    do I need to use some other type of software ?

    Any help or advice would be appreciated ..

    George ..

    George, Jan 21, 2004

  2. George

    kulm_nd Guest

    No. The data must be overwritten at least 3 times so get a program that like
    Norton. There should be some freeware/shareware ones also.

    g-w

    kulm_nd, Jan 21, 2004

  3. "George" <> wrote in message
    > I am selling a computer that I have been using as a dual
    > business/pleasure machine .
    > I have 2 drives one with WinXP installed the second with Mandrake
    > Linux 9.2 .
    >
    > I have used the XP drive exclusively for my business needs and there
    > are some sensitive documents stored in various directories .
    >
    > The Linux drive I used only for pleasure , internet access etc.
    > and will just format this drive with the fat 32 file system .
    >
    > My question is will a simple fat 32 format be secure enough to
    > make recovery of my business documents impossible in futre or
    > do I need to use some other type of software ?
    >
    > Any help or advice would be appreciated ..

    There are various tools out there that will certainly make it a lot harder
    to retrieve anything.

    I've used SDelete in the past
    (http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/sdelete.shtml), but the only way
    to be truly sure involves a clubhammer or a blowtorch.

    --

    Hairy One Kenobi

    in the first place. So there!

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 21, 2004
  4. George

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:57:38 GMT, George <> wrote:

    >I am selling a computer that I have been using as a dual
    >business/pleasure machine .

    You have one of these, don'tcha:

    http://www.blissbox.com/store/detail.asp?productid=1516

    >My question is will a simple fat 32 format be secure enough to
    >make recovery of my business documents impossible in futre or
    >do I need to use some other type of software ?

    Unless you use a secure delete utility of some kind, the answer to
    your question is no.

    [ Doc Jeff ], Jan 21, 2004
  5. I'm in chorus with the rest. Use a utility like Symantec's GDisk to "wipe" the data.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jan 21, 2004
  6. George

    George Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 23:17:08 GMT, "David H. Lipman"
    <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote:

    >I'm in chorus with the rest. Use a utility like Symantec's GDisk to "wipe" the data.
    >
    >Dave

    Thanks to all for the advice :)

    George !!

    George, Jan 22, 2004
  7. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > I'm in chorus with the rest. Use a utility like Symantec's GDisk to

    "wipe" the data.

    Erm, FDISK with different spelling, no? Does *nothing* to the actual data on
    the disk.

    You could (showing my age here) pay a lot of money to get-in a company that
    will guarantee that they will extend the life of your diskpacks- did
    approximately the same for our 'packs as Fat Man did for Nagasaki.

    Apart from the "suntan".

    Funnily enough, I've never even made the connection before..!

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 22, 2004
  8. GDisk is a partitioning and wiping utility and a version is included with all versions of
    Symantec Ghost and probably other Symantec suites.

    Go to the following URL:
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/manuals/

    Look for the PDF - "DoDwipe.pdf"

    While the software conforms to the latest DoD specifications for wiping a hard disk that
    does NOT mean the DoD nor the individual services have approved this software to wipe DoD
    hard disks. The US Army spcifically dos not. However, for business or personal use the
    utility will do the job excellently.

    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Jan 22, 2004
  9. George

    Mailman Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:57:38 +0000, George wrote:

    > I am selling a computer that I have been using as a dual
    > business/pleasure machine .
    > I have 2 drives one with WinXP installed the second with Mandrake
    > Linux 9.2 .
    >
    > I have used the XP drive exclusively for my business needs and there
    > are some sensitive documents stored in various directories .
    >
    > The Linux drive I used only for pleasure , internet access etc.
    > and will just format this drive with the fat 32 file system .
    >
    > My question is will a simple fat 32 format be secure enough to
    > make recovery of my business documents impossible in futre or
    > do I need to use some other type of software ?
    >
    > Any help or advice would be appreciated ..
    >
    > George ..

    The question is "how sensitive". The more sensitive, the more effort
    someone would be willing to invest to recover them, all the way to taking
    a tunneling electron microscope to the hard disk platters.

