format war to rage for 2 years

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nova, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. Nova

    Nova Guest

    seems blu-ray finally secured fox, so the movies studios are well divided..

    http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14682

    Experts predict long battle for supremacy between Blu-ray and HD DVD.

    The recent decision by 20th Century Fox to use Sony's Blu-ray
    next-generation DVD format, rather than Toshiba's rival HD DVD, is
    likely to spark a lengthy format war, industry experts have warned.

    But the resulting discord could revive opportunities for on-demand TV,
    according to Gartner.

    Laura Behrens, a principal research analyst at Gartner, explained that
    the motion picture industry hoped to introduce the next-generation DVD
    on a single format late in 2005.

    "But the studios are now evenly divided between Blu-ray and HD DVD,
    guaranteeing a long market battle," she warned.

    "The costs will be immense, in everything from realigned strategic
    relationships to manufacturing costs to consumer packaging and marketing.

    "Eventually one format will win, or companies will develop affordable
    technology to use both, but Fox's decision will delay that moment until
    at least 2007."

    Blu-ray technology, backed by companies including Sony, Apple, Dell, HP,
    Panasonic, Sharp and Samsung, together studios including Disney, MGM and
    now Fox, aims to put 50GB of data on a two-layer disc, enough for more
    than four hours of HD content.

    However, the completely new storage architecture is more expensive to
    produce than HD DVD hardware and software.

    In contrast HD DVD will hold up to 45GB on three layers, but discs can
    be made in today's factories with relatively minor modifications.

    The technology is backed by Toshiba, NEC, Sanyo and others, with
    promises of players on the market for Christmas this year. Paramount,
    NBC-Universal, Warner and New Line have announced plans to release about
    70 movies in the HD DVD format this year.

    Gartner expects that content owners will need to direct some of their
    attention away from the disc format war to the existing HD channel
    offered by television and create video-on-demand libraries and IP
    television.

    These providers will not completely displace DVD technology among
    consumers, but they can gain market share while the format war rages.

    The analyst firm advised technology providers to "wait no longer" and
    cater to both formats if they can. "If you can't, decide whether to act
    aggressively for a big payoff or defensively to minimise losses if your
    choice doesn't win," said Behrens

    Nova, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Nova

    Mutlley Guest

    Any one smell a tri standard DVD player coming out soon??

    Mutlley, Aug 11, 2005

  3. news.xtra.co.nz, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Nova

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > seems blu-ray finally secured fox, so the movies studios are well divided..
    >

    > http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14682
    >
    > Experts predict long battle for supremacy between Blu-ray and HD DVD.
    >

    > The recent decision by 20th Century Fox to use Sony's Blu-ray
    > next-generation DVD format, rather than Toshiba's rival HD DVD, is
    > likely to spark a lengthy format war, industry experts have warned.

    I wonder if the same arguments apply to this as did to the Betamax/VHS format
    differences way back...Could you _engineer_ a situation where one of the
    formats just dominated? Given that the success of VHS wasn't strictly due to
    content, it might be possible...

    --
    IT Management. Tel: +64 3 479 5478
    Web and database hosting, Co-location. Web: http://www.wic.co.nz

    Stu Fleming, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Nova

    Mark Remfrey Guest

    "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    > Nova wrote:
    >> seems blu-ray finally secured fox, so the movies studios are well
    >> divided..
    >>

    >> http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14682
    >>
    >> Experts predict long battle for supremacy between Blu-ray and HD DVD.
    >>

    >> The recent decision by 20th Century Fox to use Sony's Blu-ray
    >> next-generation DVD format, rather than Toshiba's rival HD DVD, is likely
    >> to spark a lengthy format war, industry experts have warned.

    > I wonder if the same arguments apply to this as did to the Betamax/VHS
    > format differences way back...Could you _engineer_ a situation where one
    > of the formats just dominated? Given that the success of VHS wasn't
    > strictly due to content, it might be possible...

    A lot of that depends on how much money you're willing to throw at it. Sony
    will win that battle hands down.

    Regards,
    Mark Remfrey

    Mark Remfrey, Aug 11, 2005
  7. Nova

    Nova Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Nova" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>seems blu-ray finally secured fox, so the movies studios are well
    >>divided..
    >>

    >>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14682
    >>
    >>Experts predict long battle for supremacy between Blu-ray and HD DVD.
    >>

    > Blu-ray will win. Hands down.

    I am hoping so, it is definitely the more advanced technology and who
    wouldn't want the larger capacity??

    The only advantage of hd-dvd is supposedly the manufacturing costs will
    be a lot lower to start with which of course is a big selling point for
    them and i guess for the end user as they won't probably have to pay as
    much but that will be just at the start, as time goes on the costs
    should be the same..

    blu-ray has the advantage that it will be in the playstation too so they
    already have a lot of blu-ray customers.

