Formating Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Richard, Dec 19, 2007.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    I run Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have some problemes with OS and I
    want to format my hard drive and reintall it. Ok, there is a big problem:
    1. In COMPUTER MANAGEMENT i can not format the hard drive. (Errors)
    2. With PARTITION MAGIC 8.0 i can not format my hard drive. (Load the GUI
    and then computer restars or is blocked, only with RESTART BUTTON)
    3. With Partition Commander Professional 9 i can not format my hard drive.
    (Load Files, VIDEO-??.sys can not load and some files)
    4. With FDisk I can not format my hard drive (the same problem)
    5. With Windows Vista DVD I can not format my hard drive. (errors)

    OK... Now What Can I Do To Format That Hard Drive??? Jesus Vista...
    SOMEBODY LITTLE HELP PLEASE. FAST, AND SOMETHING WHAT CAN WORK, i don't want
    to have another errors... My hard drive is OK, not damaged or crash.

    I read on the Internet that Partition Magica 8 is not Compatible with Vista
    and Commander Professional 10 is not compatible with VISTA 64-bit :|.

    With XP Disc I tried but I can't.

    Richard, Dec 19, 2007

  2. Richard

    Carlos Guest

    Richard,
    This is just a hunch, but it is based on a real case I had to solve a couple
    of days ago.
    Your HD or Vista might not be the problem and a formatting might not be
    necessary.
    Check your memory sticks.
    If you have two, use only one at a time.
    If you have only one, borrow one from a friend.
    Memory failures make funny things on computers.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 19, 2007

  3. Richard

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Richard.

    Just to put my mind at ease, please confirm that you are NOT trying to saw
    off the limb that Vista is sitting on.

    That is, NO operating system will format the drive from which it has just
    booted. Even in MS-DOS days, we had to boot from a floppy in order to FDISK
    the hard drive.

    Yes, I see that your items 4 and 5 apparently cover this, but I just want to
    be sure.

    Can you mount that HD in separate computer and format it there?

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Dec 19, 2007
  4. Richard

    John Barnes Guest

    Both Carlos (memory) and RC (try to format in another computer) are great
    ideas. You don't say what your errors are, but you don't format a hard
    drive, you format a partition. Did you delete the old partition and create a
    new one, then format?

    John Barnes, Dec 21, 2007
  5. Richard

    Guest

    On Dec 19, 12:20 am, Richard <>
    wrote:
    > I run Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I have some problemes with OS and I
    > want to format my hard drive and reintall it. Ok, there is a big problem:
    > 1. In COMPUTER MANAGEMENT i can not format the hard drive. (Errors)
    > 2. With PARTITION MAGIC 8.0 i can not format my hard drive. (Load the GUI
    > and then computer restars or is blocked, only with RESTART BUTTON)
    > 3. With Partition Commander Professional 9 i can not format my hard drive.
    > (Load Files, VIDEO-??.sys can not load and some files)
    > 4. With FDisk I can not format my hard drive (the same problem)
    > 5. With Windows Vista DVD I can not format my hard drive. (errors)
    >
    > OK... Now What Can I Do To Format That Hard Drive??? Jesus Vista...
    > SOMEBODY LITTLE HELP PLEASE. FAST, AND SOMETHING WHAT CAN WORK, i don't want
    > to have another errors... My hard drive is OK, not damaged or crash.
    >
    > I read on the Internet that Partition Magica 8 is not Compatible with Vista
    > and Commander Professional 10 is not compatible with VISTA 64-bit :|.
    >
    > With XP Disc I tried but I can't.

    Partition Commander is itself a bootable CD. I'm using version 10, so
    I don't recall exactly how version 9 works. If you are just trying to
    wipe the disk, version 9 should do the trick. Of course, a boot floppy
    could do it as well.

    Actually, to be clearer, you can install partition commander on a
    windows os, but I don't find that a good idea. My recollection is it
    sets up some operations, then boots to run some software that it
    loaded, then boots back to windows. I don't see the point because you
    can just boot with the CD.

    , Dec 21, 2007
  6. You cannot format the system volume in Disk Manager because the system is
    running. It is the one partition that cannot be formatted while the system
    is up. The fact that you have a problem loading the utility files in order
    to do the format does suggest a memory problem. I know nothing about your
    memory configuration, but if you have two sticks, see what happens if you
    remove the first memory stick and move the second into the first slot. If
    you can succeed in loading the files then do not format the hard drive.
    Investigate the memory for possible replacement.

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 21, 2007