    I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    all. Anything else I can use?

    Thanks
    Ed Chilada, Jul 6, 2007

  2. Ed Chilada

    John Bean Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:27:39 GMT, Ed Chilada
    <> wrote:

    >I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
    >used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
    >to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
    >partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
    >Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
    >it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
    >entirely familiar with.
    >
    >I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    >all. Anything else I can use?

    Windows is brain dead with removeable disks like memory
    cards, it simply refuses to touch the partition table.

    I've had this exact problem a few years ago and used Linux
    fdisk booted from a live CD distro to zap the card and
    recreate a new FAT partition.

    It then re-formatted in XP to its proper capacity.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jul 6, 2007

  3. Ed Chilada

    Larry Bud Guest

    On Jul 6, 7:27 am, Ed Chilada <> wrote:
    > I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
    > used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
    > to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
    > partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
    > Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
    > it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
    > entirely familiar with.
    >
    > I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    > all. Anything else I can use?

    Just googled your issue, and MAC users have the same problem. Take a
    look at this thread:

    http://forums.macosxhints.com/archive/index.php/t-55172.html

    There's a link to a Windows app that you might want to try.
    Larry Bud, Jul 6, 2007
  4. Ed Chilada

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Re: Formatted SD card in camera, now only 1gb instead of 2gb! Needto repartition it!

    Ed Chilada wrote:
    > I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
    > used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
    > to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
    > partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
    > Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
    > it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
    > entirely familiar with.
    >
    > I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    > all. Anything else I can use?
    >

    > Thanks

    You can try this but it may not work. Download a trial version of
    bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com. Make a boot media and boot. Do
    not try to install, but cancel into maintenance mode.
    There is is an option under settings to supply usb support. I need this
    since my bios won't recognize a flash drive. Here's the part I don't
    know. I can recognize and partition a usb flash drive. However, my
    system hangs on a card reader with a CF card installed until I remove.
    It may be a later bios wouldn't have this problem. If bootitng
    recognizes your card (it will show as drive 1 or higher depending on
    your number of hd's), you can partition and format. Just be careful.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Jul 6, 2007
  5. ? "Dave Cohen" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Ed Chilada wrote:
    > > I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
    > > used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
    > > to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
    > > partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
    > > Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
    > > it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
    > > entirely familiar with.
    > >
    > > I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    > > all. Anything else I can use?
    > >

    > > Thanks

    > You can try this but it may not work. Download a trial version of
    > bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com. Make a boot media and boot. Do
    > not try to install, but cancel into maintenance mode.
    > There is is an option under settings to supply usb support. I need this
    > since my bios won't recognize a flash drive. Here's the part I don't
    > know. I can recognize and partition a usb flash drive. However, my
    > system hangs on a card reader with a CF card installed until I remove.
    > It may be a later bios wouldn't have this problem.

    Why not update (or have updated) your BIOS then?

    >If bootitng
    > recognizes your card (it will show as drive 1 or higher depending on
    > your number of hd's), you can partition and format. Just be careful.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jul 6, 2007
  6. Ed Chilada

    Tony Hwang Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    > ? "Dave Cohen" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >
    >>Ed Chilada wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
    >>>used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
    >>>to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
    >>>partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
    >>>Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
    >>>it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
    >>>entirely familiar with.
    >>>
    >>>I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    >>>all. Anything else I can use?
    >>>

    >>>Thanks

    >>You can try this but it may not work. Download a trial version of
    >>bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com. Make a boot media and boot. Do
    >>not try to install, but cancel into maintenance mode.
    >>There is is an option under settings to supply usb support. I need this
    >>since my bios won't recognize a flash drive. Here's the part I don't
    >>know. I can recognize and partition a usb flash drive. However, my
    >>system hangs on a card reader with a CF card installed until I remove.
    >>It may be a later bios wouldn't have this problem.

    > Why not update (or have updated) your BIOS then?
    >

    >>If bootitng
    >>recognizes your card (it will show as drive 1 or higher depending on
    >>your number of hd's), you can partition and format. Just be careful.

    > --
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    > major in electrical engineering
    > mechanized infantry reservist
    > dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Hmmm,
    I did the same thing and when I put the card back into camera it said
    it needed a format so I did. All is well again. Camera is Lumix DMC-FZ20.
    Tony Hwang, Jul 6, 2007
  7. Ed Chilada

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:27:39 +0000, Ed Chilada wrote:

    > I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
    > used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
    > to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
    > partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
    > Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
    > it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
    > entirely familiar with.
    >
    > I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    > all. Anything else I can use?
    >

    > Thanks

    You might try the Gparted Live CD.
    ray, Jul 6, 2007
  8. Ed Chilada

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Re: Formatted SD card in camera, now only 1gb instead of 2gb! Needto repartition it!

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    > ? "Dave Cohen" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >> Ed Chilada wrote:
    >>> I have a 2gb SD card which I use for general things. A few weeks ago I
    >>> used it in my camera as a spare, and I formatted it using the camera
    >>> to clear it. Back in my PC it seems that the camera created a 1gb
    >>> partition and there's 1gb unused. The problem is, Windows Disk
    >>> Manager, whilst it can see the partition, it won't touch it, delete
    >>> it, resize it or anything. It seems it's of a type that it's not
    >>> entirely familiar with.
    >>>
    >>> I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    >>> all. Anything else I can use?
    >>>

    >>> Thanks

    >> You can try this but it may not work. Download a trial version of
    >> bootitng from www.terabyteunlimited.com. Make a boot media and boot. Do
    >> not try to install, but cancel into maintenance mode.
    >> There is is an option under settings to supply usb support. I need this
    >> since my bios won't recognize a flash drive. Here's the part I don't
    >> know. I can recognize and partition a usb flash drive. However, my
    >> system hangs on a card reader with a CF card installed until I remove.
    >> It may be a later bios wouldn't have this problem.

