    that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D drive
    icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?

    Jane S.
    Jane Sarles, Jan 24, 2004

  2. Jane Sarles

    Jay Guest

    "Jane Sarles" <> wrote in message
    news:v7mQb.107997$sv6.538910@attbi_s52...
    > Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer" and

    then
    > right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to format . XP hel

    says
    > that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D drive
    > icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?
    >
    > Jane S.

    Is there a disk in the drive?
    Is the disk already formatted?
    Is the disk a never-used brand new shiny one?

    Jay
    Jay, Jan 24, 2004

  3. Jane Sarles

    Jane Sarles Guest

    It is a brand new shiny one. Unformatted, as far as I can tell.

    Jane

    Jane Sarles, Jan 24, 2004
  4. Jane Sarles

    Billy Guest

    Is it a CDR or a CDRW? CDR does not need to be formatted first.

    Billy, Jan 24, 2004
  5. Jane Sarles

    toyalP2 Guest

    You need a program to do that, XP will no do it, there's a program
    called B's CD Formater, I don't know where you can get it, mine came
    with the CD for my Sony CDRW drive.
    There was another one called Prassi but I don't know if it will work
    with XP, It worked great for me when I had 98, once the CDs were
    formated you could do drag and drop of files without going trough all
    the stupid XP procedures for copying.
    But I must warn you, it's not compatible with XP, what I mean to say is
    that XP will not read or write to CDs formated that way.
    Maybe someone can help you more on this.
    Good luck!

    toyalP2, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Jane Sarles

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 04:24:53 GMT, "Jane Sarles"
    <> scribbled:

    >It is a brand new shiny one. Unformatted, as far as I can tell.

    Are you sure it's a REWritable disc and not just a CDR?

    >"Jay" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jane Sarles" <> wrote in message
    >> > Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer" and

    >> then
    >> > right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to format . XP hel

    >> says
    >> > that the "format" option should appear when I right click on the D drive
    >> > icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I format a cdrw with XP?
    >> >
    >> > Jane S.

    >> Is there a disk in the drive?
    >> Is the disk already formatted?
    >> Is the disk a never-used brand new shiny one?
    >>
    >> Jay

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett
    -= Hawk =-, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Jane Sarles

    Patrick Guest

    Jane Sarles wrote:
    > Please give a hand to a puzzled xp user: When I open "my computer"
    > and then right click on the CDRW drive icon, I get no option to
    > format . XP hel says that the "format" option should appear when I
    > right click on the D drive icon. What am I doing wrong here? Can I
    > format a cdrw with XP?
    >
    > Jane S.

    I don't think that XP help told you that it (XP) could format a CDR or CDRW
    !
    In fact, useing the XP burning software requires NO formatting, niether
    would a 'formatted' CDR or CDRW be acceptable to XP's inbuilt burning
    software.

    Formatting a CDR/CDRW is only done when useing 'packet writing' software
    (InCD or DirectCD) that usually comes bundled with dedicated burner programs
    such as from Nero or Roxio

    Anyways, have a look at this page;
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.htm
    Patrick, Jan 24, 2004