    Is there any possibility to remove data which cannot be restored while using
    some applications specified for that?

    heyoo

    MZ, Jul 25, 2009

  2. MZ

    philo Guest

    MZ wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > It is common knowledge that while formatting memory/hard disk, data are not
    > being completly removed? These data can be restored.
    > Is there any possibility to remove data which cannot be restored while using
    > some applications specified for that?
    >
    > heyoo

    Yes

    third party software

    Google for file shredder

    or secure wipe

    philo, Jul 25, 2009

  3. MZ

    MZ Guest

    Uzytkownik "philo" <> napisal w wiadomosci
    > MZ wrote:
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> It is common knowledge that while formatting memory/hard disk, data are
    >> not being completly removed? These data can be restored.
    >> Is there any possibility to remove data which cannot be restored while
    >> using some applications specified for that?
    >>
    >> heyoo

    > Yes
    >

    > third party software
    >
    > Google for file shredder
    >

    > or secure wipe

    Thank you very much
    heyoo

    MZ, Jul 25, 2009
  4. MZ

    JD Guest

    philo wrote:
    > MZ wrote:
    >> Hello!
    >>
    >> It is common knowledge that while formatting memory/hard disk, data
    >> are not being completly removed? These data can be restored.
    >> Is there any possibility to remove data which cannot be restored while
    >> using some applications specified for that?
    >>
    >> heyoo
    >>

    > Yes
    >

    > third party software
    >
    > Google for file shredder
    >

    > or secure wipe

    DBAN (http://www.dban.org/) is also very good.

    JD

    JD, Jul 25, 2009
  5. MZ

    Paul Guest

    MZ wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > It is common knowledge that while formatting memory/hard disk, data are not
    > being completly removed? These data can be restored.
    > Is there any possibility to remove data which cannot be restored while using
    > some applications specified for that?
    >
    > heyoo

    There is also the "cipher" command built into Windows. I tried it,
    and it didn't seem to run long enough, so I cannot be sure it works
    properly.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814599

    cipher /w:c: # erase all slack space on c:

    If the command reports access denied, it could be related to this.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264064

    OK, I just tested "cipher" on a FAT32 volume, and I think I've
    figured out what it is doing. It *tries* to make one huge file
    from all the slack space, so it can overwrite it. Since FAT32 has
    a 4GB limit on individual files, "cipher" fails to acquire all
    the slack space on FAT32. Likely, cipher would erase all the
    slack space on an NTFS file system, since the max file size there
    is not limited to 4GB. So you cannot trust "cipher" on a FAT32
    volume.

    *******

    DBAN is good if you need to wipe *everything* off the disk.
    It erases the whole disk.

    http://www.dban.org

    This is another "whole disk eraser" which will remove everything.
    Read all the documentation, before using this. This program
    uses an erase command inside the hard drive itself. It also
    involves passwords, which you may want to record and paste
    onto the drive itself.

    http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

    One problem hard drive erasing tools have, is with a
    Host Protected Area. If you have an HPA defined on a
    disk, it may not be a simple matter to ensure it is
    erased. Just a warning. If someone placed sensitive
    information inside an HPA, to make trouble, then you'd
    want to spend extra time to make sure an HPA was not
    present.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Host_protected_area

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 25, 2009