    Pete Guest

    How do I format my computer with windows XP. I want to get rid of
    everything and start again. Too many pop up adds etc. thanks in advance

    Pete, May 2, 2004

  2. "Pete" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > How do I format my computer with windows XP. I want to get rid of
    > everything and start again. Too many pop up adds etc. thanks in advance

    Put your xp disc on and set you bios to boot from the cd.
    Have the disc in when u boot the pc
    The cd will guide you through the format process

    Gaz

    Gareth not NLL or anybody else., May 2, 2004

  3. Pete

    Martik Guest

    How to perform a quick 'restore' of XP:

    Create a 6gb partition for XP only, keep all your data on another partition.
    This allows you to format C: independently of your data.

    Now do a fresh install of XP, all your apps and settings and microsoft
    patches.

    This is your baseline install.

    Create a 3gb fat32 partition to make an image of your base install.

    Create a boot floppy.

    Download savepart.exe from http://partition-saving.com/ and copy it to the
    boot floppy.

    Reboot with the floppy and enter 'savepart' and choose 'save an element',
    unoccupied sector, compression 1 and direct the file to the fat32 partition.
    There is an option to verify the file after you are done.

    You now have a partition image of your baseline install which can be
    restored in under 5 mins. You don't have to reformat your C: partition
    before doing so, just boot from the floppy and choose restore.

    Martik, May 2, 2004
  4. Pete

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Pete" <> wrote in message
    > How do I format my computer with windows XP. I want to get rid of
    > everything and start again. Too many pop up adds etc. thanks in advance

    And what makes you think reinstalling Windows will stop the pop up ads?

    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004
  5. yep what about using ad ware or spybot or even restoring the system ?
    Worked for me....

    news: ...

    AMPERE CHRISTIAN, May 2, 2004
  6. Pete

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Yeah - nothing like overkill <g>! Then again, they be having other problems
    that they didn't bother explaining. Personally, I would hate to re-install
    and try to get everything on my system back to working the way I want it
    too. Hours and hours of work...

    Toolman Tim, May 2, 2004
  7. Pete

    SgtMinor Guest

    The vast majority of people who reformat a hard drive, after getting an
    answer to their "how-do-I-do-this" post, regret it.

    SgtMinor, May 2, 2004