    If the sensitivity is at the "ouch" level a simple format (or better -
    fdisk changing the partition table + format) would do.

    If it's jail-time for you but (relatively) little financial gain for
    someone else use an erasure utility (Symantec's GDisk comes to mind),
    followed by fdisk and format as above.

    If it's "numbered bank account"/"human life" sensitive take the disk out,
    take it apart, bake the platters in a furnace for at least an hour,
    sandblast them and cut them into pieces. Dispose of the pieces in garbage
    dumps in separate cities (countries if you can).
    --
    Mailman

    Mailman, Jan 22, 2004
  10. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > GDisk is a partitioning and wiping utility and a version is included with

    all versions of
    > Symantec Ghost and probably other Symantec suites.
    >
    > Go to the following URL:
    > ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/products/ghost/manuals/
    >
    > Look for the PDF - "DoDwipe.pdf"
    >
    > While the software conforms to the latest DoD specifications for wiping a

    hard disk that
    > does NOT mean the DoD nor the individual services have approved this

    software to wipe DoD
    > hard disks. The US Army spcifically dos not. However, for business or

    personal use the
    > utility will do the job excellently.

    Good point - I'd forgotten that. (Yup, I have a copy already /and/ have used
    the function - which makes my error even more unforgivable!)

    Can't confirm that it works, though - IIRC the only time that I did use it
    (dying Maxtor 80GB drive), I gave up after 24 hours.

    SDelete did the job in a fraction of the time (I suspect that the disk
    access code is the same as in Ghost, i.e. it can't cope with a knackered
    drive)

    H1K

    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 22, 2004
  11. George

    Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    nt says...
    > I am selling a computer that I have been using as a dual
    > business/pleasure machine .
    > I have 2 drives one with WinXP installed the second with Mandrake
    > Linux 9.2 .
    >
    > I have used the XP drive exclusively for my business needs and there
    > are some sensitive documents stored in various directories .
    >
    > The Linux drive I used only for pleasure , internet access etc.
    > and will just format this drive with the fat 32 file system .
    >
    > My question is will a simple fat 32 format be secure enough to
    > make recovery of my business documents impossible in futre or
    > do I need to use some other type of software ?
    >
    > Any help or advice would be appreciated ..

    Get a program called Eraser and have it do a 255 pattern write to the
    drive - I use an older copy of it and find that nothing I can get my
    hands on will recover anything.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Jan 22, 2004
  12. George

    George Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 05:53:29 +0100, Mailman <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 12:57:38 +0000, George wrote:
    >
    >> I am selling a computer that I have been using as a dual
    >> business/pleasure machine .
    >> I have 2 drives one with WinXP installed the second with Mandrake
    >> Linux 9.2 .
    >>
    >> I have used the XP drive exclusively for my business needs and there
    >> are some sensitive documents stored in various directories .
    >>
    >> The Linux drive I used only for pleasure , internet access etc.
    >> and will just format this drive with the fat 32 file system .
    >>
    >> My question is will a simple fat 32 format be secure enough to
    >> make recovery of my business documents impossible in futre or
    >> do I need to use some other type of software ?
    >>
    >> Any help or advice would be appreciated ..
    >>
    >> George ..

    >The question is "how sensitive". The more sensitive, the more effort
    >someone would be willing to invest to recover them, all the way to taking
    >a tunneling electron microscope to the hard disk platters.
    >
    >If the sensitivity is at the "ouch" level a simple format (or better -
    >fdisk changing the partition table + format) would do.
    >
    >If it's jail-time for you but (relatively) little financial gain for
    >someone else use an erasure utility (Symantec's GDisk comes to mind),
    >followed by fdisk and format as above.
    >
    >If it's "numbered bank account"/"human life" sensitive take the disk out,
    >take it apart, bake the platters in a furnace for at least an hour,
    >sandblast them and cut them into pieces. Dispose of the pieces in garbage
    >dumps in separate cities (countries if you can).

    The sensitive data I refer to is mainly client addresses and invoicing
    and some personal information about clients etc , no way life
    threatening but still data I would rather keep private .

    Thanks for the input .

    George ..

    George, Jan 22, 2004