try that it says that the drive is being used and it won't let me
    format.
    "???" <> wrote in message
    > Why are you doing this in safe mode? You go into control panel, go into
    > administrative tools. go to computer management, then go to disk

    management.
    > From here you select the new D Drive, partition the drive and format.

    Thats

    Joe, Jan 19, 2004
  4. Joe

    ??? Guest

    I think I see what is happening., the drive you are attempting to format, is
    this the old drive? If so, what do you have on this drive now? You may have
    the drive setup as a scratch disk, a system swap drive, or a program is
    installed on this drive, rather than the C Drive.

    If you are going to keep the old data, I would get a copy of norton ghost
    and clone to old drive to the new. After it is cloned, put the new drive in
    the D and put the old D drive in as the E drive. Now you can format the E
    drive (old hard drive) with no problems.

    ???, Jan 19, 2004
  5. Joe

    mark mandel Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > I have two hdds (C and D) in one machine. I want to remove one of them (D)
    > to install a bigger one. I will then sell the old one. I am trying to

    format
    > the hdd (D) in safe mode but I keep getting an error "Windows Was Unable

    > Complete The Format". I am reluctant to do it any other way as I will
    > probably eff it up and format C.
    > How can I do this?
    > Running XP Pro

    Using the Recovery Console command to format might work. Have you also
    tried that?

    mark mandel, Jan 19, 2004
  6. Joe

    Joe Guest

    I was able to get it to work. I restarted the machine and tried to do it as
    suggested under Disk Management. That worked. Thanks for the input.

    Joe, Jan 19, 2004