Format war over already?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Impmon, Feb 26, 2008.

  1. Impmon

    Impmon Guest

    <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-drop-hd-dvd-xbox/story.aspx?guid=%7B19A0D716-0723-491F-8FB5-C2EBDD06334E%7D>

    Hmmm... looks like Beta player is not alone anymore. Quoted from the
    web site (chock full of ads I might add) in case you can't access:

    SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Microsoft Corp. will no longer make HD
    DVD players for its popular Xbox 360 video game system following the
    triumph of Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray in the battle over the high-definition
    video format.

    Sony prevailed over Toshiba Corp., which recently conceded the format
    for high-definition video to its rival after several Hollywood studios
    and major retailers decided to back Blu-ray.

    As a result of those decisions, Microsoft is withdrawing from HD DVD,
    said Blair Westlake, vice president of the software giant's media and
    entertainment division.

    "Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360,
    but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support
    for all Xbox 360 HD DVD players in the market," he said in a
    statement.

    Microsoft had been one of the technology giants to support the Toshiba
    format. But major movie studios, including Sony Pictures and Walt
    Disney Co., picked the Blu-ray format to distribute high-definition
    DVDs.

    Microsoft does not expect the decision to stop making HD DVD players
    to have an impact on its video game business.

    Impmon, Feb 26, 2008

  2. Impmon

    Guest

    On Feb 26, 10:04 am, Impmon <> wrote:
    > Hmmm... looks like Beta player is not alone anymore.  Quoted from the
    > web site (chock full of ads I might add) in case you can't access:

    Yep, it's been an eventful couple of weeks. I'm just glad it's
    over... now I can get back to watching movies.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com

    , Feb 26, 2008

  3. Impmon

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, Impmon <> wrote:
    ><http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-drop-hd-dvd-xbox/story.aspx?gu
    >id=%7B19A0D716-0723-491F-8FB5-C2EBDD06334E%7D>
    >
    >Hmmm... looks like Beta player is not alone anymore. Quoted from the
    >web site (chock full of ads I might add) in case you can't access:
    >
    >SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Microsoft Corp. will no longer make HD
    >DVD players for its popular Xbox 360 video game system following the
    >triumph of Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray in the battle over the high-definition
    >video format.
    >
    >Sony prevailed over Toshiba Corp., which recently conceded the format
    >for high-definition video to its rival after several Hollywood studios
    >and major retailers decided to back Blu-ray.
    >
    >As a result of those decisions, Microsoft is withdrawing from HD DVD,
    >said Blair Westlake, vice president of the software giant's media and
    >entertainment division.
    >
    >"Xbox will no longer manufacture new HD DVD players for the Xbox 360,
    >but we will continue to provide standard product and warranty support
    >for all Xbox 360 HD DVD players in the market," he said in a
    >statement.
    >
    >Microsoft had been one of the technology giants to support the Toshiba
    >format. But major movie studios, including Sony Pictures and Walt
    >Disney Co., picked the Blu-ray format to distribute high-definition
    >DVDs.
    >
    >Microsoft does not expect the decision to stop making HD DVD players
    >to have an impact on its video game business.

    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=203249984&dcaid=17904 $49.99

    LOL!!!!

    GMAN, Feb 26, 2008
  4. Impmon

    Tarkus Guest

    Impmon wrote:
    > Microsoft does not expect the decision to stop making HD DVD players
    > to have an impact on its video game business.

    Agreed. They were destined for 3rd place either way.

    Tarkus, Feb 27, 2008
  5. Impmon

    Guest

    On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 16:04:42 GMT, Impmon <> wrote:

    ><http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-drop-hd-dvd-xbox/story.aspx?guid=%7B19A0D716-0723-491F-8FB5-C2EBDD06334E%7D>
    >
    >Hmmm... looks like Beta player is not alone anymore. Quoted from the
    >web site (chock full of ads I might add) in case you can't access:
    >
    >SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Microsoft Corp. will no longer make HD
    >DVD players for its popular Xbox 360 video game system following the
    >triumph of Sony Corp.'s Blu-ray in the battle over the high-definition
    >video format.

    OK, I got to ask.....
    What does HD-DVD have to do with Xbox360?
    Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about games or game machines.
    Games do not interest an old fart like me.
    All I know is the Xbox360 is for playing games and that's it.
    I am assuming the game must come on the DVD ?????

    Please explain !

    Thanks

    Jerry

    , Feb 27, 2008
  6. Impmon

    Lyrik Guest

    Den 27.02.2008 kl. 10:32 skrev <>:

    > OK, I got to ask.....
    > What does HD-DVD have to do with Xbox360?
    > Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about games or game machines.
    > Games do not interest an old fart like me.
    > All I know is the Xbox360 is for playing games and that's it.
    > I am assuming the game must come on the DVD ?????
    >
    > Please explain !
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Jerry

    Well The Xbox 360 live have an add on which is a HD-DVD Player that is
    able to play HD-DVD High Definition discs on a HD-TV -it plays movies, so
    to speak. To play the movies the add-on has to be connected to the XBOX
    live and to the TV.
    An interesting thing is, that if You do not have an XBOX live, and You buy
    the add-on, then You can use it's USB to connect to a PC. You would be
    able to play the High Def. discs on the PC then.
    Or one can use the connection to "transfer" the content to the hard drive.
    With the right kind of programmes.