    > Why not update (or have updated) your BIOS then?

    Can't find an update, machine is from e-machine and they don't supply.
    Phoenix site no-go. It's not really a problem, machine fine otherwise.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Jul 6, 2007
  9. Ed Chilada

    Ed Chilada Guest

    wrote:

    >I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    >all. Anything else I can use?

    Cheers for all the help guys. It seems like I'm going to be trying one
    or more of those other OS. The link to the Windows program in the
    thread that Larry mentioned doesn't work anymore, sadly!

    Thanks again
    Ed Chilada, Jul 8, 2007
  10. Ed Chilada

    DOCJohnson Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:21:54 GMT, Ed Chilada <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:27:39 GMT, Ed Chilada <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    >>all. Anything else I can use?

    >Cheers for all the help guys. It seems like I'm going to be trying one
    >or more of those other OS. The link to the Windows program in the
    >thread that Larry mentioned doesn't work anymore, sadly!
    >
    >Thanks again

    Try this link: for the Windows version:

    http://www.ritekusa.com/upload/SDFix2G_104.rar

    I've been trying to repair an inexpensive SD card for a long time and no
    utilities I've tried so far seemed to work. So I took some time to play with the
    different download paths at that site to see if their program would help, if I
    could find it. Basing a guess on their other files' download paths, I tried
    those with the right filename. I found out they put it in a different directory
    but didn't update the links to it on their web pages. It didn't fix the card I
    have here but it looks like it might come in handy in the future for other
    situations.

    When I found out yet another Windows utility didn't work I finally tried some
    hacker's DOS+USB access to card-reader utilities that I happen to have to try to
    fix my corrupt card. It now appears to be a permanent SD hardware problem.
    Luckily it was only $20. Its twin has performed flawlessly however. Something
    fried in it and won't allow any writes beyond a FAT or MBR update, and that only
    holds for that session, no matter what low-level hard-drive and format repair
    utilities I tried. Reads are fine, it's writes that are screwed, there's one
    corrupt folder entry that's causing it all. (And no, it has nothing to do with
    something as simple as the write-protect lock on the card.)

    If you too find that that Windows program won't help, do a hunt for a CD image
    file called "Hiren's Boot CD v9.1" (or later version), as that has all the
    DOS+USB support and special low-level hacker HD maintenance utilities, that no
    Windows program could ever hope to cope with. It was put together as a special
    hacker's utility CD with a half-hundred or so utility programs on it to be able
    to access and repair and recover a computer's OS and lost data or nearly
    anything, with the barest of essentials. If nothing else it was quite
    interesting being able to see all my USB devices (card-readers, card data,
    external USB hard-drives, etc.) from DOS and have access to everything on them.
    Even my wireless USB mouse worked in DOS. Been awhile since I played in DOS-land
    and I didn't know I could do all that. Gotta love them hackers!

    Be careful with that Hiren's Boot CD if you find it, you can just as easily wipe
    out your whole operating system, permanently kill your bios or hard-drive
    master-boot-record, etc. as you can repair it with just the wrong utility or
    option selected. :)
    DOCJohnson, Jul 8, 2007
  11. Ed Chilada

    Ed Chilada Guest

    On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 08:56:56 -0500, DOCJohnson
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:21:54 GMT, Ed Chilada <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 11:27:39 GMT, Ed Chilada <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've tried partition magic 8, but it doesn't seem to see USB drives at
    >>>all. Anything else I can use?

    >>Cheers for all the help guys. It seems like I'm going to be trying one
    >>or more of those other OS. The link to the Windows program in the
    >>thread that Larry mentioned doesn't work anymore, sadly!
    >>
    >>Thanks again

    >Try this link: for the Windows version:
    >
    >http://www.ritekusa.com/upload/SDFix2G_104.rar

    That worked fine! My 2GB SD card is 2GB again, and I shan't be
    formatting it in my camera ever again! Thanks very much everyone!
    Ed Chilada, Jul 13, 2007
  12. Ed Chilada

    John Bean Guest

    On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 10:06:04 GMT, Ed Chilada
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 08:56:56 -0500, DOCJohnson
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:21:54 GMT, Ed Chilada <> wrote:

    >>>Cheers for all the help guys. It seems like I'm going to be trying one
    >>>or more of those other OS. The link to the Windows program in the
    >>>thread that Larry mentioned doesn't work anymore, sadly!
    >>>
    >>>Thanks again

    >>Try this link: for the Windows version:
    >>
    >>http://www.ritekusa.com/upload/SDFix2G_104.rar

    >That worked fine! My 2GB SD card is 2GB again, and I shan't be
    >formatting it in my camera ever again! Thanks very much everyone!

    Glad you got an easy fix :)

    I don't recommend formatting a card with XP's usual
    formatter, it has its own problems. If you don't want to
    trust the camera you can trust this instead:

    http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html

    Free, of course :)

    --
    John Bean