    Nova, Aug 11, 2005
  8. Nova

    Max Burke Guest

    > Mark Remfrey scribbled:

    >> "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    >> I wonder if the same arguments apply to this as did to the
    >> Betamax/VHS format differences way back...Could you _engineer_ a
    >> situation where one of the formats just dominated? Given that the
    >> success of VHS wasn't strictly due to content, it might be
    >> possible...

    > A lot of that depends on how much money you're willing to throw at
    > it. Sony will win that battle hands down.

    They lost the Betamax 'war' in the consumer market even though many said
    Betamax was the technically superior videotape recording/playback system,
    plus the millions Sony invested in that technology.

    The same applies here..

    It's going to be the system [backers] that can provide the cheapest/easiest
    to use recorders/players and the availabilty of content first that will
    win...

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Aug 11, 2005
  9. Nova

    Murray Symon Guest

    On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 13:19:09 +1200, news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "Nova" <> wrote in message
    >> seems blu-ray finally secured fox, so the movies studios are well
    >> divided..
    >>

    >> http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14682
    >>
    >> Experts predict long battle for supremacy between Blu-ray and HD DVD.
    >>

    > Blu-ray will win. Hands down.

    It's certainly got the cooler name

    Murray Symon, Aug 11, 2005
  10. Nova

    Jerry Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >
    >> "Nova" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> seems blu-ray finally secured fox, so the movies studios are well
    >>> divided..
    >>>

    >>> http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14682
    >>>
    >>> Experts predict long battle for supremacy between Blu-ray and HD DVD.
    >>>

    >> Blu-ray will win. Hands down.
    >>

    > I am hoping so, it is definitely the more advanced technology and who
    > wouldn't want the larger capacity??
    >
    > The only advantage of hd-dvd is supposedly the manufacturing costs will
    > be a lot lower to start with which of course is a big selling point for
    > them and i guess for the end user as they won't probably have to pay as
    > much but that will be just at the start, as time goes on the costs
    > should be the same..
    >
    > blu-ray has the advantage that it will be in the playstation too so they
    > already have a lot of blu-ray customers.

    The PS3 isn't likely to be out in Japan until late 2006, NZ won't see it
    until 2007 so that isn't likely to be a big factor

    Jerry, Aug 11, 2005
  11. Nova

    Nova Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > Nova wrote:
    >
    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Nova" <> wrote in message

    >>> Blu-ray will win. Hands down.
    >>>

    >> I am hoping so, it is definitely the more advanced technology and who
    >> wouldn't want the larger capacity??
    >>
    >> The only advantage of hd-dvd is supposedly the manufacturing costs
    >> will be a lot lower to start with which of course is a big selling
    >> point for them and i guess for the end user as they won't probably
    >> have to pay as much but that will be just at the start, as time goes
    >> on the costs should be the same..
    >>
    >> blu-ray has the advantage that it will be in the playstation too so
    >> they already have a lot of blu-ray customers.

    > The PS3 isn't likely to be out in Japan until late 2006, NZ won't see it
    > until 2007 so that isn't likely to be a big factor

    Considering most people won't want to jump in and buy a player until
    they know what is going to happen 2006 won't be a problem, NZ won't
    decide anything our market is far too tiny to make any difference in
    what format will win..
    If the prefiction that most people will wait and the format will war
    will rage for a couple of years, well all the playstation 3 customers
    suddenly becomming blu-ray customers could have an effect.

    how many playstation customers are there currently?

    Nova, Aug 11, 2005
  12. Nova

    Richard Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > The PS3 isn't likely to be out in Japan until late 2006, NZ won't see it
    > until 2007 so that isn't likely to be a big factor

    Considering the lag we had here with the release of DVD, I think that it will be
    out at about the right time.

    Plus there isnt even any HDTV in NZ..

    I have no interest in either format as they are both DRM'd to hell

    Richard, Aug 11, 2005
  13. Nova

    Jerry Guest

    Nova wrote:

    >>> I am hoping so, it is definitely the more advanced technology and who
    >>> wouldn't want the larger capacity??
    >>>
    >>> The only advantage of hd-dvd is supposedly the manufacturing costs
    >>> will be a lot lower to start with which of course is a big selling
    >>> point for them and i guess for the end user as they won't probably
    >>> have to pay as much but that will be just at the start, as time goes
    >>> on the costs should be the same..
    >>>
    >>> blu-ray has the advantage that it will be in the playstation too so
    >>> they already have a lot of blu-ray customers.

    >> The PS3 isn't likely to be out in Japan until late 2006, NZ won't see
    >> it until 2007 so that isn't likely to be a big factor

    > Considering most people won't want to jump in and buy a player until
    > they know what is going to happen 2006 won't be a problem, NZ won't
    > decide anything our market is far too tiny to make any difference in
    > what format will win..
    > If the prefiction that most people will wait and the format will war
    > will rage for a couple of years, well all the playstation 3 customers
    > suddenly becomming blu-ray customers could have an effect.
    >
    > how many playstation customers are there currently?