    --
    Greetings Jens "Lyrik" Bech

    Lyrik, Feb 27, 2008
  7. Impmon

    Guest

    On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:49:33 +0100, Lyrik <> wrote:

    >Den 27.02.2008 kl. 10:32 skrev <>:
    >

    >> OK, I got to ask.....
    >> What does HD-DVD have to do with Xbox360?
    >> Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about games or game machines.
    >> Games do not interest an old fart like me.
    >> All I know is the Xbox360 is for playing games and that's it.
    >> I am assuming the game must come on the DVD ?????
    >>
    >> Please explain !
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Jerry

    >Well The Xbox 360 live have an add on which is a HD-DVD Player that is
    >able to play HD-DVD High Definition discs on a HD-TV -it plays movies, so
    >to speak. To play the movies the add-on has to be connected to the XBOX
    >live and to the TV.
    >An interesting thing is, that if You do not have an XBOX live, and You buy
    >the add-on, then You can use it's USB to connect to a PC. You would be
    >able to play the High Def. discs on the PC then.
    >Or one can use the connection to "transfer" the content to the hard drive.
    >With the right kind of programmes.

    Thanks for the info.
    I never knew they could do more than games.

    Jerry

    , Feb 28, 2008
  8. Impmon

    Lyrik Guest

    Den 28.02.2008 kl. 06:26 skrev <>:

    > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:49:33 +0100, Lyrik <> wrote:
    >
    >> Den 27.02.2008 kl. 10:32 skrev <>:
    >>

    >>> OK, I got to ask.....
    >>> What does HD-DVD have to do with Xbox360?
    >>> Sorry, I know absolutely nothing about games or game machines.
    >>> Games do not interest an old fart like me.
    >>> All I know is the Xbox360 is for playing games and that's it.
    >>> I am assuming the game must come on the DVD ?????
    >>>
    >>> Please explain !
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Jerry

    >> Well The Xbox 360 live have an add on which is a HD-DVD Player that is
    >> able to play HD-DVD High Definition discs on a HD-TV -it plays movies,
    >> so
    >> to speak. To play the movies the add-on has to be connected to the XBOX
    >> live and to the TV.
    >> An interesting thing is, that if You do not have an XBOX live, and You
    >> buy
    >> the add-on, then You can use it's USB to connect to a PC. You would be
    >> able to play the High Def. discs on the PC then.
    >> Or one can use the connection to "transfer" the content to the hard
    >> drive.
    >> With the right kind of programmes.

    > Thanks for the info.
    > I never knew they could do more than games.
    >
    > Jerry

    Well, You know that the Play Station 3 (PS3) can play Blu-Ray High. Def.
    discs right out of the box? That was a smart move as it jumpstarted
    Blu-Ray High. Def. films.

    --
    Greetings Jens "Lyrik" Bech

    Lyrik, Feb 28, 2008
  9. Impmon

    Guest

    On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:49:11 +0100, Lyrik <> wrote:

    >Den 28.02.2008 kl. 06:26 skrev <>:

    >>> Well The Xbox 360 live have an add on which is a HD-DVD Player that is
    >>> able to play HD-DVD High Definition discs on a HD-TV -it plays movies,
    >>> so
    >>> to speak. To play the movies the add-on has to be connected to the XBOX
    >>> live and to the TV.
    >>> An interesting thing is, that if You do not have an XBOX live, and You
    >>> buy
    >>> the add-on, then You can use it's USB to connect to a PC. You would be
    >>> able to play the High Def. discs on the PC then.
    >>> Or one can use the connection to "transfer" the content to the hard
    >>> drive.
    >>> With the right kind of programmes.

    >> Thanks for the info.
    >> I never knew they could do more than games.
    >>
    >> Jerry

    >Well, You know that the Play Station 3 (PS3) can play Blu-Ray High. Def.
    >discs right out of the box? That was a smart move as it jumpstarted
    >Blu-Ray High. Def. films.

    I didn't know that before, but I do now. Like I said, I dont use
    games, so I never knew anything about that stuff. I actually thought
    they were ONLY for games, which always made me wonder why people dont
    just use their computer for games. The one thing I do know is that
    the newer computers are capable of some pretty highly advanced games.
    At least a little higher advanced than Solitare that comes with
    Windows :)

    , Feb 29, 2008
  10. On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 21:19:17 -0600, wrote:

    >On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:49:11 +0100, Lyrik <> wrote:

    >>> Thanks for the info.
    >>> I never knew they could do more than games.
    >>>
    >>> Jerry

    >>Well, You know that the Play Station 3 (PS3) can play Blu-Ray High. Def.
    >>discs right out of the box? That was a smart move as it jumpstarted
    >>Blu-Ray High. Def. films.

    >I didn't know that before, but I do now. Like I said, I dont use
    >games, so I never knew anything about that stuff. I actually thought
    >they were ONLY for games, which always made me wonder why people dont
    >just use their computer for games. The one thing I do know is that
    >the newer computers are capable of some pretty highly advanced games.
    >At least a little higher advanced than Solitare that comes with
    >Windows :)

    PC gaming is ahead of and better than console platforms.

    The PS3 IS a computer. I run Linux, four flavors on mine.

    It is also a home theater, A/V rack quality Blu Ray, High Definition
    Film media reader / playback device with advanced audio features.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Feb 29, 2008
  11. Impmon

    Lyrik Guest

    Den 29.02.2008 kl. 05:07 skrev StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt
    <>:

    > PC gaming is ahead of and better than console platforms.
    >
    > The PS3 IS a computer. I run Linux, four flavors on mine.
    >
    > It is also a home theater, A/V rack quality Blu Ray, High Definition
    > Film media reader / playback device with advanced audio features.

    Could Yo give it a thorough review, from an owners wiev?
    I hear that it uses much current and can get really hot. Is that true? How
    good is it as a computer?

    --
    Greetings Jens "Lyrik" Bech

    Lyrik, Mar 1, 2008