    Thanks Much , tim

    --
    .....( remove the " 6 " to email reply )
    Tim Kettring, Dec 21, 2003

  2. Tim Kettring

    Budweiser Guest

    either change your boot settings in the bios or go for this
    this is assuming you have correctly formatted and set the partition to
    active etc
    boot with your win start up floppy("dos disk")

    it likes to create a drive for itself and thus moves your normal lettering
    one place further up

    ie---if the cd drive was d: it will temporarily be e:

    after boot on the floppy from the c: prompt change to the e: drive and
    then type setup

    windows will do the rest----sit back and pray

    Budweiser, Dec 21, 2003

  3. Tim Kettring

    Tim Kettring Guest

    I booted on the 'dos startup floppy' after formatC: and Scan disk

    fdisk shows " primary dos partition already exsists "

    a: gets floppy OK

    b: gets same floppy ( I guess OK )

    c: gets hard drive but dir gets ' file not found ' instead if directory

    d: gets " invalid drive specification "

    e: gets " invalid drive specification "

    f: gets " invalid drive specification "

    it just doesnt see the CD drive at all

    Thanks tim

    --
    .....( remove the " 6 " to email reply )

    Tim Kettring, Dec 22, 2003
  4. Tim Kettring

    Tim Kettring Guest

    I also cant figure out how to get into bios , its a Dell optiplex
    Gxi....none of the function keys seem to do it

    --
    .....( remove the " 6 " to email reply )

    Tim Kettring, Dec 22, 2003
  5. Tim Kettring

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Tim Kettring said:

    > I booted on the 'dos startup floppy' after formatC: and Scan disk
    >
    > fdisk shows " primary dos partition already exsists "
    >
    > a: gets floppy OK
    >
    > b: gets same floppy ( I guess OK )
    >
    > c: gets hard drive but dir gets ' file not found ' instead if directory
    >
    > d: gets " invalid drive specification "
    >
    > e: gets " invalid drive specification "
    >
    > f: gets " invalid drive specification "
    >
    > it just doesnt see the CD drive at all
    >
    > Thanks tim

    Does your boot disc actually contain and load CD drivers when you boot from it?

    Brian H¹©, Dec 22, 2003
  6. "Tim Kettring" <> wrote in message
    > I have a comp on which the op-system was screwy
    >
    > I used a " dos startup disk " and 'formatted' the hard drive , then did a
    > 'scan disk' all OK , but it would NOT boot from the CD drive
    >
    > What am I doing wr

    Download a boot disk with a universal cdrom driver on it from this site

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Boot up with the floppy disk. After you gain access to the CD-ROM drive,
    type the following lines, pressing ENTER after each line

    sys c:
    x:\setup.exe

    where x is the drive letter of your CD-ROM drive.
    WorkingClassHero, Dec 22, 2003
  7. Tim Kettring

    mark mandel Guest

    > I booted on the 'dos startup floppy' after formatC: and Scan disk
    >
    > fdisk shows " primary dos partition already exsists "
    >
    > a: gets floppy OK
    >
    > b: gets same floppy ( I guess OK )
    >
    > c: gets hard drive but dir gets ' file not found ' instead if directory
    >
    > d: gets " invalid drive specification "
    >
    > e: gets " invalid drive specification "
    >
    > f: gets " invalid drive specification "
    >
    > it just doesnt see the CD drive at all
    >
    > Thanks tim

    think it's MCDEX and there may be another one besides). Also are you
    selecting "Start with CD ROM support" as the option.

    mark mandel, Dec 22, 2003
  8. Tim Kettring

    Budweiser Guest

    i think the dell machines are similar to compaq---as in they have a small
    hidden partition on the harddrive that contains the diagnostic tools etc
    if you have completely erased your drive you will probably have erased it
    download another copy from here
    http://support.euro.dell.com/uk/en/filelib/system.asp?sid=PLX_PNT_PNT_GXi

    you may be able to use a generic windows boot disc to get the cd drive
    recognised
    however i had similar troubles on a "medion" machine---it would not play
    unless the diagnostic partition was installed --no access to bios etc

    Budweiser, Dec 22, 2003
  9. In article <bs5cvv$9lb6m$-berlin.de>,
    says...

    >I also cant figure out how to get into bios , its a Dell optiplex
    >Gxi....none of the function keys seem to do it

    Ctrl-Alt-Enter or F2 should work. I'm not sure if the GXi can boot from a CD.
    Consider getting a bios flash upgrade from the Dell site; that may allow it if
    the current bios doesn't.

    What OS you want to install? XP or 2k you should try to do it by booting the
    install CD if you can. Follow WorkingClassHero's post for 9x or ME. Per the
    Dell site, this system doesn't come faster than a 233, so running XP would be
    a push. I wonder if you can put more than 128 meg of RAM in this box too.
    Another Airnet User, Dec 22, 2003
  10. Tim Kettring

    Tim Kettring Guest

    Thanks Much , thats what it was--no CD driver on the 'dos startup disk'

    Back on line now :)

    Tim Kettring, Dec 24, 2003