Format & reinstall XP problem?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Have fully formatted, not quick option, HDD and reinstalled XP. At bootup I
    now have 2 XP's in boot menu! I thought a full format removed everything so
    why have I got this? I have successfully resolved similar situation before
    by following the steps here:
    http://tweakhomepc.virtualave.net/dual/removedualboot.html
    Only difference then was that the 2nd XP was on a different partition, this
    time they're on the same one, drive's not partitioned. The file "boot.ini"
    does not exist on this PC and yes I have searched hidden system files. I
    have an almost identical PC and "boot.ini" is on that in the root folder of
    C:, only real difference in the PC's is that this one has 2HDD's and a
    number of partitions.
    I have only installed XP, no chipset drivers or anything as yet. Selecting
    the 2nd XP PC boots normally, selecting 1st XP the PC boots slowly but to
    the new XP install, the old one doesn't exist. I don't know what's going on
    here and any advice appreciated, in particular why I have no "boot.ini".

    --

    Kenny

    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 1, 2003

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Will check that and post back but hoping I can resolve it without
    reformatting and reinstalling.

    --

    Kenny

    Kenny, Oct 1, 2003
  4. There is a command for flushing the boot sector but off hand I can't remember.
    Check out www.bootdisk.com they may have an answer.

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    : Will check that and post back but hoping I can resolve it without
    : reformatting and reinstalling.
    :
    : Kenny

    : "Use.Netuser.de" <> wrote in message
    : news:blf44f$bk33k$-berlin.de...
    : > Was the boot sector write protected. I think that you must write enable
    : boot
    : > sector from the BIOS then format.
    : >
    : > "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    : > news:blf2q3$bgp1g$-berlin.de...
[...]
    : > :
    : > : Kenny
    : >
    : >
    :
    :
    Use.Netuser.de, Oct 1, 2003
  5. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Never thought of checking msconfig! It was there and I used the
    "check all paths" option and it told me:
    "it appears the following line in boot.ini does not refer to a valid OS,
    (long line here), would you like to remove it from boot.ini. Clicked yes,
    restarted and it started normally. Funny thing is I still can't find
    boot.ini yet I can find a backup of the unmodified boot.ini in PSS folder.
    I have enabled "show hidden files" and "show system files". General tab of
    msconfig says I'm now using a modified boot.ini. Still curious as to how
    the problem arose in the first place, format and reinstall went very
    smoothly.

    Kenny, Oct 1, 2003