    Lots, but none with blu-ray playstations. From your original post,
    "Eventually one format will win, or companies will develop affordable
    technology to use both, but Fox's decision will delay that moment until
    at least 2007." - which is about the time the PS3 will probably come out
    in most of the world.

    I'll bet on blu-ray though, what are the current odds at the TAB?

    Jerry, Aug 11, 2005
  14. Nova

    steve Guest

    Nova wrote:
    > seems blu-ray finally secured fox, so the movies studios are well divided..
    >

    > http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14682
    >
    > Experts predict long battle for supremacy between Blu-ray and HD DVD.

    The winner will be users ripping & burning to a standard format....and
    the movie folk will have only themselves to blame.

    steve, Aug 11, 2005
  15. Nova

    steve Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> Mark Remfrey scribbled:

    >>> "Stu Fleming" <> wrote in message
    >>> I wonder if the same arguments apply to this as did to the
    >>> Betamax/VHS format differences way back...Could you _engineer_ a
    >>> situation where one of the formats just dominated? Given that the
    >>> success of VHS wasn't strictly due to content, it might be
    >>> possible...

    >> A lot of that depends on how much money you're willing to throw at
    >> it. Sony will win that battle hands down.

    > They lost the Betamax 'war' in the consumer market even though many said
    > Betamax was the technically superior videotape recording/playback
    > system, plus the millions Sony invested in that technology.

    Yeah...I thought the same thing, but thikning on it.....that was then
    and this is now.

    Sony isn't trying to hog the format to their own hardware....which is
    what cost them victory in the Beta / VHS war in the 1980s. Belatedly,
    they did license it to the likes of Sanyo and one or two others....but
    it was too late. (I had a Sanyo Beta VCR for 11 years....great little
    machine until it finally died).

    > The same applies here..
    >
    > It's going to be the system [backers] that can provide the
    > cheapest/easiest to use recorders/players and the availabilty of content
    > first that will win...

    Sure.....and you can't rule out Sony. They own a lot of content as well
    as designing the formats and selling the hardware.

    Doesn't mean they will win, but today isn't really comparable to beta vs
    VHS....though the same rules apply generally to the industry as a whole.
    As you say, some mixture of price / content will win the day...and that
    will come down to timing (probably).

    steve, Aug 11, 2005
  16. Nova

    Mutlley Guest

    Richard <> wrote:

    >Jerry wrote:
    >
    >> The PS3 isn't likely to be out in Japan until late 2006, NZ won't see it
    >> until 2007 so that isn't likely to be a big factor

    >Considering the lag we had here with the release of DVD, I think that it will be
    >out at about the right time.
    >
    >Plus there isnt even any HDTV in NZ..
    >
    >I have no interest in either format as they are both DRM'd to hell

    Plus who wants to pay a bucket of money for a player that will most
    likely only be used on regular PAL tvs??

    Mutlley, Aug 11, 2005
  17. In article <>,
    steve <> wrote:

    >.....and you can't rule out Sony. They own a lot of content as well
    >as designing the formats and selling the hardware.

    That content was the reason why Sony were unable to come out with the
    iPod, even though they already had access to all the necessary
    ingredients before Apple did. It was just too disruptive to their
    content division's existing revenue model. Think of it as the opposite
    of synergy. Antergy? Dissynergy?

    The same situation could apply again. If there's anything potentially
    disruptive about the new optical media, you can bet that Sony will do
    everything they can to stop it.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 22, 2005
  18. In article <>, Richard <>
    wrote:

    >I have no interest in either format as they are both DRM'd to hell

    The DRM will be cracked. Because the schemes were designed under
    conditions of ironclad confidentiality and secrecy, restricted to the
    involvement of a small number of bright people, which is precisely the
    opposite of the conditions you need to design a robust cryptographic
    system.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 22, 2005
  19. In article <>,
    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:

    >news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    >>>seems blu-ray finally secured fox, so the movies studios are well
    >>>divided..
    >>>http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Details.aspx?NewsId=14682
    >>>Experts predict long battle for supremacy between Blu-ray and HD DVD.

    >> Blu-ray will win. Hands down.

    >it's funny, I "like" HD DVD myself... then again I don't really care
    >that much.

    Improvements in capacities of optical formats don't come along as often
    as those for magnetic media. So every time you take a leap, you might as
    well make it a big one. That favours Blu-Ray over HD-DVD. Yes, I keep
    hearing how it's more expensive to manufacture, but that cost can be
    amortized over millions of customers over the next several years, so I
    don't see it as a big deal, or at most only a temporary one.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Aug 22, 2005