    Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
    Thanks,
    John

    John Smith, Dec 28, 2004

  2. John Smith

    mdp Guest

    Essentially you need a boot disk, the program FORMAT.COM on your boot disk,
    and the command:

    A:\>FORMAT C: /S

    The /S is optional command (called a switch) which will make your harddisk
    bootable as well as formatted.

    Full explanation found here.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/txtfiles/hdd.txt

    Format appears in section 4. Bootdisks can be found at the same site.

    mdp, Dec 28, 2004

  3. John Smith

    Brian Guest

    "John Smith" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the

    cause
    > is hardware or software.
    > Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
    > as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
    > Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
    > that?
    > Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
    > Thanks,
    > John

    download a windows 95 boot disk here:

    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    when u run the .exe make sure you have a (preferably formatted) diskette in
    your 3.5" drive

    and then read, print or write down if possible before proceeding

    Brian, Dec 28, 2004
  4. John Smith

    Brian Guest

    "Brian" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > "John Smith" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the

    > cause
    > > is hardware or software.
    > > Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it

    up
    > > as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing

    etc.
    > > Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
    > > that?
    > > Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after

    formatting.
    > > Thanks,
    > > John
    > >

    > download a windows 95 boot disk here:
    >
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    >
    > when u run the .exe make sure you have a (preferably formatted) diskette

    in
    > your 3.5" drive
    >
    > and then read, print or write down if possible before proceeding

    forgotten link:
    http://home.pacbell.net/dbk4297/win95b.html

    Brian, Dec 28, 2004
  5. John Smith

    Ron Martell Guest

    "mdp" <> wrote:

    >Essentially you need a boot disk, the program FORMAT.COM on your boot disk,
    >and the command:
    >
    >A:\>FORMAT C: /S
    >
    >The /S is optional command (called a switch) which will make your harddisk
    >bootable as well as formatted.

    Formatting with the /S option is totally unnecessary if Windows (any
    version 95 or later) is going to be installed. It can also cause
    complications with the install of certain types of Windows (especially
    OEM products) as they sometimes object to the presence of another
    operating system on the hard drive.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Dec 28, 2004
  6. John Smith

    Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:22:28 -0000, "John Smith"
    <> wrote:

    |> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
    |> is hardware or software.
    |> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
    |> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
    |> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
    |> that?
    |> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
    |> Thanks,
    |> John

    As everybody else mentioned plus: seeing as this is a WIn95 system
    (small hard drive)

    At the A:\> prompt type in
    FORMAT C: /S /U
    <enter>

    The /U switch prevents an uninstall (unformat) file to be saved to the
    hard drive which can be very large, and not needed if your going to
    Win98.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/4gdp7

    , Dec 28, 2004
  7. John Smith

    <> wrote:

    |> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
    |> is hardware or software.
    |> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
    |> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
    |> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
    |> that?
    |> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.

    --Had to cancel my first message, Ron's post made me realize
    something.--

    Seeing as this is Win95 your not going to have CD access once you format
    your drive.

    A Win98 boot disk will also allow you to access your hard drive you'll
    be asked if you wish to do this when you boot up.

    Download this (double click) Win98 bootdisk:
    http://users.pandora.be/littlebrother/downloads/boot98.exe
    From boot.com http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    create a boot disk by running it and installing it on a floppy.

    Boot up with the floppy and format as mentioned
    Format c: /s

    /S so your hard drive will boot up after the format (just in case).

    Then access your CD and install 98.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/4gdp7

    , Dec 28, 2004
  8. John Smith

    <> wrote:

    |> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
    |> is hardware or software.
    |> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
    |> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
    |> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
    |> that?
    |> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.

    --Had to cancel my first message, Ron's post made me realize
    something.--

    Seeing as this is Win95 your not going to have CD access once you format
    your drive.

    A Win98 boot disk will also allow you to access your CD drive, you'll be

    From boot.com http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    create a boot disk by running it and installing it on a floppy.

    Boot up with the floppy and format as mentioned
    Format c: /s

    /S so your hard drive will boot up after the format (just in case).

    Then access your CD and install 98.

    --
    http://tinyurl.com/4gdp7

    , Dec 28, 2004
  9. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:22:28 -0000, "John Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > |> We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the
    > cause
    > |> is hardware or software.
    > |> Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it
    > up
    > |> as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing
    > etc.
    > |> Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I
    > do
    > |> that?
    > |> Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after
    > formatting.
    >
    > --Had to cancel my first message, Ron's post made me realize
    > something.--
    >
    > Seeing as this is Win95 your not going to have CD access once you format
    > your drive.
    >
    > A Win98 boot disk will also allow you to access your CD drive, you'll be
    > asked if you wish to do this when you boot up.
    >
    > Download this (double click) Win98 bootdisk:
    > http://users.pandora.be/littlebrother/downloads/boot98.exe
    > From boot.com http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
    >
    > create a boot disk by running it and installing it on a floppy.
    >
    > Boot up with the floppy and format as mentioned
    > Format c: /s
    >
    > /S so your hard drive will boot up after the format (just in case).
    >
    > Then access your CD and install 98.
    >

    > --
    > http://tinyurl.com/4gdp7

    ------------------
    OK, Many thanks,
    John
    ------------

    John Smith, Dec 28, 2004
  10. John Smith

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 16:22:28 -0000, "John Smith" <> wrote:

    >We have an old pc..Every now and again it freezes...don't know if the cause
    >is hardware or software.
    >Am tempted to throw it...but have decided to give it a chance and do it up
    >as a non-internet pc to be used by young daughter for word processing etc.
    >Will attempt to format the hard drive for starters...briefly how do I do
    >that?

    format c:

    >Its currently running with Windows95 but will install 98 after formatting.
    >Thanks,
    >John

    -Barry
    ========
    "I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
    their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
    in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    [A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

    Barry OGrady, Dec 28, 2004