    that formatting it might affect the cd drive and render the cd-rw
    useless. Thanks for any help.

    , Jan 1, 2006

  2. Unk Guest

    On 31 Dec 2005 22:56:31 -0800, wrote:

    >I have been given an old Hewlett Packard Pavillion Computer by a
    >friend. The computer still has many of his games and programs on it
    >including Windows 98. I was going to format the hardrive and install my
    >copy of Windows Me. I noticed the Hewlett Packard had a Cd-Rw drive and
    >didn't know if the format of the hardrive would cause the Cd-Rw to not
    >be recognized or cease to work after the format. I do not have any of
    >the orignial software that came with this computer, so I was afraid
    >that formatting it might affect the cd drive and render the cd-rw
    >useless. Thanks for any help.

    You should just remove old software and keep '98. WinME is the pits. If you MUST, use "My
    Drivers 3.11" to backup the drivers. (audio, video, NIC, modem, CD/DVD, etc.)
    http://www.zhangduo.com/driverbackup.html

    Unk, Jan 1, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > I have been given an old Hewlett Packard Pavillion Computer by a
    > friend. The computer still has many of his games and programs on it
    > including Windows 98. I was going to format the hardrive and install my
    > copy of Windows Me. I noticed the Hewlett Packard had a Cd-Rw drive and
    > didn't know if the format of the hardrive would cause the Cd-Rw to not
    > be recognized or cease to work after the format. I do not have any of
    > the orignial software that came with this computer, so I was afraid
    > that formatting it might affect the cd drive and render the cd-rw
    > useless. Thanks for any help.

    Not sure about your particular machine, but most HPs you can hit F10
    during startup and get to the hidden restore partition. As Unk said,
    leave ME out of the picture, just use 98. If the restore partition is
    usuable, it'll install all the drivers for the hardware that came in the
    machine originally.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 1, 2006
  4. <> wrote in message
    > I have been given an old Hewlett Packard Pavillion Computer by a
    > friend. The computer still has many of his games and programs on it
    > including Windows 98. I was going to format the hardrive and install my
    > copy of Windows Me. I noticed the Hewlett Packard had a Cd-Rw drive and
    > didn't know if the format of the hardrive would cause the Cd-Rw to not
    > be recognized or cease to work after the format. I do not have any of
    > the orignial software that came with this computer, so I was afraid
    > that formatting it might affect the cd drive and render the cd-rw
    > useless. Thanks for any help.

    Win 98 to Win ME is a def downgrade. If you must do it, the worst that will
    happen is that the cd/rw drive will be seen as a standard cd. The ability to
    r/w comes from the burning software that you use i.e. nero. Providing you
    have some sort of cd burning software to install you should be ok.

    Steve and Debs, Jan 1, 2006
  5. philo Guest

    wrote:
    > I have been given an old Hewlett Packard Pavillion Computer by a
    > friend. The computer still has many of his games and programs on it
    > including Windows 98. I was going to format the hardrive and install my
    > copy of Windows Me. I noticed the Hewlett Packard had a Cd-Rw drive and
    > didn't know if the format of the hardrive would cause the Cd-Rw to not
    > be recognized or cease to work after the format. I do not have any of
    > the orignial software that came with this computer, so I was afraid
    > that formatting it might affect the cd drive and render the cd-rw
    > useless. Thanks for any help.

    If you install winME you will no longer have the CD-burning
    software and there may be some drivers missing.
    Not only that winME takes a lot more resources than win98...
    so the machine will run a lot slower.

    Best thing to do is just uninstall all the stuff you don't need...
    then run defrag.
    Unless the machine has some serious software problems...I'd
    leave win98 on there as-is

    philo, Jan 1, 2006
  6. <> wrote in message
    I have been given an old Hewlett Packard Pavillion Computer by a
    friend. The computer still has many of his games and programs on it
    including Windows 98. I was going to format the hardrive and install my
    copy of Windows Me. I noticed the Hewlett Packard had a Cd-Rw drive and
    didn't know if the format of the hardrive would cause the Cd-Rw to not
    be recognized or cease to work after the format. I do not have any of
    the orignial software that came with this computer, so I was afraid
    that formatting it might affect the cd drive and render the cd-rw
    useless. Thanks for any help.

    Avoid Windows ME - they only OS named after a disease - and for good reason!

    **SS**

    secret squiddle, Jan 1, 2006
  7. Howdy!

    "secret squiddle" <> wrote in message

    > Avoid Windows ME - they only OS named after a disease - and for good

    reason!

    I'm in favor of avoiding WinME also (sounds like something you'd
    hear in an S&M bar), but what disease is it named after?

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Jan 1, 2006

    > Avoid Windows ME - they only OS named after a disease - and for good

    reason!

    I'm in favor of avoiding WinME also (sounds like something you'd
    hear in an S&M bar), but what disease is it named after?

    RwP

    Why ME of course!

    **SS**

    secret squiddle, Jan 1, 2006
  9. old jon Guest

    > Howdy!
    >
    > "secret squiddle" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Avoid Windows ME - they only OS named after a disease - and for good

    > reason!
    >>

    > I'm in favor of avoiding WinME also (sounds like something you'd
    > hear in an S&M bar), but what disease is it named after?
    >
    > RwP

    Hi Ralph just pinched this for you:

    a.. Myalgic Encephalopathy (ME) (a term which we feel is more appropriate
    than the orginal, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis)
    b.. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
    c.. Post-Viral Fatigue Syndrome (PVFS)
    d.. Chronic Fatigue Immune Dysfunction Syndrome (CFIDS) .
    Happy new year..OJ

    old jon, Jan 1, 2006
  10. Ben Myers Guest

    Go into the BIOS setup, change the boot sequence so that CD is first
    and save the change. Then try booting from your Windows CD. If
    that doesn't work, change the boot sequence so that "A:" is first, then
    go to http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and create a Windows
    ME boot disk. Use it to start the computer and see if CD drive is
    recognized.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Jan 1, 2006
  11. Plato Guest

    98SE is way better than winMe. Put SE on.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 2, 2006