    by another process. tried to force a dismount. Tells me "cannot lock the
    drive, volume is still in use". Can anyone tell me how to get around
    this. Can't figure out what this other process is. Thanks
    john jackman, Jan 19, 2005

  2. john jackman

    D@Z Guest

    im sure I have had this before, its because the hard drive is being used by
    the operating system I think, I got round this by using the boot up disc and
    formatting the drive from DOS

    D@Z, Jan 19, 2005

  3. john jackman

    G. Morgan Guest

    Subject: format problem
    Newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    => john jackman <= wrote:

    > I'm trying to format a hard drive on another computer that is running
    >windows 2000. tells me format can't continue because the volume is in use
    >by another process. tried to force a dismount. Tells me "cannot lock the
    >drive, volume is still in use". Can anyone tell me how to get around
    >this. Can't figure out what this other process is. Thanks

    hahahhahahahaaha!!!! Your OS maybe???

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Jan 19, 2005
  4. john jackman

    edard Guest

    john jackman wrote:

    > I'm trying to format a hard drive on another computer that is running
    > windows 2000. tells me format can't continue because the volume is in use
    > by another process. tried to force a dismount. Tells me "cannot lock the
    > drive, volume is still in use". Can anyone tell me how to get around
    > this. Can't figure out what this other process is. Thanks

    Boot from a boot disk that has Format on it.
    HTH
    edard, Jan 19, 2005
  5. john jackman

    °Mike° Guest

    You never mentioned it this is a second hard drive
    or the system drive -- you cannot format a drive that
    Windows is booted from and is using. You can get
    around this by booting from the Windows CD and
    follow the instructions.

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:51:35 -0500, in
    <b4yHd.32861$>
    john jackman scrawled:

    > I'm trying to format a hard drive on another computer that is running
    >windows 2000. tells me format can't continue because the volume is in use
    >by another process. tried to force a dismount. Tells me "cannot lock the
    >drive, volume is still in use". Can anyone tell me how to get around
    >this. Can't figure out what this other process is. Thanks

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 19, 2005
  6. john jackman

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Jan 19, 2005
  7. john jackman

    john jackman Guest

    was able to solve it from the dos prompt. Boot disk Problem also. Thanks
    everyone

    john jackman, Jan 19, 2005
  8. john jackman

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:00:42 -0500, in
    <C4zHd.48416$>
    john jackman scrawled:

    >was able to solve it from the dos prompt. Boot disk Problem also. Thanks
    >everyone
    >
    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> You never mentioned it this is a second hard drive
    >> or the system drive -- you cannot format a drive that
    >> Windows is booted from and is using. You can get
    >> around this by booting from the Windows CD and
    >> follow the instructions.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance