    Maybe the D really isn't really setup correctly to be a SLAVE drive?
    Well, any help will be appreciated.

    Glenn

    Glenn S, Sep 4, 2003

  2. Glenn S

    farmhand Guest

    Try formatting in 'safe' boot.
    "Glenn S" <> wrote in message
    news:VlO5b.52316$...
    > Hello..
    > I have a question regarding the formatting of a slave hard drive. First of
    > all I bought a new pc a few months ago. It came with 2 hard drives. My
    > primary one(c drive) is an 120gig and the secondary(d drive) or slave

    drive
    > is 20gig. I use windows xp professional. My problem is it wont allow me to
    > format my D drive via my computer. It gives me an error saying It cant
    > format a system volume. I went into disk management and it does give a
    > status of "system" under my d drive and "boot" under my c drive. Now, I
    > guess my question why can't I format this drive? I'm not going to use this
    > drive for anything but backups. I want it to be a standalone drive that

    has
    > nothing to do with my boot drive. I had this on my previous pc with 2 hard
    > drives but cant remember how I did it. Oh.. FYI.. Both these hard drives

    are

    farmhand, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Glenn S

    GHalleck Guest

    Glenn S wrote:

    > Hello..
    > I have a question regarding the formatting of a slave hard drive. First of
    > all I bought a new pc a few months ago. It came with 2 hard drives. My
    > primary one(c drive) is an 120gig and the secondary(d drive) or slave drive
    > is 20gig. I use windows xp professional. My problem is it wont allow me to
    > format my D drive via my computer. It gives me an error saying It cant
    > format a system volume. I went into disk management and it does give a
    > status of "system" under my d drive and "boot" under my c drive. Now, I
    > guess my question why can't I format this drive? I'm not going to use this
    > drive for anything but backups. I want it to be a standalone drive that has
    > nothing to do with my boot drive. I had this on my previous pc with 2 hard
    > drives but cant remember how I did it. Oh.. FYI.. Both these hard drives are
    > on a scsi card. They are not standard IDE drives. Could that be the issue?
    > Maybe the D really isn't really setup correctly to be a SLAVE drive?
    > Well, any help will be appreciated.
    >
    > Glenn

    The problem is as stated...nothing wrong with SCSI. The Windows XP
    OS files is on Drive D, or the "system". Drive C is the boot drive because
    the boot sector and the boot files to find the OS, i.e., ntdetect.com, ntldr,
    boot.ini and bootsect.dos are located there. Easy way out is to re-install
    Windows XP so that the boot partition and the system partition are the
    same, or on Drive C.

    GHalleck, Sep 5, 2003