    Running Windows 2003 Server.
    Originally set up all partions in FAT32.

    darkrats
    darkrats, Nov 12, 2003

  2. Howdy!

    "darkrats" <> wrote in message
    news:Lezsb.377661$6C4.129330@pd7tw1no...
    > I have a single hard drive divided into logical drives C, D, E, F.
    > Decided to format D and F drives (in Windows). Did F drive okay and then
    > went to do D drive, only to find the only choice in the drop-down menu is
    > NTFS. Any way to get this to format FAT32 without FDISKing or some other
    > radical approach?

    Why are you formating them? Would not a delete-all do the job?

    Second, how large? I've not seen in 2K3 Server, but in 2K and XP,
    if it was 32G or larger, NTFS was the only choice.

    Well, you COULD boot from a Win98 boot diskette and format that way

    RwP
    Ralph Wade Phillips, Nov 13, 2003

  3. darkrats

    SA Guest

    In news:Lezsb.377661$6C4.129330@pd7tw1no,
    darkrats <> decided to type the following message
    > I have a single hard drive divided into logical drives C, D, E, F.
    > Decided to format D and F drives (in Windows). Did F drive okay and
    > then went to do D drive, only to find the only choice in the
    > drop-down menu is NTFS. Any way to get this to format FAT32 without
    > FDISKing or some other radical approach?
    >
    > Running Windows 2003 Server.
    > Originally set up all partions in FAT32.
    >

    > darkrats

    I think you have to format all of your drives to FAT32. I am not sure on
    this though. Good luck.
    SA, Nov 13, 2003
  4. darkrats

    Harrison Guest

    Powerquest Partition Magic

    Harrison, Nov 13, 2003
  5. darkrats

    darkrats Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    Been doing some reading and discovered that Windows 2K/XP/2K3 will not allow
    you to format a larger than 32GB drive as FAT, only as NTFS. But also
    discovered that you can format the drive as FAT if you use a Win98 bootdisk
    and do the format in DOS.

    In short, if you have a 32GB+ drive, you will only see NTFS in the drop down
    menu. Keep them under 32GB and you will have the option of doing a format in
    either file system.

    darkrats

    darkrats, Nov 13, 2003